A tactical questioning

Sviar

Hi

I am close to field my first scout attack. I am bringing five them in a LSS, while five CC infiltrating into the enemy and the third attack is Shrike and five Assult marines. Now this would work marvelous if I get to go first in the first turn. But how do you do when you got to go second in the first turn.

This is pretty much my army and I'll admit that I actually prefer to go second. You must stay enticingly close and bait the enemy while staying far enough away that you don't get assaulted yourself. While you can't pre measure you do have a certain distance you must stay away from the enemy so it's like a free pass to pre measure. The alpha strike is fun but with my dice my opponent normally breaks out of it and rolls up the rest of my army with some ease. I try to make it a bitter fight for every inch of ground but my dice won't let me.

Thanks for the reply. I too is having some issues with my dices, the only comfort is that you feel at ease when your rolling to pass a test :)

My next fight is in a week or so. I guess the only way to figure this one out is trying to play as many matches as you can until you have gotten a feel for it.

all units with infiltrate can also outflank (including shrike and his unit).. if you are facing a gunline or shooty heavy army its best not to deploy them in hopes of a turn 2 charge..

they will die before that happens.

outflanking is extremely fun and wiuth a LSS or jump packs youve got an 18" threat range on the turn you arrive..

you also have a 2/3rds chance of coming on your favoured side

GC08's scout stuff is amazing and definitely worth a read. But if you're dice are abysmal like mine then you're army will come in piecemeal and on the wrong side every time. The few games that outflanking has worked out, and math hammer was correct, were amazing. But I play for fun so the look on my opponents face when he doesn't have anything to set up for is just priceless. Or when 20+ scouts are in assault range with shrike and an assault squad? It's quite a fun army for all the deployment choices. And no I never feel safe rolling for leadership checks. That's when my 6's come out to play

the dice god is a fickle mistress.

ive been blessed ever since i brought some chessex custom weighted ultramarine dice

*Cough* ;)

Yup, I tend to outflank with my Shrike list if I get second turn.

Fleet helps make up for bad outflanking rolls as you get the extra D6" assault range to help ^_^

Outflanking is great when it works but if you're opponent expects it he'll castle up in the center so you have to take an extra turn or 2 to get in assault range (I have lazy runners. 1 inch the majority of the time) if you deploy second and you have the space then infiltrate his flanks and put the pressure on turn 1. I've found that the deployment of a scout force has some wonderful psychological effects on my opponent because I have 3 choices for just about my entire force. Also my lgs has a scenario book that has a few with alternating deployments and such. I enjoy giving my opponent nothing to work off of.

Outflanking is great when it works but if you're opponent expects it he'll castle up in the center

This isnt to bad either. It allows you to dictate where the fight happens and to keep him from moving out to the sides with his troops to grab objectives. and if he does move a unit or to out to grab objectives then hes basicaly giving you the assault the turn you come in.

one of my buddies plays his guard army just like that and i usualy focus fire on a transport on the side which allows a multi charge between the tank and the dislodged unit to keep from a single turn mop up and the subsequent shooting.

Archived