DW Command Sqd Kit

MayorDaley

As the title suggests, I am wondering how everyone else likes to kit out their command squads.

The set-up that I have been using as of late is this:

-Belial with TH/SS, Apoth with TH/SS, Banner with TH/SS, Sgt with SB/PW, Terminator with SB/CF and CML, and lastly a Terminator with SB/CF.

My question is this: Is there a more optimal set-up for these guys that I am just not seeing, or is this the way most people run their CO Sqd?

Well, for my counts as DW command squad (I run a DiY successor chapter), I'm working on the following load out so far.

- counts as Beliel with Twin LC, Apoth with SB/CF, Banner with TH/SS, Sgt with Twin LC, Brother with TH/SS and CML, and Brother with TH/SS

but I'm not sure if it is a good load out yet.

I run bels with claws, HF/CF, claws, and 3xTH/SS. Makes for excellent balance against all types of victims. The apothecary goes in a shooty squad, since they're out in the open taking fire (both assaulty squads have crusaders, so they can't really be torrented, and FNP won't help as much in melee). I don't field a banna wava, but if I did, he'd go in my other melee squad...four TH/SS, HC/CF, and TDAIC. The bonus attacks on a thunderhammer-pure squad, WITH REROLLS, would be just plain sick.

I currently run 3 Battle Brothers with TH/SS including 1 with CML, 1 Battle Brother with TLC, and 1 Apothecary with SB/PF. I have a banner bearer with TLC, but he isn't painted yet and I usually don't run one anyway unless I have spare points to toss around. My sergeant used to be with SB and power sword, but after one game where I had 1 TH/SS kill 3 eldar units by himself, I promoted him to the command squad.

Belial with Claws

Standard with TH+SS

Apoth with LCs

1 x TH+SS

1 x LCs

1 x CML + TH+SS

I probably should swap the Apoth to TH+SS but I've finished the conversion and it's not that big a deal. (Frustratingly for my opponents he seems to do well enough with the 5++ save anyway) :D

I know a lot of people prefer the all TH+SS squad, but I reckon being able to whittle down a few enemies with Belial's 6 attacks on the charge, plus 10 from the regular LCs is much better than bunkering down behind 3++ saves.

I'm not big on th/ss spam, but even I recognise its uses here:

Belial twin claws or th/ss depending on mood :D

1 x cyclone/th/ss,

1 x th/ss [apoth],

1 x th/ss [possible standard bearer if used],

1 x twin claws

1 x sb/cf

Mine is sub-optimal, but I like the look ^_^ ;

Belial w/-TH/SS

TH/SS

TH/SS/Banner(if points allow)

LC/LC

LC/LC

HF/CF/Apothecary

They normally ride in an LRC, if not I swap it to look like;

Belial w/-TH/SS

TH/SS

LC/LC/CML

LC/LC

SB/CF/Apothecary

s

My Deathwing Command Squad is possibly the hardest thing in my army to die, putting these guys in reserve and bringing them on to smash my opponents toughest units helps too. ^_^

Belial

Thunder Hammer, Storm Shield

5 Terminators all Thunder Hammers & Storm Shields

Apothecary

Standard Bearer

Cyclone Missile Launcher

420 points for a nice Deathstar unit that kills most things on the charge and kicks the crap out of Monstrous Creatures.

I would certainly add a couple of non-TH / SS marines, partly for the Initiative jump, partly so overkills from massed attacks like large choppa mobs don't wipe out your unit as you gain yet another class of model to which attacks must be allocated - more classes makes your models more survivable almost as much as that extra pip..

Mine is sub-optimal, but I like the look ^_^ ;

Belial w/-TH/SS

TH/SS

LC/LC

LC/LC

HF/CF/Apothecary

They normally ride in an LRC, if not I swap it to look like;

Belial w/-TH/SS

TH/SS

LC/LC/CML

LC/LC

SB/CF/Apothecary

s

Exactly this, and to add, it super survivable so they are great when used aggressively and up front where the enemy has to devote attention to it.

Ignore it and 25 TH attacks in the charge make you regret, shoot it and other termies go free...

The Apothecary and the Standard have to be in the same squad.

Hehe...good point...I guess since I don't use a standard bearer, I forgot that little detail, hehe. In any case, I think a TDA-IC adds more value to a terminator squad than bels does...so I'd have to put the apo and banna wava in a chappy-led thunderhammer squad. Not saying belial can't be in that squad, too, just that it's more important to give them rerolls...that would be the ultimate deathstar, though, wouldn't it? Bels and a chaplain in a thunderhammer command squad stepping off the ramp of a crusader...

I would certainly add a couple of non-TH / SS marines, partly for the Initiative jump, partly so overkills from massed attacks like large choppa mobs don't wipe out your unit

Sounds like an argument in favor of a heavy flamer ^_^

you gain yet another class of model to which attacks must be allocated - more classes makes your models more survivable almost as much as that extra pip..

I do get the point, but with Belial, the CML, the banna wava, the APO, and the regular TH/SS termies...you have 5 different "classes" amongst six models...that's pretty complex, and gives you a ton of wound allocation potential, no?

Hmmm...I'm liking bels with claws, IC, HF/CF, TH/SS APO, TH/SS SB, claws, and TH/SS in a crusader FTW!

...just don't take this unit toe-to-toe with certain dedicated termie killers, like the infamous stormraven-load of power-weapon-pure death company... That thing threw off enough power weapon attacks to vaporize a thunderhammer squad on the charge!

I would certainly add a couple of non-TH / SS marines, partly for the Initiative jump, partly so overkills from massed attacks like large choppa mobs don't wipe out your unit as you gain yet another class of model to which attacks must be allocated - more classes makes your models more survivable almost as much as that extra pip..

Lately I've been running my Captain with TLC, so he strikes at I5. Also like you mentioned, I've had groups take heavy losses before getting to strike back, so I switched 1 TH/SS to TLC. For extra laughs, I include my Interrogator-Chaplain in TDA to make my command squad a true Deathstar unit. I've taken out groups of Wyches and a full squad of Ork Boyz without taking a single loss using this unit.

you gain yet another class of model to which attacks must be allocated - more classes makes your models more survivable almost as much as that extra pip..

I do get the point, but with Belial, the CML, the banna wava, the APO, and the regular TH/SS termies...you have 5 different "classes" amongst six models...that's pretty complex, and gives you a ton of wound allocation potential, no?ge!

6 actually.

Belial

Sergeant

CML

Banner

Apothecary

TH/SS

so if the sergeant is equipped identically and has the same statline, he's still a different class? Interesting. So with a CML on the back of one of them, you could actually get three pair of claws or three thunderhammers in a complex squad. Nice. That's what I call having your cake and eating it, too! Thee classes of thunderhammers, a pair of claws, and a chainfist (dreadnought/land raider insurance, cheap at the price) FTW!

I had a discussion at another forum about the rules defining whether the serge is a different model for wound allocation purposes or identical to the rest,when equipped the same(ie storm bolters and chainfists or th/ss for everyone).

The census seems to be that since he is given a distinct profile he can be allocated wounds separately regardless of equipment.

Belial with claws, Apoth with thunder Hammer/Storm shield, 2 more claw boys, 2 more hammer lad's, one with a cyclone. Normally fond stuck in an immobile Raider at the back of the board :lol:

Lol I used to toy with him using the Sword and Bolter combo, but found that his shots were normally rubbish, and in close combat he jus didnt kill enough.

I usually run this:

Belial with TLC

4 x TH+SS

1 X TH+SS and CML

Point wise The Apothecary and Standard are not usually worth it. I find that anything that can go through 2+ armor is going to negate the use of FNP from an Apothecary. The Standard usually dies too quickly to matter in close combat so no use wasting points on it.

I run a 2k Deathwing list alot and find that I don't have the left over points to upgrade Belial's squad with a Apothecary or Standard Bearer anyway

My 2K list is:

Belial TLC + 5 x TH+SS with CML (Troop)

6 x TH+SS Squads with CML (5 Troops/ 1 Elite)

3 x Landspeeder with TML and MM

Point wise The Apothecary and Standard are not usually worth it. I find that anything that can go through 2+ armor is going to negate the use of FNP from an Apothecary. The Standard usually dies too quickly to matter in close combat so no use wasting points on it.

I generally agree with the Standard. But disagree with your thoughts on the Apothecary. Giving a model a 50% chance to save an unsaved wound seems like an insanely good idea not to be passed over. I'd say an Apoth is points very well spent and always factor him into any DW list.

Cheers

I

Agreed, and people who put the Apothecary upgrade on TH/SS DW are tempting themselves to make AP1-2 saves on the one guy who can help against other attacks.

.... might not be an issue if all are so armed :HQ:

Archived