Units that work well together

maturin

Name: Big Brother

Units: Dreadnought & 10x Marine Tac. squad

Min Cost: 285

Benefits: same Speed, access to double heavy weapons(dirt cheap on tacs), possible double power fist (one hidden/one at I:4), possible triple flamers (flamer/combi-f/heavy flamer), possible 2xPC+PG+Combi-plasma, counts as half of troop selection, objective taker/holder, Dread needs more wounds(tacs) and Tacs need extra mobile firepower & something immune to power weapons. AV12/3+ armor save.

Drawbacks: Not very mobile. Tacs are exposed to small arms fire. Though AV12 is relatively tough compared to infantry, still pales in comparison of older and recently added survivalbility boosters holo fields, necron shields, blessed/scared hull, demonic possession, invuln save, etc.

Plus, for what ever reason it may be beneficial, the tac squad can bubble wrap the dread to prevent basing.

This one, in addition to the Typhoons and Predator, have been a solid combo for me. Of course I use C:BT instead, but much the same.

The Rhino rushes fowards and pops smoke. The Dread runs after it, getting cover. The Dread can leap frog the Rhino with a run, and pop smoke on T2.

Generally this combo stops the more important Marines from suffering from small arms fire, which is what kills them, generally. The Rhino is what you want to get shot, thereby allowing the generally killier Dread to go about dealing with AV and Infantry in a superior manner.

The Dread needs a Heavy flamer, and I give mine an Assault cannon, although one tl Auto cannon could work too.

If you give the Marines a Multi melta, this will mean the Rhino gets shot to suppress it. This is good.

Think of this:

Rhino gets immobilised. Squad can remain in Rhino, or go on foot. No biggy.

Dread gets immobilised. D'oh!

Rhino gets destroyed. A few Marines die. Hmmm.

Dread gets destroyed. D'oh!

Rhino gets its Storm bolter shot off. No biggy.

Dread gets its DCCW or Assault cannon shot off. D'oh!

Rhino gets shaken. Cannot fire Heavy weapon. Hmmm.

Dread gets shaken. Cannot fire Heavy weapon AND Heavy flamer. D'oh!

Use the Rhino to keep the Dread safe, which will do enough killing to stop the Marines from having to disembark, and so keeping them safe.

In mêlée, Dreads actually have a low kill quantity, but a high kill quality. ie, they will kill 2 MegaNobz a turn, as likely as two Grotz a turn, or near enough.

Marines more have a low kill quality, due to a lack of power weapons, etc. but a reasonable kill quantity.

By using them in concert, and giving the baddies a dose of Heavy flamer and bolt pistol shots, the two units can do some reasonable damage to many units.

The Dread can sport a few ap4 weapons in the Heavy flamer and Assault cannon, and so things with that annoying mid range save melt away, who would otherwise resist half of what the Marines throw at them.

Archived