Deep strike & combat squads

TMK0377

It's a bit complicated, at least to me. But I could never wrap my head around this. Anyways, here goes. You can Combat Squad them, but only when they come in from reserve, so you have to declare the whole squad is deep striking, then combat squad them after you make the reserve roll to come in, at which point they can deep strike at separate locations.

The way I understand the rules is that unless a squad deep-strikes with a drop pod they can not break down into combat squads when they are held in reserves, now I know my take on it isn't the most accepted view so I never require it of my opponents I only do this to myself. The reason for my belief is the following FAQ entry. Here is the one from the BA FAQ

Q: Can you take a Drop Pod with a 10-man squad and

then put a combat squad in it, deploying the other

combat squad on the table, or leave it in reserve but

not in the Drop Pod? (p32)

A: No, because squads that are placed in reserve may

not break down into combat squads.

I can understand that, the reason I stopped using that tactic was because of that FAQ specifically how it says "because squads that are placed in reserve may not break down into combat squads.". As I said I wont require others to stop using a tactic that has been used for a long time, I myself just wont be using it anymore.

I can understand that, the reason I stopped using that tactic was because of that FAQ specifically how it says "because squads that are placed in reserve may not break down into combat squads.". As I said I wont require others to stop using a tactic that has been used for a long time, I myself just wont be using it anymore.

Saiisil, you're doing yourself a disservice.

The people are not simply using the tactic because it's old and they don't want to change, they're using it because the FAQ hasn't actually changed anything - except to clarify that if you cant CS units when they are in reserve.

This simply means that you cannot break a unit into 2 and then put into reserve.

There is nothing stopping you from putting into reserve and then breaking into 2 when they arrive.

The difference here is that you make one roll, not two reserve rolls.

This is also supported by the BA codex rule (and other codex rules) which says specifically that the decision to break into combat squads is made when the unit it deployed.

Neither of these issues conflict with the FAQ.

Archived