Dreadnought Transports

Unforgiven2544

Good Evening Fellow Gamers,

I want to preface this with the following disclaimer: I know it is ridiculous.

But, What if we had a Land Raider variant that coud carry a dreadnought. I would look at the crusader as a potential example of carrying capacity. And since the Blood Raven already broke the rules of 1 unit per transport, it might not be too hard to imagine a deathwing squad charging out of the Land Raider, followed by the hulking form of a Revered Battle Brother encased in dreadnought armor.

If we were to pursue this silliness; what would you give it as far as armament? Would you allow a terminator squad to accompany the dreadnought? Would you make it open-topped to allow the dreadnought to contribute firepower, or would that make the vehicle too vulnerable?

On a note of non-silliness, I would like to see a DA specific Land Raider variant.

Respectfully,

--Unforgiven

First there is the land raider Ares. This is the Da specific land raider

The Ares you say? Is this in one of the Imperial Armor books? Where may I find reference to such a vehicle. What does it do?

Is the Ares the one with the Demolisher Cannon?

Dreadnought jet pack would be fun for moving around in-game .... and/or deep striking special rule for initial deployment. I can't see a dready inside anything I'm afraid unless it's really big - and nor could GW that's why the Stormraven has grappling hooks.

One each inside a Titans legs might be another option :P

There is the Lucius drop pod for deep-striking-&-assaulting fun, you can always use its rules to simulate another type of entry for your dreadnought.

Aye, I'd forgotten about the Lucius + drop pods in general :).

But in fairness to my failing brain cells I think the OP was referring to a table-top transport to move the dread around in I think

In Rogue Trader, and possibly second edition too, the transport capacity of a rhino was ten power armoured marines or five terminators or one dreadnought. Of course the models were smaller then but there is precedent.

I can imagine a land raider variant with a larger assault ramp (and therefore no heavy bolters/assault cannon) being capable of carrying a dreadnought. Terminators as well is a bit of a stretch.

Why does the land raider need to carry the dread inside of it? The dread could be grapple hooked to the back of the land raider just like the storm raven. So we have a land raider that carries whatever it does on the inside, and then a grapple hooked dreadnaught on the outside.

For some reason when I read the OP, I immediately thought of the Terminator Salvation film, specifically the scene where a Harvester is integrated in to the top half of a Hunter-Killer Transport. The upper half of the Dread could sit on top of a modified LR in a similar fashion, acting as a turret until it disembarks.

Why does the land raider need to carry the dread inside of it? The dread could be grapple hooked to the back of the land raider just like the storm raven. So we have a land raider that carries whatever it does on the inside, and then a grapple hooked dreadnaught on the outside.

One dose not "piggy back" a honoured member of the chapter around on the back of anything never mind a land raider.

As far as transport why not just add a track unit for the dreads.

Yes you can! the land raider could have a platform on the back of it for the dreadnaught to stand on, and strap to the back of the raider with hooks or harness or whatever. Heck, you could have a land raider that gives up all its guns completely, have one platform on each side, one on the back, and then carry a squad inside of it. Land raider 'party wagon' varriant, carries 3 dreadnaughts and 1 squad.

As far as transport why not just add a track unit for the dreads.

Funnily enough, today, I was thinking about a Dark Angel army that had been done entirely in the old metal scouts bar the Commander and a squad of power armoured Marines, and what was the dreadnought given to keep up with the faster moving scouts? Track unit.

In Rogue Trader, and possibly second edition too, the transport capacity of a rhino was ten power armoured marines or five terminators or one dreadnought. Of course the models were smaller then but there is precedent.

Yes, it was around in second edition too. Land Raiders could transport a dreadnought too. I think the idea wasn't that they were inside but that either the vehicle was modified or that it towed them in some way.

I don't think many people did it though, which is probably why the idea was dropped.

Now a Dreadnaught Land Raider might be a nice idea - power flails or lance , automated control centre for the sponson weapons and some limited carrying capacity is what I'd like to see. Think Thundertank +!!

• 3 weeks later...
I've always liked to imagine an open-topped pick-up truck variant of the Rhino for transporting a Dreadnought. If it has a nice handhold for the CCW to grab hold of he can steady himself to fire his main gun while driving. ;)

Somewhat akin to Jorge in Halo:Reach? That would be amazing.

Archived