Gate of Infinity with artillery

ShinyRhino

In reading the wording of Gate of Infinity, I have to make 100% sure there's no restriction on what type of unit can be teleported.

Gate states that the Librarian and the unit he is with are removed from play and placed back onto the table within 24" of their prior location. Simple enough.

You can legally attach Independent Characters to Artillery units, but they cannot fire the gun(s).

So, if I attach a Librarian with Gate to a Thunderfire Cannon (our only Artillery unit), it should follow that I can use Gate to move the TFC around, alongside the Techmarine gunner, correct? When placing models for the move, you can start with the gun, and then place the Librarian and Techmarine in whatever order you like? Should the Gate scatter roll come up doubles, is the gun itself a valid target for the "one model dies" stipulation in the Gate of Infinity rules?

You're probably wondering why you'd ever do that. I've found the major vulnerability of the TFC is that it's slow and/or static. Park it in terrain and you get a nice cover save, but if you have to move in that situation, you risk losing the gun to a terrain test. If a choppy unit gets too close, you might as well write off the TFC as dead, because the Techmarine gunner can't do much in retaliation.

However, if I can Gate the gun around, it makes for a nice last-ditch escape plan in the face of impending doom.

The only reason I would question this tactic and I am not even sure if I should question it because this may or may not be right (I would allow in friendly games might question the TO at the beginning of a tournament). Page 48 BBB states that ICs may not join vehicles, Page 55 BBB states that Artillery units consist of 1 or more guns that are treated as vehicles with infantry crew members.

The only reason I would question this tactic and I am not even sure if I should question it because this may or may not be right (I would allow in friendly games might question the TO at the beginning of a tournament). Page 48 BBB states that ICs may not join vehicles, Page 55 BBB states that Artillery units consist of 1 or more guns that are treated as vehicles with infantry crew members.

And those very same rules go on to tell you how to handle ICs attaching to the combined Artillery unit of gun and crew...

Archived