Brother Zael

Garden Ninja

Here he is, with his heavy flamer and way too much parchment on him. I guess he must have doused those papers with something flame retardant or something.

Like the others, I've posted him up to Coolmini for anyone who cares to vote.

http://www.gardenninja.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/space-hulk/brother-zael.jpg

http://www.gardenninja.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/space-hulk/brother-zael-2.jpg

Actually it's because blue is the contrast color for red. It has the most visual pop, as opposed to a green jewel on red. You notice that Ultramarines have red lenses, and BA's have blue lenses? Take a look at the 'Eavy Metal pics. You'll notice that quite a lot.

As for the model itself, it's B.E.A. yootiful. Very excellent shading from dark to mid red, and the NMM is just great. A few things, however. Underneath the 'sight' of the Flamer, I'm noticing a mold line. Also, what that a conscious decision to not drill out the 2nd hole on it?

First up, great job on the mini! Glad to see you drilled the barrels on this one.

Actually it's because blue is the contrast color for red. It has the most visual pop, as opposed to a green jewel on red.

Color theory would like a word. When dealing with subtractive colors, complementary colors always have the most pop when placed side by side. Using your example, the complement of red is green not blue. A good way to determine the complement of a color is to find it on the color wheel and look for the color directly opposite it. In your example, since red is a primary color, the color opposite is a mix of the remaining primary colors, blue and yellow, which forms green not blue.

The contrast you are seeing here isn't due to the use of complementary colors, rather it's a contrast of value. The purple here being a far darker color and thus allowing the lighter blue to stand out better from the rest of the surrounding colors. The color of the lenses on GW models has nothing to do with complementary colors and for all you know it could just be because the painter likes the color combination.

First up, great job on the mini! Glad to see you drilled the barrels on this one.

Actually it's because blue is the contrast color for red. It has the most visual pop, as opposed to a green jewel on red.

Color theory would like a word. When dealing with subtractive colors, complementary colors always have the most pop when placed side by side. Using your example, the complement of red is green not blue. A good way to determine the complement of a color is to find it on the color wheel and look for the color directly opposite it. In your example, since red is a primary color, the color opposite is a mix of the remaining primary colors, blue and yellow, which forms green not blue.

The contrast you are seeing here isn't due to the use of complementary colors, rather it's a contrast of value. The purple here being a far darker color and thus allowing the lighter blue to stand out better from the rest of the surrounding colors. The color of the lenses on GW models has nothing to do with complementary colors and for all you know it could just be because the painter likes the color combination.

You are right about the value. That is how I made sure the blood drops stood out- you'll notice that the blue jewel effects do not even come close to fading to black. Also, most of the details on this mini have very light values in contrast against the dark value of the armor.

However, I do a bit of prosalyting for advance color theory, and I really can't pass up this opportunity.

When dealing with subtractive colors (like paint) using blue and red as primary colors will actually cause you to be unable to mix a number of different colors. Rather, the subtractive primary colors should be closer to what your CMYK computer printer uses: Cyan, Magenta and Yellow, where red is a secondary mix of yellow and magenta, and blue is a secondary mix of cyan and yellow.

Here is what a real color wheel looks like:

http://realcolorwheel.com/colorwheel/Real_Color_Wheel_475.jpg

The red that I have on this mini is tinted towards magenta, and I'd say it is around 10, maybe even 9. The opposite of this, you'll find is a greenish turquoise color. The turquoise that I used is probably closer to 26, which is not directly opposite, but not too far off either. This creates a high contrast, if not the highest possible.

Archived