Three Vindicators

Olgerth Istaarn

I want to own Vindicators for the same reason I want to own a Stormraven, a Dreadknight and a Baneblade: they look cool. Besides the cool factor however, I want them to see a few battles, so to that end I tooled out a list with three of them occupying the Heavy Support Slot.

Now in other games I've seen one or a pair fielded, and they get popped more often than not... or defanged, with the first Weapon Destroyed result. Still, a trio of AV13 and S10 cannons is nothing to sneeze at... does anyone have experience running three Vindicators together?

3 Vindicators is a fearsome defense to have. It definitely gives opponents pause when they're considering entering your control zone. If you're going to run triple vindicators, you're going to need the ability to open the opponent's boxes and get his juicy tidbits out into the open so you can open up with your triple knockout blow. To that end, bring the heat with lascannons, missile launchers, and multi-meltas, and if possible, keep that counter-charge handy to run in and finish off what's left.

Where 3 Vindicators don't do as well in is in the offense. As you noted, Vindicators with flanks exposed and no cover become quick prey to glances and pens from flank attacks and quickly lose effectiveness. Using them in an offensive fashion will require you to run a solid wall of armor to cover them and create opportunities to fire. Against defensive opponents, you'll find that the Vindicator's inability to ignore cover will reduce the effectiveness of the weapon system tremendously, as bolstered ruins, stealth, and going to ground will be much more common and will reduce casualties from Demolisher Cannon fire to nearly nothing.

I have a 1,500pt 1kson list that runs 3 vindicators and Rubrics... It is a risk... and it isn't meant to be competitive as I was just building a 1kson list... However I have a 24 inch anti-MEQ zone... Each game you need to think about how you use them. They are a lot tougher if the enemy will come to you and you can sit in cover and get a save... not always possible.

I used to run two Vindicators (does that count? :P), but dropped to using one for a bullet magnet. Reason being was that I ran my force as mainly being midfield, which was where the Vindicators were aiming their cannons! So after a few close shaves and a couple of unlucky shots I dropped that second Vindicator and my army fits together a lot better now.

That's not to say that two or three Vindicators aren't good. If you actually want your Vindicators to shoot stuff and not act as a bullet magnet it's the best thing to do, as if one gets taken out or loses its weapon you've got one or two more. But what I'm saying is that you may want to include quite a few long-range units in your army, first of all for popping transports, and second to prevent too many "danger close" shots.

Like DarkGuard I've used a couple quite a few times and though they have yet to do a huge amount of damage they always impact the game. If you know what you're going to get from them (some nasty shooting and a lot of bullet magnetism usually) they can do well for you in an appropriate list.

I wouldn't take 3 though as the other HS slot is useful for other supporting units. A Whirlwind works well with them in my experiences.

Most of all I like taking them because I think they're cool, and I can't think of a better reason than that :tu:

I want to own Vindicators for the same reason I want to own a Stormraven, a Dreadknight and a Baneblade: they look cool. Besides the cool factor however, I want them to see a few battles, so to that end I tooled out a list with three of them occupying the Heavy Support Slot.

Now in other games I've seen one or a pair fielded, and they get popped more often than not... or defanged, with the first Weapon Destroyed result. Still, a trio of AV13 and S10 cannons is nothing to sneeze at... does anyone have experience running three Vindicators together?

I don't know but from what I hear Vindicators are decent in a gunline list when placed in reserve. With a gunline list most enemy armies will try to get to you, that means by the time the Vindicator appears, the enemy will have moved in range and so the beast gets to fire at least once. The caveat here is that I don't think reserving will work well with 3 Vindicators becaiuse you need the other HS slots for your gunline.

Alex

Good pairings with trip-Vindis would be rifleman dreads and Typhoon speeders. Use the multiple-shot, mid-strength weaponry to open the APCs, then cut loose with the Vindis to blast the troops that were inside them. The speeders aren't strictly "gunline" since they have so much mobility, but they still mesh into a gunline list (like the riflemen) without chewing up more Heavy slots or putting your own troops too far forward and in the line of fire.

Archived