artificer armour and storm shields?

hobointherain

before I break out the superglue I was wondering wether or not I should fork out the extra points for a storm shield on my relic blade wielding captain? I'm playing 1500 points, generally against orks and marines. My army's pretty shooty and razorspam orientated. Also, should I upgrade to artificer armour too?

Obviously i can see the benefit of having a lot more survivbility, but with the regular power armour save with the iron halo, do I really need much more?

cheers

before I break out the superglue I was wondering wether or not I should fork out the extra points for a storm shield on my relic blade wielding captain? I'm playing 1500 points, generally against orks and marines. My army's pretty shooty and razorspam orientated. Also, should I upgrade to artificer armour too?

Obviously i can see the benefit of having a lot more survivbility, but with the regular power armour save with the iron halo, do I really need much more?

cheers

Assuming you have the points a storm shield isn't a bad idea... A relic blade gets no bonus from other CCWs and storm shields stop other CCWs getting bonuses so they go together really well... If your captain ends up fighting enemy characters who often ignore armour or having powerfists and the like in squads going after him then the points investment is worth it to keep him alive and slaying.

Artificer armour is a bit tougher... a 2+ save is better than a 3+ but it costs a bit and if you think you will be using the storm shield a lot then it is of little benefit. This is a if you have pts to burn choice... No one likes the relic blade and storm shield wielding biker captains in artificer armour :D That would be a lot of points!

My Chapter Master always takes to battle a relic blade and storm shield, mostly digi weapons, but curiously hardly ever artificer armour. But there is a method to the madness here. My Chapter Master rides with an Honour Guard squad, plenty of artificer armour now, but no storm shield. So with the storm shield my Chapter Master can soak up low AP and power weapon hits, preserving the Honour Guard.

Personally, from a model standpoint I would stick the storm shield on if you reckon you will get a lot of use out of it. Then only add artificer armour on if you have points left over, as it is one of those upgrades, like digi weapons, that you really can't model and so don't really need to.

thanks guys, probably gonna stick with the relic blade and storm shield and leave the artificer armour for now,

I'm planning on sticking my captain in a razorback with a squad of sternguard, so hopefully they can soften up an enemy HQ for the captain to finish off, or if they get assaulted the captain can offer a bit of extra beef in combat

Artificer armor is for Captains and Chapter Masters who are intended to wae through the unwashed masses. Stormshields are for those who play the role of kingslayer.

The 2+ armor save allows your character to take a ton of non-powered hits and keep ticking. He can literally carve his way through entire units that don't have power weapons, so long as Murphy doesn't rear his head ;).

The 3++ save from the shield gives him a measure of protection against massed power weapons or targeted powerfists. The 66% save rate is nice against those few attacks that will cause Instant Death, but once one gets through, that's all she wrote.

Personally, I skip the storm shield on my Bike Captain and go for artificer armor instead. I use his mobility to dictate when and where he ends up in melee. Properly maneuvered, you can tie up the powerfist in a unit with a non-leader model, leaving your HQ free to chop up everything else.

My Captain has artifciar, relic, and storm shield. I gave him those because I wanted the image of my captains glory and honour upheld when he crashes down his foes upon flamed wings with his squad of Assault marines. As stated above, I use mine for specific reasons, wade through enemies and bring forth the righteous fury of the Emperor down smiting my enemies.

He has come out of a 33 Ork close combat assault with 1 wound left with the +2 and +3 saves many a times. He has faced half armies and come out on top. Of course sometimes the luck of the draw gets you. He stood toe to toe against Khan for 3 rounds before Khan and a squad took him. So I can say for my experiance he is fluffy and fun to play with the setup.

My captains are expendable, and not used as kingslayers. They're for mowing down lesser beings, not carnifex. I generally don't invest in upgrading their invuln to 4+ for that reason, but usually invest in artificer armor.

Bike + Artificer Armor means that against a normal space Marine, each attack they throw at him hits 1/2, wounds 1/3, failed save 5/6 --- less than one in 6 attacks is meaningful, and assuming you don't charge thunderhammers and powerfist, you're not gaining a whole lot of protection with the shield.

The role your captain plays should determine equipment, and for points reasons you want to avoid perparing for everything.

Archived