After Black Reach...

tmats

Greetings. Longtime lurker, first time poster :)

I'm sure this has been posted before, but what's a good purhcasing plan for a Space Marine army after Black Reach? I'm just about done painting those models and Santa will be here soon to restock my hobby!

Disclaimer: I've not even played one game of 40k, although I've read the rules and codex. I'm not new to Warhammer though, I've been playing Fantasy for many years and know those rules very well. I'm coming at this as a hobby/collector project, but I do plan to play eventually and I would like to minimize the amount of models that will only collect dust on the shelf.

At first I thought the Battleforce was the smartest option since it's the best deal, but I'm not sure everything in the box is useful.

What about adding 1 tac squad, rhino, razorback , and a drop pod for the dreadnaught? That's about the same cost as the battle force, and I think it gets me pretty close to 1000 points with the black reach contents.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Depending on what you want for your army, and how often you plan to play it, you might want to take a look at the new megaforce box that's out for the holiday. If you want the units that are in it, even at a later date, I'd go for it now and pick up some transports as you can down the road. Everything in it is useful eithr as a unit or as bits you'll need to bling out veterans and sergeants(looking at the captain and command squad kits with that comment). It's priced at roughly 60% of what it cost regular retail for the models that are in it.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/...Id=prod1410003a

Yeah, the Megaforce Special looks really good for a beginner, and as someone not new to the hobby you'll be able to appreciate the value gained by the box set compared to individually a bit better than someone completely new.

Have you decided what kind of force you'd really like yet? I mean, the basics are still the same. To cut with a wide knife, you're either Deep Striking/Fast Attack type SM, Artillery style SM, or something in between which is usually more popular. The Megaforce, IMO, benefits all but satisfies none; arguably the type it benefits the most is the Fast army because even with the Land Raider there that's still a Transport option as well as a Heavy Tank.

To be Mechanized you're probably better off starting with a Predator, getting a Vindicator, and working from there.

To be in the middle, the basic battleforce will add enough to save some pocket and get some more troops on the table. Gives you the fundamental Rhino, some differing troop choices, and the Assault Squad to counter anything particularly scary at CQC (although dont expect to win, by any means).

That's my 2, anyway.

If you're planning on getting the battleforce, don't get it straight from GW, get it from, say, Maelstrom Games (it's cheaper). I think you can knock yet more off the price if you can get a hold of the Xmas offer code, although you may need to register on Maelstrom's site for that. :rolleyes:

Archived