Attempted Stencil on Rhino

Ghent

I got the idea to just stencil a wolf for my Space Wolves, because my armor is painted gray. I didn't want to just have massive gray vehicles rolling around, so I cut out a stencil in some poster board and tried to spray paint (krylon plastic, $3 at Lowes) it on. The first coat didn't go so hot, so I just outlined the second layer with chaos black and touched it up with a brush.

Here's my first attempt:

http://40kdeathorglory.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/photo.jpeg

I'll have to pick some up for my Speeder/Land Raider idea where I don't want to over spray. That would be nice too for the runes I want to paint on the Land Raider sponsons.

I don't mind the slight red overspray on the Rhino, as I wanted it to be a bit bigger than the hatch and to "look" spray painted on, like my Space Wolves sprayed it on there.

It would look good if you went and spent the half an hour it would require to clean it up. Make sure to go and put black in the area's the black spray missed.

I love doing stencil art, but I never tried it on my All Hallows Guard...

It would look good if you went and spent the half an hour it would require to clean it up. Make sure to go and put black in the area's the black spray missed.

I love doing stencil art, but I never tried it on my All Hallows Guard...

Oh, I will. That was right after the spray. I'll be touching it up when I paint the rest of the Rhino. I'll throw up another picture when I'm done.

So, I picked up some frisket paper as suggested and it worked significantly better than my previous try. It is a bitch to cut out, because of the size. Though, my exacto tip is busted off so that could be it. I also had a hard to getting it to stick down, but I'm sure that's because of the different surface levels. Here's the first try on a Razorback side:

http://40kdeathorglory.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/photo-1-e1322071632385.jpeg

I can clean up the overspray since I'm going back over around it with the grey on the left side will have red filled to the bottom and touch up some of the lighter spots. I had to leave a piece to hold the wolf outline in place. I'm just going to hand paint filling in the wolf Chaos Black.

The art store I went to just had one kind of frisket paper, so I'm not sure if there are different kinds with strong adhesives.

There are varying strengths of frisket paper, and you want the kind commonly marked for airbrushing.

You need a sharp knife to cut the film properly. Run back to the store and get a fresh pack of blades!

The thing that's really killing your work is the spray paint. A spraycan has no control at all, and the thick/thin areas you're getting are what you end up with when using it. If you're set on using a spraypaint, spray small bursts from about 1-2' away. Let the paint settle and dry, then hit it again with another dusting, slowly building the color onto dried layers. you MUST let the prior layer dry before applying a second, or you'll get runny, blotchy paint.

Archived