Finished my beloved Predator

Enzephalon

Hi guys,

FINALLY I got around painting my first vehicle ever (first tank to be true... not counting the attack bike).

It was a pain to even find out how to do it.

The thing is that I'm painting my infantry using washes quite a bit, which is not possible on a tank (at least I'm not able to do it properly ^^)

So I had to find a solution painting my vehicles without using GW washes, but somehow matching the tone of the infantry.

It literally took me months to finally sit down for two hours and try it out on several plastic parts.

In the end I achieved something which I would call a matching tone. ^^

To make a long story short. I hate painting vehicles and I'm no good at it.

Annoying thing is that I have five more to go. ^^

Have fun though.

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2011/11/22/297785_md-.JPG

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2011/11/22/297786_md-.JPG

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2011/11/22/297787_md-.JPG

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2011/11/22/297788_md-.JPG

Ps.: Did some minor conversion work on this model to properly represent the Lucifer pattern engines which make it a fast vehicle as you might know.

Of course I can, but I'm not so sure If I would recommend it. I only did it the way I did to match the rest of my force.

There are for sure better possibilities to paint a tank red.

Anyway:

-Primed it black with Army Painters black primer

-Thin coat of Army Painters dragon red spray

-Glaze of Blood Red/Red Gore/Water (1:1:1)

-Glaze of Scorched Brown/Water (1:4)

Missed some drops of the last glaze while painting. That's where the stains come from.

I will add some battle damage and weathering with Vallejo pigments I bought.

Have to look into some tutorials before I try it though. ^^

My, my, what a big exhaust you have! Twin DTM! Looks good for a first attempt, maybe add some text to the scroll up front?

"Da red wunz go fasta!"

Especially with big exhausts. Ya know? ^^

Yeah... Text will definetly be added, but I will save that for the day when I gathered some practice on freehanding.

; )

Looks very good!

I kinda have a similar problem. I hate painting tanks. I'm always scared I screw up at some point...

I find painting tanks quite relaxing, they're fairly simple to do. The method on GW's website is what i use for a good 'base' :-

Prime with white or black spray

Base coat with Mechrite red

Multiple layers of watered down Blood Red (I think i did 5-6 on the Pred I'm working on at the moment)

Devlan Mud into recesses only

Drybrush Blazing Orange - hardly any paint on the brush at all, will take multipe passes.

Use large brushes for both painting and drybrushing.

Looks very good!

I kinda have a similar problem. I hate painting tanks. I'm always scared I screw up at some point...

I find painting tanks quite relaxing, they're fairly simple to do. The method on GW's website is what i use for a good 'base' :-

Prime with white or black spray

Base coat with Mechrite red

Multiple layers of watered down Blood Red (I think i did 5-6 on the Pred I'm working on at the moment)

Devlan Mud into recesses only

Drybrush Blazing Orange - hardly any paint on the brush at all, will take multipe passes.

Use large brushes for both painting and drybrushing.

I consider this as a good way to go. But it was not giving me the result I needed.

you should get some weathering powder on that beauty I love how dirtied up it looks.

Thank you for your comment.

I already mentioned in a post somewhere that I have Vallejo pigments for weathering. But since I have no experience at all I try it out on a test model first. I don't want to screw it up. ^^

I will update this thread once I have the balls to do it.

Greetings

Archived