Sternguard versus Vanguard

Hostilius

Greetings fellow super humans!

As a new player I currently own only the humble Blood Angels Battleforce but I have my eyes on either of these two units. As my budget is limited I'd prefer to only buy one of the boxes, but it raises the questions: Do you prefer Sternguard og Vanguard Squads? I believe a combination of those two could provide efficient, but if you had to pick one, what would it be? My initial thought is Sternguard as they bring some pretty sophisticated firepower to the party, however taking up a much crowded Elite-slot. Vanguards, as I see them, are Assault Marines on speed, acting like a last-minute savior with their Heroic Intervention ability.

What would you pick if you had to chose?

Sternguard here as they're a lot more versatile than Vanguard and depending on how you equip them cheaper too. A 10 man Sternguard unit for me would have 2 combi melta's and a rhino coming in at 295 points if I am using C:SM or 310 points if C:BA, where as a 10 man Vanguard unit with just jump packs is 320 points (really you always take them with jump packs to make use of Heroic Intervention) and then adding a power fist or power weapon quickly starts to beef their points up. You get to the point where a 10 man Terminator assault squad is cheaper.

A pod of sternguard always does well to support my jumpers. With some combi-meltas you have a unit that can fire effectively on marines, terminators, vehicles and hordes alike. They're pretty handy in a fight, too, especially if they get a priest in range or succeed in their red thirst roll. 9 in a pod with 5 combi-meltas and a priest comes in at 300 exactly. Add in a pod and you've got durable firepower wherever you need it.

Vanguard can also be good, but mainly for heroic intervention or a durable storm-shield unit. In pure combat capability, they're less efficient than assault squads and sanguinary guard. But for tying up dangerous units on demand, there's nothing better.

Vanguard

Firstly, I'm from the previous Codex, so a Veteran Assault squad person

Secondly The only time I used the sternguard they got the rage

But mostly because I find my Elite slots are under a lot more presure than my fast attacks, because one slot is pretty obligatory for the priests and the other elites are more compelling.

• 2 weeks later...

I use Sternguard probably more often than vanguard.

Generally I use both -

6 man unit with a priest and tycho in drop pod (with teleport homer) Usually combi weapon most of these, though it does vary

10 man vanguard with limited upgrades (couple power swords and a single fist is usually it).

The pod drops in behind enemy lines generally closest to something dangerous. Squad get out and weather the fire after dealing some damage of their own.

Usually next turn (thanks to our lovely reserve rerolls for packers) The vanguard land within 6" of the pod and either charge whatever charged the sternguard if that happened, or charge another unit nearby (with sternguard generally moving close enough to give FNP and FC to the vanguard on the way :P )

It's a brutal if somewhat expensive tactic against guard and tau, less effective against horde armies though.

Archived