Back after 15 years, which Colour Scheme for my Wolves?

UTTER_FILTH

Hey Everyone,

After a 15 year absence I've decided to get back into painting miniatures again and may even dabble in the gaming side of things as well..

I've always loved the Space Wolves but can stomach the baby blue colour scheme. I've quickly painted up 2 marines in 2 different colour schemes which I quite like, but cant decide on which I prefer, so all and any opinions are welcome.

Also welcome are any hints and tips you might have to help me improve my painting as its been quite a while since I tried anything like this..

Marine 1

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y151/UTTER_FILTH/5d61e33b.jpg

Marine 2

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y151/UTTER_FILTH/4f279505.jpg

Like a said, these arent finished models, I just quickly threw them together to try and decide a colour scheme before I start churning out a whole army. I'm even thinking about doing a Bran Redmaw company, so the the shoulders could possibly be painted Dheneb Stone, instead of the current colours or just plain white which is redmaws usual shoulder colour.

The painting looks good (especially the grey!)

I personnaly liked both, but the "dark and red" is traditionnally used for the 13th company. I would use the 1st one if your planning to do an "Astartes like" army and the second if your planning a "feral like" army

Good job and welcome back!

They are both good. You may want to go with your own personal preference.

I, myself love both colors for SW's and envision different Great Companies having one or the other.

If you want to stay true to an already established Great Company keep those shoulder pad colors in mind. You may also want to adhere to the color scheme of the different SW packs.

Traditionally red/black for Grey Hunters

Red/Yellow for Blood Claws

Yellow/Black for Wolf Guard

black/white for long fangs

Thanks for all the comments guys.

I've just finished reading Battle of the Fang, which I managed to read in 2 days, I just couldnt put it down. Some fantastic wolf-ass-kickery in there!! Throughout the book it mentions the space wolf armour being gun metal grey, so I'm thinking of doing a Battle of the Fang inspired army.

The only thing thats putting my off of the dark grey, is that on that model it looks a bit dull/boring and lifeless if you get what I mean?? I think I need to work on the shading/highlights a bit to give it some more depth.. Will definitely try some battle damage as well, to see if that improves things.

Imho, I prefer the first one :)

And can you post the recipe you used for that colour please?

1. Prime Black

2. Adeptuse Battle Grey base coat

3. Then painted codex grey over that, being careful to leave the recesses and anywhere you would want to black line, so the battle grey showed through..

4. At this point I had been looking at DV8's tutorial and thought I would try some Asurmen blue wash in the shadowed areas and creases, but I hated the result because I just cant seem to get the washed to apply evenly.

5. I then went over the model in codex grey again to cover as much of the blue as I could. You can still see some of it showing though and I think it added a very slight blue tint to the grey.

6. I then gave the whole model a light and watered down wash of badab black

7. Shoulders were painted with Iyandedn Dark Sun.

I'd vote for two as well. I think once you get all the highlights and a bit of battle damage on them, you'll like what you see.

More importantly, welcome back!

Cheers,

Both of them look great and the only reason I prefer the first one is because of old school bias.

When it comes to red there are two wolf lords who use it as their company colour; Sven Bloodhowl and Harald Deathwolf.

The only wolf lord who uses yellow as his company colour is Ragnar Blackmane.

You could always make up your own great company though.

Imho, I prefer the first one :)

And can you post the recipe you used for that colour please?

4. At this point I had been looking at DV8's tutorial and thought I would try some Asurmen blue wash in the shadowed areas and creases, but I hated the result because I just cant seem to get the washed to apply evenly.

Add a tiny bit of PVA glue to the wash and you'll get an even application. Worked a treat on a Grey Knight I did a while ago, added it ever since.

• 1 month later...

Just a little bit of an update..

Been really busy since my last post, so havent had much of a chance to paint anything..

I decided to go for the dark grey in the end taking my inspiration from the Battle of the Fang artwork.

Still a WIP, but so far I'm quite pleased considering i havent really painted anything in 15 years.. LOL

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y151/UTTER_FILTH/4f4cc448.jpg

Please feel free to leave comments or tips on anything I can improve.

Thanks

Looks like you've chosen, so my vote is a bit late -- but I vote for using red somewhere, and not using yellow. I have always thought Ragmar's Company yellow was a bit too bright and cheery for 40K.

The red wolf on the Ragnar's Co. shoulder pad is good, too. Your painting is pretty neat and has good highlighting and blacklining. Let's see some more!

Wendigo

Archived