Assaulting necron vehicles.

Taranis

I met the new necron yesterday and assaulted one of their vehicles. As I hadn't penetrated it yet it had rear armour 13. I didn't take it down in the first attempt. Anyone else met unexpected results vs necrons? Eventually he lost and I came second. It was a 3 way battle and the Tau player kept a low profile until he could steal the glory. :D I don't envy anyone who doesn't have decent close-combat equipment in their entire codex.

Yeah, really I haven't had any problems against Necrons in close combat, vehicles or otherwise. Wraiths give me a hard time simply because of the 3++, two wounds, and Whip Coils. :cuss those things! Everything else seems to be open topped and a skimmer so very easy to take out.

I really like the changes to the Monolith now. It's not so scary anymore. That, and I hardly see it being played by new Necron players thanks to all the great Heavy Support options they now have. As a matter of fact, the only people I see playing with a Monolith are the old school Necron players, and they are trying to play the army the same way it played prior to the new Codex- gimping themselves if you ask me.

Quantum shielding is only removed after the first penetrating hit. Any other hits do not remove it. As a new necron player my only surprise has been the lack of monstrous creature killing ranged weapons.

Tesla Destructors.

Strength 7 Supremecy will be the 'big' list.

Just calling it now :lol:

Edit:

It will be difficult for Blood Angel Vehicle centric lists to deal with the number of Tesla Desctructors a Necron list can bring.

What can we do to deal with mass str 7?

Land Raiders or DOA maybe?

all are skimmers but only some are fast and the only fast skimmer with Quantum shielding is the command barge (which has little shooting to speak of). That said many of the necron vehciles don't have more than 1 weapon worth firing (the other weapons would be a bonus if you fired them)

my point was that if they stand still to shoot your hitting them automaticly :P

if theyre not fast its also unlikely theyre going to be moving more then 6 inches. hitting on 4's isent bad and their rear is alot easier to pen then their up-armoured front :)

gotta love krak grenades ^_^ or you know... S5 furious charge hits :blush:

Really, the only ugly issue I ran into playing DoA against the new necrons were the mindswarm scarabs, but they're negated by careful positioning of models during assaults.

As for the vehicles, a furious charging thunder hammer or power fist put paid to them with little to no difficulty, especially after sprinkling them with meltagun fire.

By the way, Blood Lance does dirty, dirty, dirty things to phalanxes of Ghost Arks.

The thing to remember about mindswarms is that they are applied to a random model in base contact, so what is really important is to engage that model with regular guys if possible (or make it so that model can only engage normal guys).

dang, beaten to it....random model means that the chances of a sarg beeing effected isent 100% if there are other models present :)

if hes on his own, dang... either pass the LD or see some of your marines getting beaten to a pulp :(

The thing to remember about mindswarms is that they are applied to a random model in base contact, so what is really important is to engage that model with regular guys if possible (or make it so that model can only engage normal guys).

dang, beaten to it....random model means that the chances of a sarg beeing effected isent 100% if there are other models present :)

if hes on his own, dang... either pass the LD or see some of your marines getting beaten to a pulp :(

I have seen it used to good effect on terminator squads where the random model is fairly beefy either way.

Sure it would be nice in that case, the problem is that those termies are still likely going to stomp your necrons regardless (i.e. that one termi is going to kill maybe one termi, and then the other termies beat face on your necrons...

True enough. I have to admit when I watched it happen the squad was something like:

Over lord with some stuff,

1-2 Lords with some stuff

Some Crypteks with some stuff.

And so like 2-3 of the terminators were all Shackled and then used to kill one another. An interesting tactic.

Sure, that would work but then you are looking at more points than the termi squad.

Lets assume that you have the overlord minimum with Scyth and scarabs thats 115

Then 2 lords with the same is another 120

Right there we are looking at 235 points for 3 models (5 wounds) with 3+ saves and no invul saves. Once you start adding things like phase shifters or 2+ saves you are looking at like another 100 ish points + crypteks (say even 3-4 naked) so another 100, So then you have like 500+ points tied up in 7 models that are really not going to earn those points back in CC.

Sure, that would work but then you are looking at more points than the termi squad.

Right there we are looking at 235 points for 3 models (5 wounds) with 3+ saves and no invul saves. Once you start adding things like phase shifters or 2+ saves you are looking at like another 100 ish points + crypteks (say even 3-4 naked) so another 100, So then you have like 500+ points tied up in 7 models that are really not going to earn those points back in CC.

true. But I could see it being an interesting and potentially good squad to use. :lol:

true. But I could see it being an interesting and potentially good squad to use. :P

hmmm id like to use my termie squad with added termie characters against that :) at those point costs you can feasibly wield them for the points :D (though mind, its still a big part of your army)

units of 20 warriros dissapeared quikly enough in the 1 game that i played them (yes i know not a world of experience but still :P ) i assaulted them with an (relativly) unscathed assault squad. with a liby and SP nearby to provide buffs :) with only 1 attack apiece theyre not that much of a threat in combat and at initiative 2 theyre not exactly good at running either :lol:

the characters, while annoying cant kill enough on their own to save their squads :) they will die to combat res and get overrun ^_^

Archived