Landspeeders for tank hunting?

Kaldoth

For running 4 speeders I'd suggest to run the typhoons alone and group the Tornados together. 4 missiles agains a single target is usually overkill so it's better to spread them out to treathen more targets from turn 1. But it's viable to do it the other way around as well.

The same can be said of two MMs at the same target. Furthermore, it becomes harder to manoeuvre Land Speeders in tight quarters which is also an advantage for having the two MM Speeders apart, Typhoons don't tend to have this problem as they hang around in the backfield. But it also depends on your list. In lists where you've got melta in other places but not much long range anti-tank in other places then splitting the Typhoons and combining the MM/HFs makes sense. In my old list though where I came to the same conclusion as spartan249 I had two Rifleman Dreads and a las/plas Razorback to help with long-range anti-tank, while the MM/HF Speeders were my only source of fast melta (two midfield Tactical squads had plasma guns and multi-meltas), so it made more sense for me to split the MM/HF Speeders and let them have more options, while also making my opponent shoot more units at them to take them out.

Well the way the list stands right now, the only other major anti tank unit I'll be fielding will be a unit of devastators, likely LC/ML for their loadout. Running the TML speeders in a pair is the most likely route, which does leave open two more FA slots for possibly splitting the MM/HF speeders into two units. However, I wouldn't be able to give Shrike a packed retinue if that were the case. Suggestions?

-Kal

I have often used the MM/HF speeders, and they don't last the game. Great distractions, cheap, BUT as soon as you think MM your single shot rolls a 1 or 2...

Now have 2 typhoons, and they have been very useful.

Squadroned speeders can often move slow (6 inches), fire everything, and based on placement give cover saves...

HF/MM variants are often best held in reserve to deep strike or cove in from the edge. Just need to make that decision before the game starts.

Typhoons can hide behind armored vehicles for a cover save if terrain is light.

Regardless, speeders work best when used in conjunction as an element of a combined arms approach. If they become the focus of you opponents attention early in the game, they start to become smaller in value.

For running 4 speeders I'd suggest to run the typhoons alone and group the Tornados together. 4 missiles agains a single target is usually overkill so it's better to spread them out to treathen more targets from turn 1. But it's viable to do it the other way around as well.

The same can be said of two MMs at the same target. Furthermore, it becomes harder to manoeuvre Land Speeders in tight quarters which is also an advantage for having the two MM Speeders apart, Typhoons don't tend to have this problem as they hang around in the backfield. But it also depends on your list. In lists where you've got melta in other places but not much long range anti-tank in other places then splitting the Typhoons and combining the MM/HFs makes sense. In my old list though where I came to the same conclusion as spartan249 I had two Rifleman Dreads and a las/plas Razorback to help with long-range anti-tank, while the MM/HF Speeders were my only source of fast melta (two midfield Tactical squads had plasma guns and multi-meltas), so it made more sense for me to split the MM/HF Speeders and let them have more options, while also making my opponent shoot more units at them to take them out.

True, pretty much the same arguments can be used for doing it both ways. In the end it all depends on the list, but to me the ability to threaten two soft targets during the first turns is more important (again given the fact that in my list I don't have as much ranged anti-tank).

• 3 weeks later...
are you using C:SM for this army? (i presume so given your using shrike)

becuase packless assault marines are definately still fast attack choices, tactical marines and scouts are the only troops choices, bikes can be made troops with a biker captain but thats the lot.

edit: ninja'd by picard Valerius

I too think its a shame command squads cant have jump packs, EmWard really missed that one.

i like vanguard but only on foot, they are 25 points already (which is expensive) but +10pts per pack and then all PWs, makes them crazy expensive.

personally id run ten assault marrines dual flamer and fist/hammer for about 250pts.. cant go wrong with that little lot (if you want to splurge a chaplain could be a nice addition

edit 2: shrike grants fleet, koryvadae makes assault marines troops, but hes an IA character and as such not allowed in any 'formal' games.

what i fidn weird is that Korvy is the tenth co captain.. aka master of recruits, yet makes assault marines count as troops....

anyone else puzzled, bemused and otherwise confused by that?

Vanguard are 20 points each on foot. :)

Personally, I prefer the MM/Typhoon. 100pts is not excessively expensive to me and I can Deep Strike and still have very good odds of taking out that one tank I most need gone. If I Deep Strike well, I get the MM 8+2d6AP, and if my Deep Strike goes awry I have 2X 8+d6AP shots to have a good chance of Kracking open armor. Then, if it survives the initial return salvo, I can jet it around the board looking for other good opportunities secure in the knowledge that 48" will cover most of the board no matter where I happen to be when the shot presents itself. Occasionally I've even siezed a 3X 8+d6 salvo on some hapless Tread.

LS are always incluided in my lists.

Lately, I use a 2LS MM+HF squadron and 1 LS HB+TML.

The LS MM+HF effect in the game tends to be more volatile, sometimes they are crucial (mainly by the FP1) but often they do nothing.

By the contrary, HB+TML LS has never been really relevant in any game, but its impact on the game does not vary much. It´s more survivable and, as a consecuence, more reliable investment, but it can`t be your AT main unit. Finally, we should not forget the fact that TML can be used as a deffensive weapon and, in that case, you can move 30cm and shoot both weapons.

Archived