Captain in Terminator Armour

bleedcrimson

I got a random Terminator Model from my mate (the terminator sergeant from AOBR)

I use a kantor list so i use mainly sternguard but for bigger games i've been thinking of adding another HQ choice.

As i have this model available do you think its worth using it as a captain with termie armour and storm bolter and power sword.

Is it worth 140pts or would it be better spent elsewhere???????

Better spent elsewhere. For some odd reason, a TDA-clad Captain or Master cannot take a relic blade, which has become THE defining weapon for these two HQ slots. Plus, Termies can't sweeping advance if they crush someone in close combat -- which is what captains are designed to do. In fact, the only HQ I personally would take in TDA is a Librarian so that he can move and fire the Vortex of Doom psychic power. You can get a 2+ save on your captain by taking artificer armor, too, which still has the option for the relic blade.

The only TDA captain I bother with, which is rare, is one with lightening claws. Still no sweeping advance, but 5 attacks on the charge that typically hit on 3's with refillable wounds is awesome. Not saying it compares to the relic blade art armor load out, but the model and fluff are pretty cool.

Are you running any other Terminators in your army? If not, skip the TDA Captain. He'll just slow you down with his transport restrictions and inability to sweep defeated foes in melee.

However, if you run other Terminators, he'll be at least nominally useful. With the stormbolter and power sword loadout the AoBR model has, he will be a mid-range shooting model. Obviously he'll mesh with shooty Terminators due to the matching wargear. If you want, take an auxiliary grenade launcher for added shooting, and digital weapons for a reroll to wound on one melee attack per combat phase. Is it ideal or auto-win? Of course not, but it's a way to use your model in your army.

If you're running Assault Terminators you can pile him in with them in their Land Raider. He'll add four power sword attacks at I5, which is faster than all of the regular guys in the unit. Again, digital weapons will be useful here. Those extra I5 attacks can soften up an enemy unit before your lightning claw models get their swings in. His stormbolter won't be of much use in this situation, but unless you know the two potential wounds could cause the enemy unit to break and run out of assault range, fire them and hope for the best.

In a Kantor list, he'll have trouble meshing with Sternguard. He can't use any special ammo in that stormbolter of his, so it'll be situational whether he can or should fire alongside them. His is good for soaking krak missiles and plasma wounds away from troopers at least ;)

Like others have said, the termie captain unfortunately is not worth taking. However, if you're so inclined, like Deus Ex Ferrum noted, you can take artificer armor for a 2+ save along with the captains 4++ invulnerability save from the iron halo. Then you can use the termie model as as "count as" artificer armor just for cool looks. But, yes, for 140 points a termie captain is not worth it.

If you're looking for other HQ choice ideas, then a librarian makes a very nice choice. He's not very expensive for his cost and can give you a good amount of support for your army, especially your sternguard. You can put kantor in 1 squad of sternies and the libby in the other. The Avenger ability does quite well in a sternguard heavy flamer squad. Also, with null zone you will have an easier time picking off those tougher models with invulnerability saves.

I got a random Terminator Model from my mate (the terminator sergeant from AOBR)

As i have this model available do you think its worth using it as a captain with termie armour and storm bolter and power sword.

Is it worth 140pts or would it be better spent elsewhere???????

Paint him up, put him on the table, and give it a go, I say. Perhaps buy him Digital Weapons for a few extra points to give him that one re-rollable wound a turn.

Maybe do a few little cosmetic conversions, make him look somewhat unique, and see what happens. If nothing else, you'll have a nice-looking model.

I have the old metal termie captain, I run him as such.

Captain -148

-Artificer Armor

-Relic Blade

-Storm Bolter

Same wysiwyg stuff, eight more points, and (imo) much much better. Same save, better weapon, fits in transports and can sweep. The only downside is the inability to deep strike, and I honestly never really see anyone do that (chaos aside). I guess his wonky points cost is a downside to, since now you need to do some pre-5th point finagling.

But, 140 points is a pair of MM/HF speeders, and I'd rate those higher than either of these men.

Archived