Trials of an average painter

canus wolfrum

I can see what you are trying to acheive. There are highlights that are very good, the face for instance. However the paint is really thick. If you thinned your paints with either water, or i use glaze medium to get many layers and work.

Overall it is well painted all you need to do is refine your style.

Keep painting!

What MoF said.

Thin your paints.

VERY nicely done, for "Average", now you just need to bring it up a notch. Depending on the size brush you are using for your detail work, go finer.

Look for a 20/0 or 30/0 brush, use VERY thin paints, and take your time. You'll see an immediate difference.

Good work! :lol:

I actually really like the way you paint, it might not be intentional but it has a really nice cell-shaded effect to it!

My first suggestion would be to experiment with the citadel washes range.

I'd advise buying Badab black and giving that a go, a little shading would make a lot of difference.

Great start though fella!

Thanks for all the comments guys. My painting has come on leaps and bounds recently. wouldn't dream of showing you some of my older stuff...

As to the washes comment, I do use the washes a lot.

I certainly appreciate the thinnings tips, thats one I'll take on board in the future.

Now for my Wolf Guard in Power Armour - I expect the same sort of comments TBH :lol:

I'm also not happy about the eyes on this one although I rate it slightly higher than my canis. I tried to paint it following the eavy metal guide, how succesful I have been I leave up to you guys.

SAM_0707.JPG

SAM_0708.JPG

SAM_0711.JPG

This is a pretty good average mate (I really like the wolfs face). As the others have said, thin your paint, the blue in particular would benefit. (also, finer brushes for accuracy would help)

What WingsOfTheFalcon said about the washes, yes, yes, yes. Every model I painted before I discovered washes just didn't look finished. These days I don't paint a model without a wash or 3.

Also, have a cookie for having the guts to have a crack at NMM. I've never tried it, so no advice I'm afraid.

Keep taking little steps in the right direction.

Archived