Khakis Iron Snakes Project

Ok, so within the coming weeks and/or months I’ll be starting my Iron Snakes army.

For those reading this, at the moment, I apologise as there is no current photographs for you to sink your teeth into as I am currently hording bitz from everywhere. This poses my first question.

I have a stupid amount of miniatures floating around in my loft (attic) which I need to locate – no doubt buried under baby clothes and the like...therefore my first question is this – are there any good methods of 1) disassembling glued models (or will it simply be a case of breaking them down for spare parts?) 2) how do I/can I go about removing water based paint (GW paints) Dunk them in warm water and scrub?.

Second question...

The fluff behind my army is that they will be fighting a in a snowscape, in the midst of battle SO...what methods are there to make a good snow base – I'm talking fresh powder sort of snow if that helps

OK so maybe it’s only two questions at the moment, but no doubt I’ll have more to follow, especially when I start building/converting and painting...after all who best to answer my questions than the good people of B&C? ;)

Pictures of my first assembled tactical squad will follow shortly – they come from about a year ago when I was toying with the idea of a Drop Pod diorama, got about as far as ordering the bits :) (that’s a point! I still have an unassembled drop pod floating around somewhere!)...the reason I'm not posting pictures yet is I'm not very happy with them, they’re not very...dynamic, think 1st/2nd gen. SM’s...

Thankfully I've got a heap of assault marine legs on order to help rectify this situation so I doubt it will be long till they’re looking nice and hero like. Oh and did I mention Contemptor Pattern Dread? No? Well he’s on the way too...his body is at least...

I think that will do for the moment...I believe I've successfully sent enough of you asleep now...again any help with my questions above would be very much appreciated, whether it be links to other topics etc, it all counts!

Till next time...

Khaki

p.s. my next update will include my ideas/interpretations of the Iron snakes as well as a unit wish list for my force as well as (fingers crossed) some pics!

Cheers :P

...therefore my first question is this – are there any good methods of 1) disassembling glued models (or will it simply be a case of breaking them down for spare parts?) 2) how do I/can I go about removing water based paint (GW paints) Dunk them in warm water and scrub?

1) With glued models it depends on what glue has been used. If it's super glue then some firm, yet careful pulling and twisting is usually all that is needed (unless the parts in question are relatively fragile). If it's plastic glue then things are going to be much, much more dificult - there is a possibility you might be able to score the join and carefully cut away the attached pieces but there's a high chance that this method will damage the miniature in places you won't want damaged. Unfortunately, a great percentage of models put together with plastice glue will simply have to remain the way they were assembled unless you want specific parts and damn the rest. :lol:

2) I'd personally recommend getting Fairy Power Spray but you could also use Dettol. For sake of brevity I'm going to cut and paste some advice I gave in another thread for paint stripping:

I have recently decided to strip the paint from my Hector Rex model. I am a little worried about what will happen to the model should i use the wrong technique.

How do I go about this?

If you are a US citizen I suggest getting a hold of a product called Simple Green, if you are a UK resident then I personally would recommend Fairy Power Spray (however others would swear by the brown Dettol). Each of these products are friendly to plastics, greenstuff and resin whereas products with acetone in them (nail varnish remover for example) are definitely not.

Now then; soak/submerge the model for a several hours (if you're using Dettol/Simple Green) or spritz it liberally with the Power Spray and wait half an hour. Now take a used toothbrush to it, preferably in an area where paint flecks won't be an issue (NOT the kitchen sink). Sometimes you'll find that all the paint won't come off in one go so repeat the process if you feel the model needs another go at it. Obviously once done scrubbing (relatively gently on the more fragile areas) you'll need to rinse off the model.

Remember, when you are using Dettol, use rubber gloves (marigolds) as the product does slightly dissolve the upper layer of your skin. If you do it without gloves you may find the skin on your hands might feel slightly 'soapy' (ever so slightly slippery) but this is not a cause for alarm. It is a bleach, after all. Also, if you are using Dettol, DO NOT rinse with water. Rinse first with some Dettol and then rinse with water otherwise you'll find little globs of paint will stick to the model and will need (tedious) removal with a toothpick.

Hope this helps. :P

Second question...

The fluff behind my army is that they will be fighting a in a snowscape, in the midst of battle SO...what methods are there to make a good snow base – I'm talking fresh powder sort of snow if that helps.

Maybe this thread might help?

@Crazy Eight...that should be a great help, thanks very much, although reading Olisredan below it sounds like Simple Green is an american cleaner, so it

might take a little longer than I want to arrive in the post ;) ...like I said though, thanks, and I hope I dont dissapoint lol ;)

@ Olisredan...Brilliant, all those links help loads, and I'll definatly be making good use of them...you know...when I can get in the loft ;)...wierd Ive been visiting 'From the Warp' quite alot and I've never seen that :D

Thanks again guys, I'll be back in the not too distant future with an update.

Until ten,

Khaki

• 7 months later...

Hi everyone!

So it must've seemed like I had fallen off the face of the planet, but i can assure you I havent (maglocks enabled)...

It's been an incredibly busy and hectic couple of months for me, but now I'm back with avengance! I've been slowly gathering supplies, and couple that with crawling around loft (attic) spaces looking for old models and tools, its taken me a while.

I am pleased to announce I have completed my first test mini!

Please no comments about the fact he has the imperial eagle - my GS-foo is weak, rendering me useless at sculpting. The base will be completed at a later date:

gallery_64855_7550_35975.jpg

gallery_64855_7550_39.jpg

gallery_64855_7550_105392.jpg

I realised whilst painting he's my first painted mini in going on three years now, I will be going back and adding a bit more silver here and there to finish him off but all in all im pretty pleased.

Any help or critisism you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

All the best.

Khaki

I don't see what's wrong with the chest eagle, but it looks very nice. A strong showing for a 3 year hiatus, I'm in the process of building some bikes for my own Iron Snakes and will probably update my old wip thread in the coming weeks. You have a clear theme with your basing which is good, what else do you intend to include in the army?

I look forward to seeing what else you come up with.

I don't see what's wrong with the chest eagle, but it looks very nice. A strong showing for a 3 year hiatus, I'm in the process of building some bikes for my own Iron Snakes and will probably update my old wip thread in the coming weeks. You have a clear theme with your basing which is good, what else do you intend to include in the army?

I look forward to seeing what else you come up with.

Thanks ghosty, looking forward to seeing your Snakes make a return!

The chest thing, mainly is that instead of body of an eagle, it should be a snake - as the Iron Snakes worship the God Emperor as a giant snake, like those on Ithaka. There's always someone that mentions it :lol: .

Army wise, I'm looking to include a couple of tacticals, a squad of sternguard (which will be my notables), a contemptor dread, librarian, rhinos and drop pod. so yeah, trying to keep things fluffy for my first 1000pts.

+++++

As I was in a rush when I posted the photos this morning I forgot to add a few points.

My eventual goal is a high quality tabletop force. My skills will never make it to golden deamon standard (I doubt anyway) but I'd like an army I wouldnt feel ashamed to show off.

The model to paint him to that standard took me a little over two hours, so I wanna be going and improving on that pace. One thing I need to do is buy new paints! alot of mine are still usable but verging on the side of solid mass lol.

One thing I would like advice on is what to do with the Bolter, I feel its the models weakest point and im not 100% sure how I want it to look in the end - aside from being mostly black to contrast his armour.

Till next time.

Khaki

• 2 months later...

So...progress is slow, but at least I've now painted four! (with another 17 or so ready for primer)

If the want is out there I shall get some better pics, excuse the lighting and the background, I work with what I got ;)

gallery_64855_7550_245006.jpg

C&C people!

Khaki out

EDIT: spelling error

wow, I thought I was the only IS superfan! nice to meet you. I have a tale of four armies in my sig. check it out, and be sure to vote for the Iron snakes as one of the three remaining armies. also I just have to play devils advocate, did you notice the cover of brothers of the snake and how only the left shoulder pad is red and white? are you planning to ignore that and do both like I am? any how, I saw another snakes guy in this thread, we should work together and give that other metal marine army(silver skulls) a run for their money.

your models look sweet BTW

-FP

wow, I thought I was the only IS superfan! nice to meet you. I have a tale of four armies in my sig. check it out, and be sure to vote for the Iron snakes as one of the three remaining armies. also I just have to play devils advocate, did you notice the cover of brothers of the snake and how only the left shoulder pad is red and white? are you planning to ignore that and do both like I am? any how, I saw another snakes guy in this thread, we should work together and give that other metal marine army(silver skulls) a run for their money.

your models look sweet BTW

-FP

Thanks for the comment furioso-prime! after seeing some of your models it's a real compliment :tu:

You know what I completely forgot about the right shoulder pad. What I might do is test it on my next few minis, just to check that it doesnt look like a silver overload, otherwise I'll get round to changing them. (p.s Ive actually built the Snake off the front cover of the book, he's one of the next on the chopping painting board)

Khaki out!

well I dug this Doom Legion thread out. it has one of the most beautiful and more importantly simple metal recipe ever. also, check out my friend 1000heathens' Astral Claws thread, it's pretty sick as well.

But I am serious, it looks like the snakes are gonna landslide their way into my 4 armies thread. when that happens, I will be starting a separate "For Ithaka" thread so we (Iron Snakes players) can post our work on the same forum and really take the Phratry somewhere.

well I dug this Doom Legion thread out. it has one of the most beautiful and more importantly simple metal recipe ever. also, check out my friend 1000heathens' Astral Claws thread, it's pretty sick as well.

But I am serious, it looks like the snakes are gonna landslide their way into my 4 armies thread. when that happens, I will be starting a separate "For Ithaka" thread so we (Iron Snakes players) can post our work on the same forum and really take the Phratry somewhere.

Count me in!

And thanks for the threads, I'll look into them :unsure:

to sum up the doom legio paint process

-basecoat with vallejo air color: gun (or leadbelcher with a touch of black to darken it a bit)

-line shade with nuln oil (or P3 armour wash, if you can get it,it's better)

-clean up with base color

-edge highlight with runefang steel(or P3 platinumm)

it's really that simple, and it looks amazing. you could even simplify it further by;

-base with gun or leadbelcher

-allover wash

-dry brush base color

-edge highlight or edge drybrush silver.

real simple. of course in my experience, the second method is a little rough looking up close.

and don't forget to thin your paints, especially the white, for some reason it clumps more than any other color i've worked with.

I use this to thin my paints, it's awesome.

get some liquitex brand Flo-aid.

and some distilled water

mix 10%flo-aid/90%water. buy a drugstore dropper bottle to mix in and dispense from.

this stuff is like crack you'll never not use it again.

Oh, and on your bolter casing comment.......I think a dark blue might be a way to go.

OK so here's things as they stand. I appologise about the standard of photo :) :

gallery_64855_7550_3675109.jpg

Chief Librarian Petrok

gallery_64855_7550_240517.jpg

gallery_64855_7550_139715.jpg

Sergeant Priad of Damocles Squad

gallery_64855_7550_153104.jpg

gallery_64855_7550_124195.jpg

Sergeant Xavier of Plato Squad

and now all the others I dont yet have names for :)

gallery_64855_7550_58556.jpg

gallery_64855_7550_215997.jpg

gallery_64855_7550_177438.jpg

gallery_64855_7550_80847.jpg

gallery_64855_7550_215910.jpg

gallery_64855_7550_195238.jpg

gallery_64855_7550_65111.jpg

gallery_64855_7550_165322.jpg

gallery_64855_7550_26406.jpg

gallery_64855_7550_156036.jpg

gallery_64855_7550_122398.jpg

gallery_64855_7550_111921.jpg

gallery_64855_7550_143155.jpg

gallery_64855_7550_146816.jpg

And finally this is my version of the Space marine off the cover of the "Brothers of the Snake" novel

Looking through these, there's a few poses im not happy with which I'll go and tweek, and Ive probobly missed a ton of mold lines lol. Thank you to all those that have given me inspiration for some of these models, no doubt a few of you will look through these and think "hm...that one looks oddly familiar!".

As a note, I will be going back on the painted models and paint some light battle damage...which will follow for the rest

Lemme know what you good people think

Khaki out!

A good clean metal base I've been using for whole metal models is, In old GW colour names.

Chainmail

60% water or medium 20% Chadrdon Granite, 10% Chaos black - This can be substituted with skavenblight dinge

I find having flat recessess makes the metal pop much more, and makes your highlights function without having to do extreme highlighting.

I think guys im going to stick to the metal method I'm using, mainly because of three things:

1) It's quick and easy

2) I'm only going for a neat table top standard.

3) It looks better in real life - as soon as I can get a proper photo booth set up with better lighting and a white background I'm hoping it'll show what I'm doing off more (at the moment it almost looks like galvanised steel I think).

Thank you to both for the metal options though, and I'm looking forward to seeing furioso-primes Iron snakes with your doom legion style paint scheme - you have more patience than me sir! :D

I'm currently working on Petrok, so check back for updates within the week!

Oh, and as for CaptainThade "Come on for snakes" to you sir!

Khaki out

Good call, your metal looks just fine online. yep, I think I'll start a "for Ithaka" thread soon. we gotta be ready, half of our chapter is commited to the 13th Black Crusade undertaking, according to cannon. let's show em we can handle more than greenskins and Primuls! Gather the Notables, for Ithaka.

Great work on the Iron Snakes so far! Always love to see someone else's take on the chapter. Loving your take on Priad. ;)

Sadly my snakes are the other side of the world at the minute, so I'm not making much progress on them, however they might serve as inspiration for your work, so here are my two WIP threads.

Army of Heroes - Iron Snakes

2010 WIP project.

I'll be following this one closely!

:P

Quick question: Where did you get the drum magazins for your bolters?

I have seen them around a lot as of late and was wondering where they were from?

Thanks for the heads up.

I love the different subtle poses you have going for most of the models, like the plasma cannon guy rearing up, and the L. Claw on the end of the Sternguard model's power fist is a great conversion too...I think it actually improves the lines and pose of the original, and hardly looks like an add-on.

I'll keep an eye out for the progress your snakes are making with anticipation!

Archived