Ravenwing DW campaign interest check

WatchCaptainAzrael

I've been thinking about posting this for a while, and every time I redact something I end up thinking to myself "nah, they'd laugh at me" and not posting. And I also end up finding myself typing this again, so... Let's keep it short before I give up again.

New Deathwatch source book has rules for creating Ravenwing characters. I'm wondering if anyone with an interest in 40K RP in this forum would be interested in playing a campaign over IRC. If we can form at least a combat squad here, I'll begin writing the campaign/introductory mission/epic saga. Grizzled Deathwatch veterans and neophytes alike are welcome to pop in, though I'd ask the former to not behead me if I commit a rulings error. :tu:

Almost forgot... I'm on a GMT timezone, and would rather not stay up until 4AM to run sessions. I've been through that system before, and my life suffered acutely.

Haha, wanna be the GM then? xD

Since you didn't specify which part you're curious about, I'll give you the long version. :(

My original plan was to create a series of interconnected assignments regarding typical Ravenwing operations: dropping teleport beacons for Deathwing on critical spots, assaulting the unprotected rear of an enemy position, drawing the attention of a waaagh towards an Imperial Guard battalion coming too close to a Fallen, running off with a Space Wolf's flagon of mead, that sort of thing. Obviously, making a campaign that's not a piece of grox fertilizer isn't something that can be done without a minimum of effort, so I was checking for interested players first before committing effort into it.

As for character creation, I was thinking that, regardless of specialization (tactical, devastator, assault, whathaveyou) everyone starts with Ravenwing Veteran subspec as written in First Founding, with all characteristics requirements equal or above the values indicated in the book, depending on how lucky your rolls were (I'm counting on your collective honor for this :D ). Also, everyone will have Distinguished renown and cannot access Deathwatch-relevant upgrades, as they're famous inside their chapter, and haven't operated in the Deathwatch. The finer details of team composition are left to the players.

As for times... That'll be very dependent on who we can find, and what their times are. If WGXH could give us his timezone, I have a friend I play with that could join us and then we'd have at least a combat squad... But it'd be better if we could find more people.

Haha, wanna be the GM then? xD

Since you didn't specify which part you're curious about, I'll give you the long version. ;)

My original plan was to create a series of interconnected assignments regarding typical Ravenwing operations: dropping teleport beacons for Deathwing on critical spots, assaulting the unprotected rear of an enemy position, drawing the attention of a waaagh towards an Imperial Guard battalion coming too close to a Fallen, running off with a Space Wolf's flagon of mead, that sort of thing. Obviously, making a campaign that's not a piece of grox fertilizer isn't something that can be done without a minimum of effort, so I was checking for interested players first before committing effort into it.

As for character creation, I was thinking that, regardless of specialization (tactical, devastator, assault, whathaveyou) everyone starts with Ravenwing Veteran subspec as written in First Founding, with all characteristics requirements equal or above the values indicated in the book, depending on how lucky your rolls were (I'm counting on your collective honor for this ;) ). Also, everyone will have Distinguished renown and cannot access Deathwatch-relevant upgrades, as they're famous inside their chapter, and haven't operated in the Deathwatch. The finer details of team composition are left to the players.

As for times... That'll be very dependent on who we can find, and what their times are. If WGXH could give us his timezone, I have a friend I play with that could join us and then we'd have at least a combat squad... But it'd be better if we could find more people.

i am in GMT. Looking forward to it!

Ok, with my friend (whose previous DA char was called Grant Carbine, cut him some slack if he behaves oddly for an Astartes at times :)) we have 4 people, a bit above the minimum required for a combat squad. I say it's a go. xD

Tentative starting time, next week Friday at 9PM GMT. I believe this is a good time for the most of us, but if I'm wrong, please let me know in advance. It will also give me time to come up with a starting mission and finish my University assignments. It may also come to pass that other vehicular enthusiasts come to us to pledge their allegiance in the meantime. :P

If you haven't already, get an IRC client. There are several freeware clients out there, and if I'm not mistaken mIRC can be used on trial mode indefinitely. If anyone has issues with using IRC, we can always subvert the working of Vassal 40K for our needs, but I'd rather not go with that since I'm used to working with Servitorbot for automatizing rolls and such.

You start with 14.000 XP, to account for the XP from the Ravenwing Veteran advancement and the 1000 you receive upon chargen. Keep track of how much XP you've earned so you can account for rank. I'll assume no one will cheat their rolls, prove my trust is not misplaced. ;) Any advancement from any source book, official or otherwise, is permitted, provided it makes sense. If in doubt, or if you don't have access to any source book, PM me as I own most of the Deathwatch books, and all the ones relevant for chargen. Also, I suggest we use the weapon stats from the errata, as it makes weapons other than bolters a functional alternative.

Almost forgot: if anyone wants editable PDF char sheets, give me a shout.

count me in! will have a character made by next friday and mIRC installed. Next friday makes it the 16th of dec! Might need some more details abt how we gna meet, since corolating several time zones can be tricky :lol: I suggest we make a list of all the ppl attending and inform them of what time (each players local time) the meeting will take place. Personaly im horrible with these kind of things :tu:

I would have liked to join in that but alas time is not on my side till the end of the month.

May i throw in an idea though?When you start keep a record and start a thread on this forum and give us a story based on your game(with a few creative modifications on the part of the author OFC)

count me in! will have a character made by next friday and mIRC installed. Next friday makes it the 16th of dec! Might need some more details abt how we gna meet, since corolating several time zones can be tricky :Troops: I suggest we make a list of all the ppl attending and inform them of what time (each players local time) the meeting will take place. Personaly im horrible with these kind of things :Elite:

Here you go:

GMT: 9 PM/2100

Greece: 11 PM/2300

CMID: 4 PM/1600

Well, that's unfortunate... Still, if your familial obligations allow it later on, feel free to let us know. I'll even make a tertiary objective out of it. :D

Squad composition thus far:

1xAssault

1xDevastator/Techmarine

1xUndetermined (my friend wants me to hold his hand while he makes his char or something... sigh)

Quick couple of things.

My friend decided to go Tactical Marine. If a certain chapter master would be so kind as to provide me with his final decision in character sheet format soon, we'd have our combat squad done. :D

That said, I'm going to ask everyone to post a short blurb about their characters' pasts, to make up for the fact that the past charts in the core book are.. well, related to the Deathwatch. Indulge me on this, so I don't have an anger fit while I write up a semi-feasible plot. Obviously, you can add as much detail as you like. Give your interrogator chaplain an insight into your mind. :P

Another thing. As I said, we all start with a bonus 1000 XP invested into the Ravenwing Veteran sub-specialty, as well as 40 renown to reflect your standing inside the chapter. Don't forget to include that in your sheets. PM me if you need details.

If no unforeseen complication arises, we'll begin playing on irc.freenode.net, #deathwatchpt at 9 PM GMT, Friday the 16th of December, 2011.

Archived