New Idea...maybe

Sons of the Forge

Well topic description says it all im thinking of running the following:

Librarian in Terminator Armour with Storm Sheild and Epistolary upgrade. Then taking Gate of Infinity and Vortex of Doom

I know quite expensive BUT he can now teleport/deep strike 24" and with TDA can still fire off Vortex of Doom which despite the short range Gate of Infinity should get him there. I have not found any advice or articles relating to this build tried searching and before I run off and spend time and money on a model that will dig into my 40K Xmas fund. Im wondering what you guys think of it and how successful it maybe on the tabletop.

So any comments, advice and experience will be very helpful. Though please note I do not own a Landraider or a single unit of terminators.

Thanks in advance for all the help

Dave

Well, you've already hit on the model's biggest issue; you're paying almost 200 points for him. That's a lot to pay for a one-trick pony, even if it is a really good trick.

The other big issue is if your enemy has any psychic defenses; your guy needs to get off both of his powers to really work, and if you're trying to cast through your enemy's Psychic Hood/Runes/Shadow/whatever you won't be able to cast both your powers reliably. Don't forget that if you fail your psychic test with Vortex (which is way too likely if you're up against Tyranids, Eldar, or anyone else who makes you take psychic tests on 3d6) the Vortex hits your Libby and his attached squad.

That said, if it works and you pick your targets right, you could cause lots of damage. For the accompanying unit, I would lean towards Sternguard; you'll want to drop within 12" anyway to use the Vortex, and the Sternguard can add their special ammo goodness and/or whatever special/combi weapons you've given them to the mix.

I wanna stick this librarian in a LotD. Teleporting around a squad who's primary weakness is that its slow. although it would get a bit on the expensive side it would be an fun unit to play. I wonder, RAI is fairly obvious that they shouldn't, but RAW would they get their deepstrike reroll on gate?

Pretty sure they lose it on account of the Librarian not having their re-roll rule.

The problem with that is, if they lose it, they lose their deepstrike rule, and the rule forcing them to deploy via reserves because its all the same rule. Aid unlooked for. So you could deploy them on the board wherever you want, all you have to do is stick a character with them.

Archived