The Ruina Mors Crusades

Lupercalian

The Ruina Mors Crusades

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/aspect/wolves/ruina_mors_system.jpeg

Circa M40, the Ruina Mors system, inner edges of the Ultima Segmentum

M40 – the Ruina Mors system comes under attack during a Chaos incursion into the inner rings of the Ultima Segmentum. No less than three space hulks, accompanied by numerous attack craft and a battle-barge of the Word Bearers, translate from the warp into realspace, bringing with them surging hordes of cultists and renegade troopers that immediately make planetfall on six of the planets in the Ruina Mors system via rudimentary landing ships.

Distress signals from each of the planets’ astropaths reach the nearest Imperial fleet, under control of Admiral Sythomir Baradan. Baradan’s armada has only just finished prosecuting a retaliatory strike against Waagh! Godsmash, and is on route to the forge world Attica Primus for repairs when the distress call is interpreted.

Having not yet made the warp-jump to Attica Primus, Baradan orders an immediate change of fleet destination from the forge world to the Ruina Mors system. The armada arrives at the edge of the system a miraculous two weeks later and immediately begins the prosecution of the Chaos fleet with extreme prejudice.

However, it is already too late for two of the six planets, which have been completely sequestered by the Chaos hordes and their Traitor Astartes allies. Baradan’s cruisers identify the three space hulks as long-lost Imperial vessels – the Dominus Rex, Lex Talionis, and Contempt, destroyers from pre-heresy eras. Once lost to the tides of the warp, the antiquated relic-battleships are teeming with the clawing remnants of daemons which penetrated the ships’ defences during the intermittent malfunctions of their Geller fields.

Baradan’s astropaths request reinforcements from any Adeptus Astartes vessels in neighbouring systems – despite the presence of Tallarn regiments, strengthened by PDF troopers, Baradan’s depleted armies threaten to be overstretched.

His calls are answered within six months by an Astartes battle-barge – the Eiforr, a vessel holding the might of the entire Fifth Great Company of the Vlka Fenryka. Baradan requests an immediate war council, which the Wolf Lord Ingvar Haukal Haukalsson readily agrees to.

At the council, it is decided that Haukalsson’s Wolves will bring the murder-make to the four beleaguered planets of Ruina Mors. The agri-worlds of Ruina Mors are vital to the cantankerous march of the Imperial war-machine, and it is paramount that the Allfather’s executioners bring sanction to the traitors of the XVII Legion. With so much at stake, the system is plunged into the iron grip of total, savage war.

Hello guys! Lupercalian here (Aspect on Warseer), 16 years old and long-time lurker. I've finally made myself an account and started a project log. For quite some time (for the 3 years that I've been in the hobby, actually) I've been deliberating on which army I want to play, and I finally settled on the Vlka Fenryka this year. It was really Dan Abnett's Prospero Burns that did it for me - I know it's had its fair share of criticisms, but it's quite possibly my favourite out of the entire HH series, and it really brought the Wolves to life. That brought me to my decision, so I bought a couple of boxes, ordered some suits of Mk3 and Mk2 armor from Forge World (plus a Ven Dread to boot, heh), and I was on my way.

I've painted one of the Sky Warriors so far, and I intend to put a lot of effort and detail into each of my Astartes, both in terms of painting and fluff. I'm heavily inspired by the works of people such as lilloser and Apologist (both from Warseer), and their fantastic logs were a critical catalyst in setting me on this path.

I do need a bit of advice, though - the reason why the Wolf below is baseless is because I don't know what base to give him. He's in the middle of the Ruina Mors Crusades, and most of the worlds in that system are agri-worlds, meaning a lot of grass and sand and almost no snow. To top it off, if I ever get down to completing this army and play an actual game, I want a base that'll fit nicely with most standard gaming tables.

I don't know whether to base my Wolves on mud and grass, or on snow. I think snow would make a good contrast to the dark-gray armor, but then again, mud-and-grass is quicker to replicate, and blends in better with most gaming tables.

Also, what should I paint next? Should I continue on with the rest of the squad, build and paint a Rune Priest with his Skjald (counts-as Chooser of the Slain), finish Grimnar/Squad Leader (see below), or paint my Ven. Dread? Your opinions, constructive criticism and advice are as always much appreciated!

Sky Warriors of the Vlka Fenryka

"I name myself Olec Askold, Grey Hunter of Fyf, warrior of the Rout. I name myself also Olec Raveneye, for it is I who seek and mark new souls to send screaming into the Underverse..."

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/aspect/wolves/spacewolf1.jpg

Olec Askold is the newest addition to fyf-tra. Having served with the Blood Claws for two decades, Olec was sent to battle under the watchful gaze of Sleipnir Six-Claw with the third squad of Grey Hunters in fyf, replacing the Sky Warrior who fell before him. Despite his relative freshness, Askold displays a discipline and calmness of mind that is rare among those who have recently ascended from the raucous ranks of the Blood Claws. This unusual - and, some would say, even uncanny - self-control has led to Askold being one of the best marksmen in the squad. Though his low placing in the hierarchy of fyf-tra means that he has not yet earned the honour of wielding one of the squad's heavy weapons, none dispute Olec Askold's lethal accuracy.

Seen painted onto his right kneeguard is Hagarl, the Wurgen rune of Disruption. An alternative to the more common Eye of Aversion, the rune serves as a psychic ward against potent maleficarum. As its title suggests, Hagarl disrupts the foul magicks of enemy psykers at least momentarily - though a moment is all Olec Askold needs to put down a foe.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/aspect/wolves/wolf4.jpg

Painted on the right pauldron are the howling wolf and crescent moon of Wolf Lord Ingvar Haukal Haukalsson, known also as Ingvar the Far-Travelled.

Olec Askold, unlike his companions, does not carry a frost-blade or chainsword mag-locked to his thigh plating. He prefers to move unencumbered by the additional weight, and uses his ubiquitous boltgun as a club in close combat instead.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/aspect/wolves/spacewolf2.jpg

Although it is customary in other companies of the Rout to have the Wolf Lord's heraldry on the left pauldron, and squad designation on the other, Ingvar Haukalsson dictates the reverse. The freedom awarded to Jarls of the Vlka Fenryka means that the Great Wolf neither restricts nor forbids such deviation from tradition, despite the strong culture of the Wolves.

Jarl Haukalsson has decreed this unique heraldic arrangement out of respect for the previous Wolf Lord to have commanded Fyf, who now sleeps with red snow beneath him. The reversal, known as Aeskil, signifies the protean nature of the Underverse, Uppland, and the mortal world, and is a sign of mourning.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/aspect/wolves/wolf3.jpg

As is evident from the damaged and heavily-beaten state of Olec's armor, the Wolves tend to spend months - or even years - in the field before returning for repairs and resupply. Though each Wolf is expected to keep his armor in workable condition, wear-and-tear are inevitable. Given the incredibly protracted nature of the Ruina Mors Crusades, it is testament to the meticulous nature of Olec Askold and the rest of his squad that their armour, though weathered and dirty, are still functioning.

And that's all I have for today. Here's a WIP teaser of Sleipnir Six-Claw, squad leader of Olec's Grey Hunter pack, based on the Logan Grimnar mini.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/aspect/wolves/grimnar1.jpg

Finecast miniatures are exquisitely detailed, I have to say. The face in particular was a pleasure to paint!

Incredible work for a mere teen :) (Don't take that as insult, I'm only 17 myself :D)

Seriously, I'm amazed! Really cool character and great painting skills. You've got it all ;)

And I vote for Logan!

Ludovic

Edit: Purge the typos.

UPDATE: I've added the fluff for Olec Askold :)

@roninmodern: Thank you!

@daemonclaw: Yes, it does make sense ;) thank you!

@Dorns_fist: Thanks! Yes, I've always hated the baby-blue colour that was given to the wolves, I think it's quite a poor choice. It always reminds me of this:

http://media.onsugar.com/files/images/300.jpg

For my own wolves, I wanted to maintain a bluish shade of grey, so that I can always use these pups for pre-heresy campaigns if I so wish :( Grey also makes them look more like the hunter-ghosts of Fenris that they're supposed to be, anyway.

@Master of fact: Thank you! Not exactly, I used a Fenris Grey basecoat and washed it with Leviathan purple. Then I drybrushed and feathered Codex Grey and Dheneb Stone as highlights, before tying it all together with two glazes of leviathan purple, after which I applied the edge highlights.

@Battle-Brother Ludovic: Thank you! I've been thinking of finishing Logan too, mainly because I'm far too lazy to assemble and undercoat (by hand...ah, the perils of not having Chaos Black spray. Yet.) an entirely new mini.

Goddamn... if this is how you're painting at your age, I should've started years ago!

Your skills and techniques are nothing short of jaw-dropping, the battle damage, wear and tear on your models makes me obscenely jealous, and I am quite excited to see how this whole force turns out.

Keep pumping these wee beasties out, you'll have the whole site clamoring for more. :)

Thanks everyone! Regrettably, packing for my trip and going out means I haven't had much time to work on the wolves. Still, I've made a little more progress on Grimnar/Six-Claw, so I thought I'd post another teaser pic. Btw, from Tuesday onwards, I'll be on holiday, so I probably won't be able to get much work done on my minis. I am bringing a new Grey Hunter to work on, but how much progress I make depends on our schedule.

+++INCOMING DATA TRANSMISSION+++

SECURITY LEVEL BETA-KAPPA; PASSWORD ENTERED CORRECTLY. DOWNLOADING INFOLOGS.

>

>

>

>

DOWNLOAD COMPLETE. DISPLAY ATTACHED PICT-STEAL?

>

>

>

DISPLAYING ATTACHED PICT-STEAL WITH INFOLOGS

>

>

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/aspect/wolves/six-claw_wip.jpg

>E: So this is a goddamn Wolf, huh?

>B: Yeah, it's one of them, no doubt. You can see it in his eyes. Only the Sixth have that kill-urge burning inside.

>E: Blood of the Emperor, he's huge.

>B: Small for a Wolf, though.

>E: You sh*tting me?

>B: No, I'm not. This one in particular; he's small. At least, smaller than he should be. You can tell that the Tactical Dreadnought armour is custom-made to fit his frame. Compare it to other picts of Terminators and you'll see.

>E: Well fug me upside down, he still looks like a god in that plate.

>B: That, he does. Anyway, you'd better thank me for this, I risked my fugging life to get you this pict-steal. No one - at my station, at least - is allowed to access picts of the Wolves. It's forbidden. Security level Beta-Kappa if I remember right.

>E: Yeah, yeah, don't forget I'm paying you for this. You agreed to it nonetheless so stop whining like a little b****. I don't understand how you can fugging download this ***** and complain about your sad life instead of admiring the pict. Look at that; I know the Astartes are built for killing, but just look at that. These weren't just built for killing, they were built for goddamn murder.

>B: No *****. The pict lists him as Sleipnir Six-Claw. Squad leader of fyf-tra or something.

>E: Fyf-tra? The fug is that?

>B: I'm guessing squad designation, but their battle-cant isn't known to me. I don't think it's known to anyone outside of the Sixth. But Six-Claw; everyone knows Six-Claw. Rumour has it he took out four Traitor Astartes in close-combat in the first hour of planetfall.

>E: Emperor's holy balls.

>B: Wait wait cut off now. I think they're on to us.

>E: What?

>B: Scanner's picking up traces of Administratum signature. Cut, cut, cut connection now!

>E: The fug is going on?

>B: If they know I've been snooping around their pict-files, we're both dead men you fugging idiot! CUT OFF N

>

>

DATALOG ENDED. ADMINISTRATUM CODE 011014. PURGE ENABLED ACCORDING TO PROTOCOL VI.

I'm sorry for the poor quality of the pictures, but lighting was absolutely abysmal today. Been raining for the last couple of hours, and the photo is far from faithful to the original contrasts and shades. Still, I'll upload better ones when Six-Claw is finished and I get back from my holiday. Until then!

-Lupercalian

Hey man, first off, really cool miniatures. For the basing, if you're looking for an agri-world kinda thing, I think it'd be awesome to see these guys wading through wheat fields or something, like this:

http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/6/6e/Aewdvwavr.jpg

Archived