The Most Awesome Warmachine

Snejk

As the title says, which is in your opinion the most awesome piece of warmachine available to the traitor legions and renegades? I'm interested in both fluff reasons and for pure gaming reasons, both standard games and Apocalypse.

I have to say that fluff wise Dreadnaughts are one of my absolute favourite warmachines. The thought of being diabolic enough to punish someone by enclosing him in a dreadnaught sarcophagus and slowly drive him insane while using him to reap havoc among the enemy is pure genious. And for gaming reasons i like them for just the same reason, and them being completely unreliable, killing, maiming and destroying anything, ANYTHING that gets in their way. Love em!!!

Well, there's the trusty defiler, which takes a dread and cranks it up to 11.

2 close combat weapons not choppy enough? Defiler can have 4.

Plasma cannon not blasty enough? Defiler has ordnance.

Marine pilot not crazy enough? Defiler has an insane, imprisoned demon pilot.

Hopefully the next codex will give us a greater variety of daemon engines. Maybe even Tzeentch's Doomwing and Firelord (Flying deamon engines!)

Hmm, I got tired of taking 3 squads of Obliterators so I decided to proxy a Plague Hulk, and I'm always impressed by how much firepower these things manage to soak up over the coarse of a game. I'd sometimes take 3 and they'd just take whatever was thrown at them, be it squads of sternguard with meltas or railguns. Feels good to be able to take something on the Defiler chassis that doesn't explode on the first turn.

I believe the Defiler is most awesome. I'm rather fond of giant fighting robots, so I think it's cool that I get the option to have on in 40k. I would like to see a beefed up version of the Defiler, as well as maybe a lesser version. I like the idea of the Soul Forge and of whole worlds in the Eye of Terror doing nothing but pump out bizarre war materiel, so the Defiler (and the count-as variations one can make) satisfy these bits of fluff to me.

Pistons and gears and crushing claws and smoke belching fire spewing death roaring demon-robots!

My vote goes to either the MKIIB Land Raider or the Vindicator.

MKIIB Land Raider: Incredibly appeasing to the eye; has some damned cool aesthetics to it while being utter dominating and powerful. An 'Art Of War" if you will. Loyalist ones look awesome, and a Chaos one is even cooler. My Night Lords run one with a few low and small trophy-spike racks with the Forge World Night Lord doors, and it's simply a work of malign art. In game it's incredibly intimidating to see, and it's pretty damn powerful in return. A punisher of many, this thing unleashes beatings.

Vindicator: A dominating vehicle of the Rhino chassis with a massive Dozer Blade/Siege Shield and an even more terrifying cannon. This thing looks compact and deadly. Doesn't matter what color it is, this things intimidates. Slap some chains, spikes, or whatever you want on it and it's even more menacing. These things are designed to level city blocks and gates in grinding siege battles, and they do just that. On the table they're monsters with those cannons. Time after time I have wiped whole units from the face of the earth with a single shot. Every force has learned to fear one they I've seen me destroy Terminator squads in one shot, entire ten man units, etc. Though the main cannon may get destroyed, I always use it to shield my forces if I have to, and even have it go Ram-Crazy and crush enemy vehicles or just terrorize/badger the enemy with Tank-Shocks and Storm Bolter/Combi-Bolter fire.

Hopefully the next codex will give us a greater variety of daemon engines. Maybe even Tzeentch's Doomwing and Firelord (Flying deamon engines!)

This!

I want to (at last!) see 40k kits for the Deathdealer, Tower of Skulls, Blood Cauldron, Silver Towers, etc.

This!

I want to (at last!) see 40k kits for the Deathdealer, Tower of Skulls, Blood Cauldron, Silver Towers, etc.

Aren't those Apoc vehicles? I don't think they fit in 40k general.

While its a stretch to say its included, I think the Soulgrinder wins out for me. It takes the Defiler, which I love, one step further. Its also slightly nostalgic because it reminds me of the daemons from old school Doom games.

While its a stretch to say its included, I think the Soulgrinder wins out for me. It takes the Defiler, which I love, one step further. Its also slightly nostalgic because it reminds me of the daemons from old school Doom games.

Cyberdaemon or imps? They remind me of Cyberdaemons.....those big creepy things......

My vote is a bit bias, since this is something I'm building personally. If you like the Vindicator, I think you'll like it.

"Hey, you got Vindicator in my Predator!!" ... "No. You got Predator in my Vindicator!!"

I call it a Chaos Heavy Predator - Pattern Unknown...

http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j332/SubtleDiscord/WIP%20Thread%20Photos/Heavy_Predator_01.jpg

This is a very early mock up and it has much revision and refining to be done, but it's already obvious where it'll be going. It has no rules yet, so if I had to pick something in the codex, the Land Raider would get my vote.

Nobody likes to deal with a Land Raider, and it's quintessential Chaos all the way, in my opinion. The Defiler would be a close second as a cheap 'ever-army's-war-machine' that truly feels even more 'from the Eye of Terror Chaos', but it's a bit to fragile beside the Land Raider if you want to intimidate.

The Hell Talon, the Hell Blade and the massive Harbinger bomber. It's pretty cool that Chaos Marines have their own aerial support and that they use their Servitors to pilot them.

Defiler, It can blow you up, shoot you, burn you and then stomp on you. Survive that! Oh, and its powered by a daemon! Excellent, just what I ordered!

I just wished it had different versions like a leman russ or the rhino chassis...

My vote is a bit bias, since this is something I'm building personally. If you like the Vindicator, I think you'll like it.

"Hey, you got Vindicator in my Predator!!" ... "No. You got Predator in my Vindicator!!"

http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j332/SubtleDiscord/WIP%20Thread%20Photos/Heavy_Predator_01.jpg

This is a very early mock up and it has much revision and refining to be done, but it's already obvious where it'll be going. It has no rules yet, so if I had to pick something in the codex, the Land Raider would get my vote.

Nobody likes to deal with a Land Raider, and it's quintessential Chaos all the way, in my opinion. The Defiler would be a close second as a cheap 'ever-army's-war-machine' that truly feels even more 'from the Eye of Terror Chaos', but it's a bit to fragile beside the Land Raider if you want to intimidate.

This... That is... I see what you did there. :wub: That is positively gorgeous. Have you any stats worked out for it? It looks like a rolling arsenal of death...

Personally I love the fluff of the Defilers, something about a shrieking angry daemonic engine channeling all of its furry with a variety of flails, blades and other ever so personal close combat weapons, definitely suits my fancy... I wish I had better results with mine. It always manages to get knocked out at the first turn...

I love Defilers. Mine has never under-performed, not once (under my command...under the command of others it rebels and teamkills)

My warband have no need for battle tanks or Dreadnoughts for a Defiler is an amalgamation of both. It performs well as artillery, support or in a spearhead role. I doubt any tank or dreadnought could do that.

That said...I wouldn't mind a super-defiler along the lines of the brass scorpion scratch-build in the main Apoc book.

I wish I had better results with mine. It always manages to get knocked out at the first turn...

If I field any at all I field two anymore. They seem to work better in pairs and will draw that much more fire away from your maneuver units in the opening game. Having them both targeting the same thing with the Battle Cannon then something will usually get hit.

This... That is... I see what you did there. :) That is positively gorgeous. Have you any stats worked out for it? It looks like a rolling arsenal of death...

Personally I love the fluff of the Defilers, something about a shrieking angry daemonic engine channeling all of its furry with a variety of flails, blades and other ever so personal close combat weapons, definitely suits my fancy... I wish I had better results with mine. It always manages to get knocked out at the first turn...

Thanks for the positive feedback. It still has a long way to go, and I've put it on the 'back burner' while I finish other things, but I'm very happy with how the concept is coming together. Doubling up the side 'track housing' has done a very good job of bulking up the chassis making it feel plausible to carry that many weapons.

I've had a very basic look at the Vehicle Design Rules, but haven't done any stats/points for it yet. At a 'basic build' level it will be a straight Predator + Vindicator blend - So a Predator with a BIG gun 'up its nose'. But, it will be completely magnetized, so I plan to have some 'exotic' chaos/daemonic weapon systems like the triple-barrel turret pictured, and things like 'gatling-plasma-gun' sponsons.

Archived