Ultramarines and now Space Wolves — my first army

Anry Seagull

I came into the hobby from video games (I was a game journalist and editor about 10 years). Several months ago I decided to raise my son perseverance. He also really like WH40K, so I gave him a birthday AOBR. Honestly, I really wanted to try myself :). I was always impressed and interested in different miniatures. With AOBR I also take starter paint set with 5 ultras — to learn on them. I was so eager to begin, literally pounced on them, without any studying.

That's what happened:

http://pics.livejournal.com/anryseagull/pic/0001hdqq.jpg

I was horrified. Yes, I made absolutely all newbie's mistakes.

But God has given us the Internet. Since 95% of my queries to Google and YouTube begin with the words "how to paint ..." I spending all my nights long on B&C, Dakka and WarSeer. Some time later I was a little touched up "training" squad:

http://pics.livejournal.com/anryseagull/pic/0001pd45.jpg

It is still very bad, but I at least knew how to hold the brush, hands stopped trembling, I came to understand what are the methods and techniques.

Over the next squad, I worked very slowly and carefully. Many thanks to all of you for the inspiration and science, brothers. Never cease to marvel your patience, skills and talents.

Finally, I had almost finished tac squad without Sgt. I understand that I not ready to paint him yet.

Decided to start a blog to continue my education. I would be very grateful for advices and criticism.

gallery_64885_6722_68898.jpg

gallery_64885_6722_69255.jpg

gallery_64885_6722_57100.jpg

gallery_64885_6722_63092.jpg

gallery_64885_6722_23575.jpg

I plan to add a bit of grass on the bases and may be try to do some battle damage. Base under pyroman not ready because I haven't any suitable idea for it.

And please forgive me my poor English, it's not my native language.

Indeed, the progress is visible - if you keep plugging away and practicing, you won't go far wrong. Now then, those Ultramarines like quite good, actually, considering some of the paint jobs I've seen. And your English is fine, brother, it's alot better than many native speakers I know. :)

Very good job, especially for a beginner. You've taken a great effort to improve your skills. As said, all you can do now is practice and practice some more. But man if you keep advancing as fast as you have this far, you'll be a top notch painter in no time :lol:

• 1 month later...

I'm back, brothers.

Thanks for your kind words, it is very important to me, appreciate it.

No, I did not leave a hobby, I was preparing for the next step. Following the publication of photos of my Ultramarines and the pleasure of reviews, I seriously thought — what next? Do I really want to collect Smurfs? How about the game? Yes, painting miniatures is the most important part of hobby for me, but I want to learn how to play. I managed that playing codex marines not the most interesting option.

The aim — to raise an army to 1000 points. In WH40K I really like Space Marines, Orks and Chaos Space Marines.

Chaos Space Marines is beautiful, interesting and varied minis, paint them should be lot of fun. But to play... Only "obli-lash" strategy really works. It's boring. And there's no point in collecting thematic army. Looking forward for new codex.

Orcs. Really love them. But the prospect to paint minimum 60 green mugs make me stop. Later boyz we'll take ourz.

So — Space Marines. But not a codex chapter. I like White Scars and Salamanders, if only they have there own codex... Dream about it.

I've read all "special" codexs. I do not like fanatics. I do not like chapters with "secrets" and other kinks. Fluff, history and all that stuff play a main role in the selection, as you already understood.

So the choice was obvious and unique. Wolves. Space Wolves.

They are simple and not simple. Men. Warriors. Vikings. In the history of Russia Vikings have played an important role. They are loved by many here. In addition, they are beautiful minis! A lot of details, heads, hairs, furs — it should be very exciting to paint. And they play well, there are different strategys.

Over the past month I have read the codex several times. I have read all the books about Ragnar and Prospero Burns. I looked through a lot of topics and videos about building and painting Wolves — many thanks to all authors.

My army list:

1 Rune Priest (HQ) @ 100 Pts

Bolt Pistol; Jaws of the World Wolf; Living Lightning

1 Dreadnought (Elites) @ 140 Pts

Dreadnought CCW; Storm Bolter; Multi-melta

+

1 Drop Pod @ [35] Pts

Storm Bolter

5 Wolf Scouts Pack (Elites) @ 85 Pts

Bolt Pistols; CC Weapons; Meltagun

4 Wolf Guard Pack (Elites) @ 195 Pts

Bolt Pistols; Power Fist (x3); Combi-melta (x3)

+

1 Wolf Guard in Terminator Armour @ [48] Pts

Power Weapon; Cyclone missile launcher

8 Grey Hunters Pack (Troops) @ 185 Pts

Meltagun; Wolf Standard; Mark of the Wulfen

+

1 Rhino @ [35] Pts

8 Grey Hunters Pack (Troops) @ 155 Pts

Flamer

+

1 Rhino @ [35] Pts

5 Long Fangs (Heavy Support) @ 140 Pts

Missile Launcher (x5)

1 Squad Leader @ [15] Pts

Bolt Pistol; CC Weapon

Models in Army: 37

Total Army Cost: 1000

I wanted to do a minimum cost, maximum use is what was left of the AOBR set. Almost all have already purchased. Some FW accessories still on the road. Need another Rino, likely take Razorback.

gallery_64885_6915_261285.jpg

Been thinking what great company to choose. Inclined to Bran, I like werewolves :ph34r: Imperial Armor 11 appears just in time. I am very impressed with the characteristics of the Bloodied Hunter and his strategy — this is what I wanted to try!

Resolved — my wolves will be from the Bran Radmaw's great company. I'll try to buy him as soon as FW put it on the market (will be two miniatures, if I correctly understand the book).

Time to clean moldlines! I'll try to update the topic frequently.

Again sorry for many mistakes in my english, brothers, it was a very big and hard text for me.

Welcome, i read that your going to play space wolves,i suggest heading over to the wolves subforum.and a tip: dont buy rhinos; buy rhino chassis models (predators,whirlwinds,razorback) and magentize the options.

and you could always make your own company,if you want more info on the wolves defiantly come to our sub forum.

In my opinion your first squad was not bad at all and your next squad shows insane improvement. I have been in the hobby on and off for close to 10 years now and I still don't really have it in me to highlight Space Marines nor do I have the nerve to post my marines. Excellent work. Perhaps it is time I tried highlighting!

• 1 month later...

Another month passed. A lot of real-life, work, cares. But almost every night I worked at my Wolves. At the moment, all the infantry assembled and primed. I tryed my best to make each miniature as original as possible and carefully worked on poses. So they assembled and primed with Army Painter Uniform Grey.

gallery_64885_6915_50691.jpg

Before painting them, I decided to do a test mini. Took one of my poorly painted Ultramarines from starter paintset, toothbrush and nail polish remover without acetone. (Sorry for the presence of an orc in the photo, I bought it on sale at a local store. He was also very badly painted and the cost was very cheap ;))

gallery_64885_6915_224579.jpg

It was possible to remove almost all of the paint (my god, what a thick layer of paint I put on!). And almost no damage to the plastic.

gallery_64885_6915_44274.jpg

Then some work with a knife, removed the head, arms and shoulderpad, replacing them with wolve's one.

gallery_64885_6915_455115.jpg

The assembled miniature:

gallery_64885_6915_42987.jpg

Began to look for color, to practice techniques. Result was not very impressive — could not "catch" the color I want for a long time. For the first time tried to do battle damage by sponge. Thus, beta-version of the test mini:

gallery_64885_6915_19648.jpg gallery_64885_6915_87868.jpg

Realizing the lack of experience, I went to a local club, which also have a painting studio. There, under the guidance of an experienced painter I managed to achieve result that almost satisfies me. He needs some touches, also want to try another technique for battle damage and backpack of course — I prefer to paint them separately.

gallery_64885_6915_20414.jpg

Now I have a confidence and a desire to continue, only need to buy some paints. Working on these guys now:

gallery_64885_6915_124734.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I think he looks really nice and more importantly you are improving your painting as well which is looking great. I liked the Ultramarines but these guys are coming along nicely as well and you've got some very characterful models taking shape here.

Archived