Sanguinor conversion

KaiserTJ1860

So I'm daydreaming and procrastinating and I began to think about what the coolest conversions you could do for the awesome Heroes we have.

My fav to think about is the Sanguinor. Regardless of whether he is useful ingame, I just love the fluff and the presence he can appear to have in an army. Anyway here are a few versions of him ive seen around, and no doubt you have too:

hightech minis Gabriel

Scibor version - image wouldnt work

And this one... this one I think is my favourite so far

heresy minis angel pillar

Its a mammouth thing. If I had the skill, I would lightly GS the body, giving it an snug but obvious Artificer armour, maybe rest the challice on top of the plinth, but its just so dynamic. You really get the feeling that if you put him up against a greater demon that there would only be one winner...

So anyway what would you do for the sanguinor, or mephi, or any of the others to make him just that lil bit different from the norm?, have you seen any bitz that you reckon would fit perfectly with one or the other characters? Im keen to see where you all seek you're inspiration from. Perhaps we can use this thread as a resource for future projects. Or just marvel at the beauty of some completed ones

So, brothers, fire away!

TJ

How would you go about Blood Angels-ing him up. At present he's a bit nude, and whilst the sanguinor isnt a typical astartes, i doubt he fights in just a cloth and his birthday suit...

TJ

Mh, painting his skin in NMM would certainly help, but after a second view it seems that GS is unevitable to achieve the look of armour on this guy. You could try to make some soft armour and create armour joints at the end of each limb. For example, if you look at powerarmour, you see the soft armour that seperates each armour plate from another.

Fill his armpits with GS, curve some lines in it to get that soft armour looks. After it has cured, you can try to imitate the armour plates which are seperated by the soft armour. This means that you have to put some GS only at the joints of each limb(probably only the armpits and his rear armour) to get a proper armour, Sanguinary Guard style.

I hope this was quite understandable...if not, tell me and I'll try again! :fakenopic:

Slapping some BA bits on this bad boy is also quite mandatory. Some blood drops here and there and you're ready to roll. I'm even considering to buy that miniature. :D

Snorri

@Marshall Sampson - I love the scibor model except for perhaps the ork(?) head that he's holding. the heresy one just seems a bit more of a dynamic pose, kinda captures the red thirst/black rage of the BA's just as much as it does their angelic, noble side, but like you said, each to their own.

I was just interested to see what people would do to create their own sanguinor, including borrowing bits from other GW models as well as non GW such as the ones i posted as an example. In essence i hoped it could be a kind of handy guide for people to trawl through for ideas on how to customise the BA HQ's with sanguinor just being the starting point cos i think he's BA (and here i dont mean blood angels :) )

@Snorri - I understand what you mean perfectly, I just dont know if i trust my GS skills enough to attempt it. On the surface it looks as if it could be reasonably straight forward, but if you cock it up if could ruin it. I spose you do have a fair bit of time to remove the GS if you cant seem to get it to fit.

As an aside, but kind of related; how well does GS hold on metal. If i GS'd a part of him, lets say i made a shinguard, and let it dry, then decided i didnt like it. could i prise it off the metal or would i have to try and chip away at it in small pieces?

TJ

@Snorri - I understand what you mean perfectly, I just dont know if i trust my GS skills enough to attempt it. On the surface it looks as if it could be reasonably straight forward, but if you cock it up if could ruin it. I spose you do have a fair bit of time to remove the GS if you cant seem to get it to fit.

As an aside, but kind of related; how well does GS hold on metal. If i GS'd a part of him, lets say i made a shinguard, and let it dry, then decided i didnt like it. could i prise it off the metal or would i have to try and chip away at it in small pieces?

TJ

That's good to hear. The good thing is that GS doesn't stick to metal as it does to plastic - it sticks a bit less and should be easier to remove. If everything's messed up, you could use acetone which melts greenstuff to a grey blob similar to chewing gum and is easily removed.

If you had one shinguard to use your example, and let it fully dry, it could be removed by an x-acto blade, or your sculpting tool, used as a lever. Done that, works pretty well.

I've just noticed that this kit comes in several parts:

Kit contains two x wings, torso, head, 2x arms, sword, flaming version of same sword, legs

Perfect. Now you have the ability to replace things you don't like, and have a good excuse to use GS for softarmour between the gaps as you probably will end up GSing the joints anyway due to pinning.

If I were to make a suggestion, that's how I'd do it:

- Replace the head by something more 'Blood-Angely', or a helmet even, but that's only a minor thing.

- Use Space Marine arms to replace his, pretty easy. Might require some re-positioning to hold the sword the way he does. By doing that, you have a good chance of

already getting the softarmour in his armpits done as well.

- saw up the legs, create shinguards, put them back together.

- GS the armour joints where needed(probably on the knees and on the upper legs/hip)

- Add some blood drops from the plastic kits.

- Paint. Have fun. Destroy the enemies of our glorious legion!

Snorri

@brother jazzman. That's a pretty interesting notion. I spose fluffwise it might be a stretch given the accounts in th codex and those stored in that one fabled tome on Baal.

I wonder if using one of the faces or even bodies of one of the eleven heroes of warhammer fantasy would work in some small measure, they certainly do fit with the beauty element he supposedly exudes.

@snorri - knowing that I can remove failed attempts is a huge relief, I can see my Xmas gift to me already...

@steel angel - that's a great spot! I spose you could even keep the wings, paint them as some sort of glowing red aura and explain them away as his psychic wings ...

@brother kovash - ur right, him and the scibor are pretty much ready to go, not sure about the kitschy "s" on the chalice but that can be covere up with GS and a blood drop...

Anyone entertained the notion of attaching some form o exsanguinator to one hand and using one of em as corbulo? Hairs a bit too long I know but with such an intricately detailed model I'm sure some concessions can be made/ heads replaced...

TJ

• 6 months later...

I actually used the same Scibor mini for a sanguinor conversion a little while back. Turned out really well. I thought the scale of the wings matched his almost mythic nature more than the GW one. I did think the decapitated head was a bit goofy, so replaced it with a chalice. He's of a slightly differnt scale though, so consider that.

http://i610.photobucket.com/albums/tt188/atomic_potatoe/Blood%20angels/IMG_6624-1.jpg

More pics here...

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...p;#entry3102167

Archived