MSU: Devistators

Master Melta

My experience with Devs is pretty extensive and 200 points for a 5 wound unit with a BS5 lascannon that can't move and shoot (with a Razorback) doesn't feel flexible, it feels...forced.. A 2 lascannon Sternguard squad or Devs with a lascannon and 2 missile launchers runs you 230 points. Both of those squads can provide the fire support you're looking for at a minor point increase and should be significantly more effective.

As for the other Lascannon options floating around, let's take a look:

Autocannon/Lascannon Predator: Coming in at 120 points you get 2 lascannons and an autocannon. Obvious downsides include vulnerability to lucky one shot AT fire and ineffectiveness when forced to move. Not too bad considering a Razorback costs more than half of this vehicle.

Dreadnought: Not a great platform for lascannons in my opinion. Worse AV than a Predator and more expensive to boot. However, it can move and fire two weapons.

Land Raider: Expensive and a huge fire draw. AV14 is nothing to scoff at but concentrated fire (or a bunch of melta) will make 250 points hurt a lot.

Tactical Squads: 180 points minimum for a lascannon. Luckily, the unit is scoring and you have to take Troop choices. Those are the only real upsides here.

Not that this idea can't work, but it seems like there are better ways to spend your points if you want long range anti-tank. However, the table will ultimately decide how this works. Give it a shot in a bunch of games and let us all know how it went :yes:

You are not mentioning that the LasPlas Razorback not only has a gun but can carry and protect troops. In combination with other fire platforms that gives you some saturation.

And you get 2 LCs with 5 Sternguards and a Rhino for 190. Not a bad deal.

Alex

3 x BS5 Las cannons.

Has this already been mentioned? The signum grants BS5 to one model only.

I did consider a 5 man squad in a razorback but thought this was a sub optimal choice as if they are embarked they can't fire and when they are out in the open there are only 5 guys so you lose those expensive heavy weapons that much quicker.

I had success with a 10 man dev squad with one lascannon (to capitalise on the BS5) and 3x missile launchers for support and crowd control. At 250pts this is a massive pile of points for 4 heavy weapons but crucially I did run them in conjunction with a Thunderfire Cannon. The Techmarine's bolster defences meant that they were usually granted a 3+ cover save and became a real problem for my opponent to shift / neutralise without devoting a disproportional amount of firepower to do so.

This set up really needs 10 men to soak up casualties without losing effectiveness and hence gets very pricey. For example you could get 2 x Autocannons and 4x Lascannons on 2 preds for for that money but one lucky shot and you lose half of those weapons in one go. Not to mention possible problems with firing arcs on those sponsons.

Whether you take the razorback or not I really think you want a full 10man squad. I know you feel like your splashing out 70pts for 5 guys that offer nothing to the offensive capability of your devs role but they are an investment in keeping your expensive heavy weapons alive. Even more so if you want to spam lascannons.

Hope this helps buddy, good luck!

3 x BS5 Las cannons.

Has this already been mentioned? The signum grants BS5 to one model only.

You do if there's three signums though. Read his post again, 3x 5 man squads with 1 lascannon and a TL-LC Razorback. So three squads, 1 lascannon in each squad, and more crucially, one Sergeant in each squad, giving him 3 BS5 lascannons.

I had success with a 10 man dev squad with one lascannon (to capitalise on the BS5) and 3x missile launchers for support and crowd control. At 250pts this is a massive pile of points for 4 heavy weapons but crucially I did run them in conjunction with a Thunderfire Cannon. The Techmarine's bolster defences meant that they were usually granted a 3+ cover save and became a real problem for my opponent to shift / neutralise without devoting a disproportional amount of firepower to do so.

I used to run this too, with a TL-HB Razorback for more crowd control (and the lack of points I had to make it a TL-LC). Worked pretty well, able to down vehicles quite nicely. The points weren't really an issue for me back then, as they did their job and stayed alive. It was DoW that made me change them, hated having to footslog them onto the table and set up. Of course, now I'd prefer for them to have a points reduction before use again, but I enjoyed using this unit immensely.

Archived