need some death company math hammer for this unit

MomentoMori

I have this sqaud of death company and I'm nut really sure how killy it is.

550points

11 models total

10x bolters, 2x power fists, all with jump packs. Plus lemartes

Can this unit take out a TH/SH Terminator squad or 5x pallie or a basic wolfstar unit on the charge after rapid fire goodness?

Don't care bout if I should run my DC with or with out jp, pistols, Pw.

Just want to know how my squad would fair against other deathstar type units.

Also with lemartes with and without a wound.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH with any insight on how the fights would go. I'm planning on this squad to be in every BA list I make

So gonna build around it.

Only change I'm willing to make is adding more bodies to the squad. That's why I have my curiosity of their performance against other strong units.

This better be worth it. I'm waiting for someone to beat me to it.

Just an FYI, I use dice math hammer, not %. In case of not even numbers, I round. (using 16% a die facing)

Assumtion: Enemy. WS4. T4. I4. Sv 2+(5+). You charging

11 DC

21 bolter shots

3(charging) attacks=(24 normal attacks,6 power fists, *4 lemartes)

*guns

21*(2/3)=13.8 or hits.

14 * (1/2)= 7 wounds

7*(1/6)=1.12 or 1 unsaved wound

1 dead termnators

*Melee.

24*(2/3)=15.84 or 16. 8 misses*(2/3)=5.28 or 5 for reroll. 21 hits.

21*(2/3)=13.86 or 14. 7 misses*(2/3)=4.62 or 5 for reroll. 19 wounds.

19*(1/6)=3.04 or 3 unsaved wounds

3 dead terminators

Lemartes

4*(2/3)=2.64 or 3. 1 miss*(2/3)=.66 or 1 for reroll. 4 hits.

4*2/3=same same same. 4 wounds(just from experience, rarely does lemartes do 4 wounds. My dice don't like me though)

4*(2/3)(5+invuln)=2.64 or 3 unsaved wounds

3 dead terminators.

7 dead terminators before they swing at you.

Power fists

6*(2/3)=4. 2 rerolls*(2/3)=1.32 or 1. 5 hits.

5*(5/6)=4ish. 1 reroll*(5/6)=.82 or 1. 5 wounds.

5*(2/3)=3.3 or 3. 3 unsaved wounds

3 dead terminators

At the end of combat, you should have killed 10 terminators, at a heavy cost.

And if 40k used a d10 system, I would happily use normal math hammer. But since we use d6's, it makes me feel better to use my version. This is how I do math hammer. Not the best method to some, but I don't stress about having the most statistically deadly army, unless Ard Boyz rolls around.

21 bolter shots

*guns

21*(2/3)=13.8 or hits.

14 * (1/2)= 7 wounds

1 dead termnators

That can be translated from the math language as: "throw your bolters in the trash and take bolt pistols for more attacks" :teehee:

21 bolter shots

*guns

21*(2/3)=13.8 or hits.

14 * (1/2)= 7 wounds

1 dead termnators

That can be translated from the math language as: "throw your bolters in the trash and take bolt pistols for more attacks" :teehee:

The only model that requires a bolter is the powerfist guy.

21 bolter shots

*guns

21*(2/3)=13.8 or hits.

14 * (1/2)= 7 wounds

1 dead termnators

That can be translated from the math language as: "throw your bolters in the trash and take bolt pistols for more attacks" :blink:

To some 1 dead terminator before you assault is better than 2 dead terminators and 1 friendly casualty. And killing 10 terminators and losing say 4 models is almost always better than killing 12 terminators and losing 6.

So no, don't throw them away.

21 bolter shots

*guns

21*(2/3)=13.8 or hits.

14 * (1/2)= 7 wounds

1 dead termnators

That can be translated from the math language as: "throw your bolters in the trash and take bolt pistols for more attacks" :)

To some 1 dead terminator before you assault is better than 2 dead terminators and 1 friendly casualty. And killing 10 terminators and losing say 4 models is almost always better than killing 12 terminators and losing 6.

So no, don't throw them away.

Statistics are fine, but IMHO you usually won't see a 10-man Termie squad, more like 5 + a Libby, Chaplain or Priest of some variant. So, Lemmy and 10 bolter DC would have their hands full trying to wipe that unit off the field in 1 turn. There are too many other variable numbers that weren't represented in the math-hammer above, but it's a good start to your planning. Deathstars shouldn't be aimed at the enemy's deathstar, instead they should wreak havoc against as many soft targets as possible first, then the climactic showdown in the later turns. At least that's what I try to do.

I have never seen 12 termies in one squad and usually there are just 5 of them. And while pistols give you only 33% more attacks at your charge (4 instead of 3), at enemies one it will be 50% increase (3 instead of 2) that really makes a difference.

By the way I never got any decent results from bolters (storm bolters, hurrikane bolters, etc) - they do so little damage that it is just negligible.

I have never seen 12 termies in one squad and usually there are just 5 of them. And while pistols give you only 33% more attacks at your charge (4 instead of 3), at enemies one it will be 50% increase (3 instead of 2) that really makes a difference.

By the way I never got any decent results from bolters (storm bolters, hurrikane bolters, etc) - they do so little damage that it is just negligible.

1st point bolded: Base squad of 5 Termies; add up to 5 more, making 10; then attach multiple TDA ICs ie Libby, Chaplain/Reclusiarch, SP or Captain.

2nd point underlined: One kill by shooting is 1 or more attack-backs less in combat! Also, situation depending, you're most likely going to face superior TDA equipped foes if the enemy commander is smart - as you should do the same - so have Faith in the Emperor and force as many dice rolls as possible! Are there better ways to deal with TDA? Certainly, but the imperium is not likely to hand us easily defeated foes so we must believe in our bolters chainswords and geneseed! :wub:

This whole thing is flawed though as you are not considering initiative.

Grey Knights with Halberds will mess this DC squad up.

The power fists will also not be that valuable against standard (power fist wielding terminators) as they will hit you back as you finish them off with your own power fists.

I don't know what you are up against with points, but you might want to consider dumping the jump packs and Lemartes. Take a vanilla reclusiarch, add 3 power weapons, and a land raider redeemer. You'll still lose to GK with Halberds, but you will get the Land Raider's shooting attacks (assault cannon + Multi Melta, and potentially some s6 flame). Drive up, jump out, shoot, charge.

In my many years of using Death Company (4), Death Company are NOT a unit you slam into another person's death star in 5th edition. Back in the olden PDF days, when free rending, you could go nuts slamming Lemartes and Co into everything and everybody. They are a sledge hammer. A fast moving sledge hammer that you slam into someone's knee caps. I have never trusted rage now that DC are 5 points more a model (and unstearable) so they always get put into a stormraven death ball or even the LandraiderX. Death Company do great with another dreadnought, preferable with blood talons.

And never say never, AstraWald. My local Salamanders player runs an 11 man wall of shooty termies. And given Grey Knights, it isn't that far out not to see alot of termies in one place.

Nothing is wrong with having all your eggs in one basket. Just don't expect great results facing 21 missiles or the Razorspam lists/guard parking lots. It all depends who you play against :tu:

^^^^^ Agree with Soups post above.

One of the great GW mysteries. Release a great Death Company kit, but then make them worse than the PDF codex, and cost more points.

Shouldn't really look at it like that. If you want to be really bummed, go take a look at 3rd edition blood angels. Free power weapons/power fists.

Frankly, I think the change to not take death company and have the other units be horrifyingly expensive is a good thing. I enjoy the flexibility. Just a little sad that jump pack DC are...an interesting...choice to make.

To be realistic with raging jump pack DC I have to be genuinely worried about any opponents deathstar units. That's why I requested the math hammer.

The army is for fun but I do plan on entering local tournaments with it from time to time mainly because I don't know any of the local Baltimore player base to schedual regular games.

I am very lucky though. I own 3 mostly painted 2500 plus point armys.

3k sisters of battle and deathguard. 2500 in fleash tearers. Thus jump packs DC leading the charge with 3 stormravens full of dreads and marines. As "interesting" as the choice is. Its one I've always wanted to do.

Archived