"Brazen Ravens" Apothecary

Pig Of Sparta

Hi all, just thought I'd stop by and trow up some pictures on a quick project I've been working on. The Warlord Titan is currently on hold until I figure out how to arm him. But while I was going through my various bits boxes and after purchasing a couple of new paints I had a few ideas for something and this is what I've got so far:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/BR2-1.jpghttp://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/BR1-1.jpghttp://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/BR4.jpghttp://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/BR3.jpg

There's still quite a few bits and pieces left to highlight up and finish and his head has just been basecoated and will be added shortly. The bronze colour of the armour has been somewhat bleached in the photos I'm afraid but as it's colder and darker than a night on Fenris in the Highlands just now, I had to take them indoors with artificial light. In real life the bronze is a much richer colour. It will also be recieving a final subtle edge highlight with Mithril Silver once everything else is finished up to add some real depth to it.

I'm hoping to have this wrapped up in the next few days or so because something considerably larger should be hitting my painting table shortly....

cheers

James

love the painting skills but him missing his head just made me think of that apothecary sprinting forward to save one of his battlebrothers only to get his head blasted of in a spray of blood by a powerfull sniper rifle. would be a nice diorama though!

Thanks for the comments guys;

@ alex567: thanks :) it's been a while since I painted some PA properly but it feels good to be back.

@ hendrik: that would indeed make a sweet diorama. You've kinda got the wheels in my head turning on that now :P although I've got a couple of other projects lined up after this one.... Still, you could always run with it, it's your idea :).

@ Loken86: ask and ye shall recieve :) the recipie for the bronze is as follows:

Over a chaos black undercoat, apply a basecoat with a 1:3 mix of Tin Bitz and Dwarf Bronze. Then apply pure Dwarf Bronze to all but the recessed areas. Next, highlight with a 1:2 mix of Dwarf Bronze and Mithril Silver before washing with Devlan Mud. Then was the deepest recesses with Badab Black. Finally and this is the bit I haven't done on this mini yet) apply a fine highlight of pure Mithril Silver to the raised and prominant edges.

@ Olisredan: you are correct sir, one internet cookie is winging it's way to you :) it is indeed Korvydae that I've based this mini on. I loved the pose of the torso when I bought him late last year but wasn't so keen on the arms so he lay untouched until the other day when things just suddenly clicked. His head is visible in the photo below....

@ Dorns_fist: Thanks Rob. On the whole I actually lack the determinined concentration required to complete armies so I tend to paint 'standalone' mini's. That said, this colour scheme was actually fairly easy to do so who knows, I may paint more :ph34r:. As for the name of the chapter, it just sort of came from Korvydae's abundance of beautiful detailing and the colour of the armour. If I do paint more marines like this then I'll definately be sticking with the raven 'flavouring' :D

As mentioned above, here's a very slight update:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/BR5-1.jpg

More will follow soon,

Cheers

James

I love the use of the Forgeworld Raven Guard captain, and the white is nice and clean.

Only complaint I have is that the red is flat compared to the other colors; especially the red rope around his necklace.

Thanks Alpha PTP.... Yeah, I know what you mean about the red looking flat in comparison to the other colours. I actually did some blending work on his pauldrons because of the large area although the glare in the photos is hiding that somewhat. I'm not entirely happy with the braid so I'm planning on hitting it with another highlight of Blood Red, probably followed by another fine highlight of Kommando Khaki followed by a glaze to bring it up a bit more. I might give the leather 'loincloth' a similar treatment.

The white I'm pretty proud of though as it's an evolution of a technique I started using a few years ago but it's been made much easier by foundation paints and washes. Trying this evolution out was actually one of the driving forces behind painting this mini. It's Astronomican Grey, washed with Asurmen Blue, then layered back up with Astronomican Grey and highlighted with Skull White. The foundation replaces my use of Space Wolves Grey which took a couple of layers to get smooth and the wash replaces my use of Shadow Grey which since it was just watered down paint never flowed quite right to shade exactly how I wanted. Both techniques create what I think is a nice 'realistic' off white colour with dramatic highlights. It's definately something I plan to continue to use and refine due to the ease of replicating it :lol:.

Cheers

James

Ah I see, well I'm telling you to stick with this army cause this will look striking on the table top lol, with that pose and now that head added, he looks like he ain't just there to takeblood but to take names, where is that head from any ways?

:lol: well I'm making no promises but I am definately thinking about painting up more marines in the Brazen Ravens colours now. If I do I'll be grabbing a Raven Guard decal sheet from FW so I can add some chapter symbols to them.

@ Dorn's_fist: The head is from the PA Grey Knights kit, I picked up a few off of a bits site because I really like the look of Grey Knights bare heads, I think they are slightly better scaled (is that a real word or did I just make it up?) than other Space Marine heads and look more like a warrior of the Emperor's finest should.

@ Loken86: No problem mate :) I actually shamelessly plundered it from an old issue of White Dwarf but I'm more than happy to share it. Believe it or not the head only has 3 layers of paint on it so far, no highlights or anything... Just a basecoat of Tallarn Flesh, a wash of Ogryn Flesh and another slightly blended layer of Tallarn Flesh. I'm glad to hear he's looking good though, I never used to paint bare headed marines because I struggled to achieve realistic looking flesh tones, but I've worked really hard over the last few years to try and get better at them, so it's nice to hear that my efforts are bearing fruit :). I have to say though my painting skills have mostly improved because of the feedback and advice that I get from the frater of the B&C. My own advice for improving would be to not be afriad to try something you want to try and practice makes perfect, as with many things, generally speaking the more you do something the easier it gets and the more you improve.

I've done a little more work on this guy tonight, but nothing worth posting photos for, just finishing of details mainly but I'll probably get some pics up towards the end of the weekend as it's my work's night out tomorrow night and my daughter's birthday party on sunday.

cheers

James

PoS grat to see some more of your cracking work mate!!! Love this mini, very nicely painted! Great use of the RG dude, like how he has come out. Is this a DIY chapter of yours? Not heard of the Brazen Ravens before. Like the pose you got there. Have to say the head is exceptionally well done. Will look forward to the updates. Hope all is well!

hey guys, sorry for the lateness of the update....

done a little more work on this guy:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/BR7-1.jpghttp://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/BR6-1.jpg

just need to finish up his spotlight and lenses, the icon on his bolter and add some more detail to his head.

@ lokkerex: thanks mate :).

@ Talthus: If you have, that'd be cool. So we're adhering to board rules, can you PM me if you find them so we can work something out?

@ hendrik: ha ha... thanks ;).

@ Dorn's Padawan: Glad to see you too, it's been a while :) Yeah, the name Brazen Ravens came from the detail on the mini and the colours I chose to paint it in. It just seemed to fit, so they're totally DIY although they don't have any fluff as yet.

cheers

James

Brazen Ravens sounds exactly like something GW would come up with for a chapter, so in that sense, it is a Good ThingTM!

Loving the model too, though since you've now used the Korvidae (sp?) model for a lowly Apothecary, what're you going to use for a Captain?!

Archived