Land Raider Achilles?

hobointherain

I've been itching for a land raider for a while now but my army just hasnt been big enough to justify one. But after seeing the achilles I thought to hell with it I want one of those! I know its a bit souped up for regular games but what do ya'll think of it? Should I shoot for the achilles or lump myself with a reg LR???

If you want something you'll use relatively often, stick with a regular LR. If you want a model you use more rarely but keep for eye-candy, then the Achilles is a good choice. :)

Unless you can use it as a counts as Land Raider Phobos or some other variant.

The problem with the Achilles is that it makes some armies simply die. Which is good in the world of 40K but can make for a boring game for the players. Orks, Eldar, Deldar or anyone who is GEQ and who doesn't have lots of melta probably won't be laughing and possibly refuse to play against that thing again.

Alex

1. Take an Achilles.

2. Take the Master of the Forge with max arm servitors.

3. Stick MotF inside the Achilles.

4. Watch as your opponent shoots everything at it and does nothing.

5. Win.

If you have the money and a group that'll let you play it, I'd definitely go for it. It's almost unkillable with the above combo.

1. Take an Achilles.

2. Take the Master of the Forge with max arm servitors.

3. Stick MotF inside the Achilles.

4. Watch as your opponent shoots everything at it and does nothing.

5. Win.

2.5- Add Chronous the tank commander then it becomes IMO the hardest tank SM players can feild.

3.5- Drop a servitor for a basic techmarine with Servo Harness so with MotF fix 2 damaged results a turn on a 2+.

I have thought of it but cant justify the price tag for a unit after one game most players dont want to face again.

Hardest tank possible :angry: I want one now.

Unless you can use it as a counts as Land Raider Phobos or some other variant.

The problem with the Achilles is that it makes some armies simply die. Which is good in the world of 40K but can make for a boring game for the players. Orks, Eldar, Deldar or anyone who is GEQ and who doesn't have lots of melta probably won't be laughing and possibly refuse to play against that thing again.

Alex

Seriously? Eldar have a problem defeating a LR Achilles because they don't have lots of Melta? Did you miss the rule where the Achilles (and now Proteus...) ignore melta weapons?

I faced a CSM Proteus with Ceramite armor and took it out in the 2nd turn with my Eldar. Admittedly the force contained a few of my own FW units (Warp hunter, Shadow Spectres and Wraithseer) all of which could care less about lack of melta rules.

I've also used my Achilles and had it damaged due to chainfists, monstrous creatures, lascannons, etc.

Yes it's tough to face a melta immune, AV14 all round, block. But it helped me learn not to rely on melta to win. Even the threat of my friend taking a Proteus, means I approach my list building differently when it comes to anti tank.

As for the Achilles in game. I found it useful to have a thunderfire cannon that didn't break as soon as somebody looked at it. The ability to move it 12 and fire, allows much more use out of an already useful gun. However it's very expensive in terms of points and so isn't something that gets used that often in normal (1750pt here) games.

Yeah that was a lapse of concentration but you're distracting from my point: it's not much fun to play against the vehicle for many armies because it can hurt them in a major way and they have few ways to handle it.

Alex

Archived