Sword off Sanguinius

BloodTzar

Well, you might know, this psychic power is way too broken, as it doesn't state duration of the power it self. So basically can you cast this T1 (in assault) and use it for the rest of the game?

Today i was talking to one guy, who is very hard core tourney player, and he told me that he is using it this way (meph-razorback BA). I didn't want to use this power for the rest of the game, but he assured me it is completly legal.

What is your experience?

hmm found an online cope of BRB browsing through it the only thing that comes to mind is that you can only use 1 power each plyer turn...so if you want to have the Sword's bonus then you'll need to roll another psyker test at the start of each assault phase to keep it.

As to hardcore tourny player saying that...then he should also not have a problem with you kiting out your models that can take wargear with all the options seeing as grammar lets you do this apparently :rolleyes:

(someone explained it to me that GW is bad with their grammar wording and that models that can take wargear keep all their original wargear and can take all the wargear options available to them)

What it says is that you are allowed to use one power and you need to upgrade to epistholary to use 2. However it doesnt say nothing about duration of any power, nor about the sword. Even more sword has nothing limiting its duration in its entry in BA codex.

It only last one turn, your friend is wrong

The discussion is more about psy powers in general.

Because no where it states how long a psy power works...I know I'm on you with 1 player turn (unless otherwise noted)

As with all GW publications after they invented RAW there is a loop hole because it does not say out straigth that psy powers work 1 player turn, unless otherwise noted. (which should be in the standard rules)

Psychic powers do not have a set duration; it is normally listed in each power's description, if appropriate.

Sanguine Sword lasts for the duration of the Assault Phase.

I agree.

The fact is a die hard tourny player apparently made the statement that it's legal to continue using the power because it states no where stated in RAW when a power stops functioning. (see OP start post)

It just states when you can activate it...thats what I ment with GW screwing themselves over with the invention of RAW.

Everything need to be spelled and written down due to that disastreous ruling of GW.

Before that we used common sense, which it is in this case that it lasts 1 player turn.

For opponents that would try this I'd quote one of my favorite rules debaters on 40konline: " Where does it state that it is so? Just because it doesn't say something doesn't mean you can do it! Give me a page refferal!"

This, my friends, is precisely what the Dreadsock was invented for. I'm sorry, but this is rules-lawyering gone too far. 40k is a permissive rules-set, the rules state what you can do, they don't rule out what you can't. As such, you can only do what is stated in the rules.

Seriously though, just use a Dreadsock. Or, if you've got one, a good old metal Talosock.

This has been discussed in the OR forum, and here too. So I will be closing it for now.

It reeks of blatant abuse, but as BO pointed out, its possible to try and argue it does stay forever.

However, no tournament that wants to be taken seriously will ever allow it - so unless its been house-ruled otherwise don't fall into this trap!

Feel free to look up other posts in the OR regarding this.

But for now...

gallery_26_548_17134.jpg

Archived