Codex SM Honour guard

OptiMAT

So, the smallest honour guard squad you can have includes 2 Guard and 1 Company Champion.

Each model's 'standard' weaponry is:

Power Weapon

Boltgun

Bolt pistol

The Champion only can take as replacements:

a Combat Blade, Thunder Hammer

The Champion only can take as extra to the above:

Digital Lasers

Any model can take, without replacements written as a requirement:

Relic Blade, Aux Grenade Launcher

My question is this...

If a Company Champion takes Relic Blade, does this mean his weaponry list goes to:

Relic Blade, Power Weapon, Bolt Pistol, Boltgun

(and therefore I need to model on another power sword to the Emperor's Champion model that I'm using)

Or, are the relic blades replacements for Power Weapons?

I would expect replacements, as Relic Blades in the wargear section are suggested to be large 2 handed weapons like the Champion's claymore-like sword. I'm having enough trouble modelling on Boltguns, pistols, and a power weapon. To have to add another weapon on to the model is going to make it cluttered.

Please Help.

well yes it does end up with all four, how odd, however the WYSIWYG deals primarily with options, the fact that it comes with bolt pistol, power weapon and bolter BASE means, like the frag and krak grenades, you dont have to be so adament about modeling them, its understood. Only things that are different from the base absolutly need to be modeled. I perosnaly would not model the power weapon (or say thats the sheathed dager at his side, most SM models have one somewere) and just model the relic blade. After all having a relic blade and power weapon means you are now under the "multiple special weapons rule" and will never get the aditional attack for power weapon+bolt pistol, even when using the power weapon. Thus the only reason to ever use the power weapon is if you want to strike at S4 instead of S6 (aka you are trying to not kill something, which considering the PRICE of honor guard, is a real waste of resorces)

After all having a relic blade and power weapon means you are now under the "multiple special weapons rule" and will never get the aditional attack for power weapon+bolt pistol, even when using the power weapon. Thus the only reason to ever use the power weapon is if you want to strike at S4 instead of S6 (aka you are trying to not kill something, which considering the PRICE of honor guard, is a real waste of resorces)

This is not quite correct. He has the choice of fighting with the Relic Blade, which precludes the use of the Power Weapon - thus he is only wielding one Special Close Combat weapon, and not subject to the rule you're citing. Or, he can choose to wield the Power Weapon (which means he can't choose to also wield the Relic Blade) and the Bolt pistol - thus he is wielding one Special Weapon and one normal weapon, and would get the +1A for Two Close Combat Weapons. The Two different special weapons rule is a section within the FIGHTING WITH TWO SINGLE-HANDED WEAPONS section - it does not apply in this circumstance as he will never be fighting with both of the Special Close Combat weapons he is equipped with.

Thanks for the responses.

I wonder if this is why the Champion has the option to switch the power weapon for a standard combat knife for free, which seems pointless otherwise.

Relic blades dont allow for +1A in their own Wargear entry so even a one-handed Relic blade will count as two handed anyway.

Thanks for the responses.

I wonder if this is why the Champion has the option to switch the power weapon for a standard combat knife for free, which seems pointless otherwise.

Relic blades dont allow for +1A in their own Wargear entry so even a one-handed Relic blade will count as two handed anyway.

I believe the reason the champion can have a combat blade is because the ultramarine champion model wields two blades instead of blade/bolter like the others.

Kinda like the quite useless shotguns for scout bikers, to ensure WYSIWYG.

Archived