Battle of the Fang

--eFTy-->

I'm debating whether to get and read Battle of the Fang or not. After the huge fail that was Prospero Burns I'm a bit wary that this book will not really give me too much insight into the Thousand Sons, and I pretty much am already sick of space wolves. Of course I've seen lots of reviews online but they all focus on the wolves.

So - if anyone here has read it, please share. I'd like to know if it's worth the money and/or time for a Thousand Sons enthusiast.

I've read it twice, just in case I missed something.

Most of my Space Wolf friends agree with me: Though it's a Space Marines Battles book about the Space Wolves, I am not exaggerating when I tell you that 80% of the book is actually Thousand Sons perspective/narration/voices.

Check it out. You will get some interesting ideas and insight into how the Rubrics operate during combat situations.

I thought it was a good read. Ive read it twice now and couldnt put it down both time. The Thousand Sons were portrayed well in my opinion and I had felt the book though leaning closer 60% Wolfcentric did a great job of 'leading' us through the Thousand Sons part of the story. If youre not sure about the worth of it try to borrow it from a friend to get started on it.

Read it. Then read it again. And a third time for good measure. It's one of the best 40k books written, with the exclusion A D-B's stuff. It's not overly wolfy or Thousand Sonny, so no matter what you're interested in, you'll probably like it. It also expands the Prospero Burns Wolves, so it's a bit more serious and practical than the Space Wolf series.

Hmm this is actually making my interested in the book. Even though I always found the Space Wolves to be rather ridiculous and felt bad for the poor Thousand Sons to have such a silly nemesis that keeps defeating them. That said I thought Prospero Burns was "ok" but it was mostly just some guy hanging out with some Space Wolves and recalling the same memory over and over again while the Space Wolves ate sloppily and probably smelled bad.

Never read A Thousand Sons because Graham McNiell makes my eyes bleed. Which is I guess important, how much characterization is there in this book and how much is "Boom! Bang! Wallop! And then a titan!"?

It's not as much characterization as A D-B, whom I must really stop using as a comparison, but it's certainly a pretty nice amount, especially for 40k. Chris Wraight seems like he tends more towards battles that are more background to something that advances the plot or adds to a character, rather than battle for battle's sake, if you get what I mean.

I thought it was a good read. Ive read it twice now and couldnt put it down both time. The Thousand Sons were portrayed well in my opinion and I had felt the book though leaning closer 60% Wolfcentric did a great job of 'leading' us through the Thousand Sons part of the story. If youre not sure about the worth of it try to borrow it from a friend to get started on it.

Storm of Iron is actually my favourite 40k book, so far, so your argument is quite convincing. :P

Read it. Then read it again. And a third time for good measure. It's one of the best 40k books written, with the exclusion A D-B's stuff. It's not overly wolfy or Thousand Sonny, so no matter what you're interested in, you'll probably like it. It also expands the Prospero Burns Wolves, so it's a bit more serious and practical than the Space Wolf series.

Give Thousand Sons a try. It's miles above his previous work like the first Ultramarines books, and it has loads of background info on the legion. Unfortunately though it also had the side effect of making me kinda hate Magnus and appreciate Ahriman, completely opposite to my previous opinion. But this is very subjective in the end. So give it a shot if you're into the Sons.

Cheers for all the replies, guys!

It's interesting to see three aspects of Magnus.

1) How non-Chaosy he seems despite having been a Daemon for 2000 years.

2) How fatherly he still is to his marines. He's pretty much abandoned them in 40k, preferring to probe the mysteries of Chaos instead.

3) How he's starting to change. The callous and casual way he sacrificed that marine is not how he would have treated his troops before his ascension.

Give Thousand Sons a try. It's miles above his previous work like the first Ultramarines books, and it has loads of background info on the legion. Unfortunately though it also had the side effect of making me kinda hate Magnus and appreciate Ahriman, completely opposite to my previous opinion. But this is very subjective in the end. So give it a shot if you're into the Sons.

Cheers for all the replies, guys!

I've read A Thousand Sons and liked it. I still can't decide whether I like Prospero Burns or A Thousand Sons better.

I read this Monday start to finish. It is written pretty well, I am rereading it slower now so I can catch the nuances a little better.

From the Thousand Sons side, Magnus makes choices as if army is disposable or able to be replenished.

Reading this at the moment! I struggled through Iron Company, despite some great characters in it, but his Sword of Vengeance and …Justice books were fantastic, with some great plots and characters in it. That is purely why I bought this book. So far it is pretty exciting, I’m certainly enjoying it.

And I actually loved Prospero Burns, though it was more like ‘Tales of the Space Wolves, with a small coda about the sacking of Prospero’.

I read this Monday start to finish. It is written pretty well, I am rereading it slower now so I can catch the nuances a little better.

From the Thousand Sons side, Magnus makes choices as if army is disposable or able to be replenished.

Read it all now. From the Space Wolves side, the Wolves defend the Fang as though they have an entire Chapter in place!

Overall, a great book though. I particularly love the way Wraight

starts killing off major characters almost casually towards the end once Magnus enters the fray.

• 2 weeks later...

Magnus a very large mortal army leading his charge. Its not numberless, but its got thousands of warriors to be wasted and spent like spare change.

Read it all now. From the Space Wolves side, the Wolves defend the Fang as though they have an entire Chapter in place!

The wolves also had a sizable force at their disposal. Again not limitless but still at least a few thousands of huskaerls to defend the hearth. Also, the Wolves ALWAYS fight like theyve got an entire chapter behind them.

I'm a long time thousand sons sympathizer, and I found the book to be really really informative as to the state of mind of the Legion after the Heresy

Btw, noob question, how do you edit your avatar? Any help would be appreciated.

I'm planning to read it still, sometime soon, but is there any mention of thousand sons vehicles, such as rhinos and predators, and whether they are tracked or floating (as I've seen a few people suggest), and who drives them? Just so I can work my mind around vehicles for my own army

It's great, my only problem is how despite throwing everything they have at it, the Mangusite Thousand Sons are basically destroyed, I mean if "A Thousand Sons" was n't already to make Thousand Sons players hate their Primarch, then this is just icing on the cake. It is a great book, would certainly recommend it to people, but it has left me thinking.

When are we going to see a book/story where the Thousand Sons succeed, or at least don't get slaughtered?

It's great, my only problem is how despite throwing everything they have at it, the Magnusite Thousand Sons are basically destroyed, I mean if "A Thousand Sons" wasn't already to make Thousand Sons players hate their Primarch, then this is just icing on the cake. It is a great book, would certainly recommend it to people, but it has left me thinking.

When are we going to see a book/story where the Thousand Sons succeed, or at least don't get slaughtered?

Well it could be argued that the Thousand Sons were successful. The whole point was not to destroy the Fang but to prevent the Space Wolves from becoming a dominant marine force in the galaxy (which in the end was achieved).

While hundreds of thousands of human forces were indeed expended in attaining this goal not many actual Thousand Sons sorcerers were lost, most of them just vanishing before the space wolf reinforcements arrived. No doubt it was a costly venture but one that ultimately was a victory for Magnus although no loyalist could know what his real aims had been.

Archived