Mephiston

BloodTzar

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i46/adrakguildwars/mefist.jpg

I love the greaves on the model, would like to know how those came about. The force sword looks really good as well. I have to say though, the face looks really rough, at least from this angle. Also, the plasma pistol is kinda bland by comparison, but that might be intentional.

I am kinda curious why Mephiston is doing the Captain Morgan pose though.

The Mephiston miniature sculpted by Jes is vastly underrated. To see people say it is 'crap' is appalling.

I agree, but I also think it's a pretty dated sculpt. He, Dante, Tycho, and Corbulo are all 2nd edition figs. I'm bored with using them so converted new ones. They may be old, but they certainly aren't "crap".

The Mephiston miniature sculpted by Jes is vastly underrated. To see people say it is 'crap' is appalling.

I agree, but I also think it's a pretty dated sculpt. He, Dante, Tycho, and Corbulo are all 2nd edition figs. I'm bored with using them so converted new ones. They may be old, but they certainly aren't "crap".

Exactly. The old Blood Angels models have their very own flavour, and they're still under the top character-sculpts of any Space Marine Chapter. However, with sculpts like Lemartes and Astorath, even Dante, Tycho and Mephiston look very outdated, especially by size comparison. Many people want variety, more details, momentum(although Dante is far from being static) and up-to-date versions of their favourite characters. Also, the new technologies used in the process of creating such models have vastly improved over the last decades, and many of us would like to have their favourite marine with new molds, or in case of DIY, new parts from plastic sprues or even self-sculpted figures.

I am kinda curious why Mephiston is doing the Captain Morgan pose though.

Quick, give him a barrel! :)

Snorri

The only issue with Tycho, Mephiston and Corbulo is the limitations of 3 dimensional planes for casting back in the day. Standing up right with weapons held out either side was pretty much al you got. See Njal, Ragnar and Ulrik.

Sure size may be an issue, but anyone who says there is more detail on Astorath, Sanguinor and Lemartes than Meph, Tycho, Corbulo and Dante is kidding themselves.

It would be nice for them to be a *bit* bigger as the current plastic marines have much stockier limbs than older metal sculpts. But that's not an issue with Meph under his robes or Dante in his sculpted plate.

I have seen some awesome minis done before on this forum using green stuff moulds of Mephiston's chest plate and psychic hood as a basis to get the details accurate, then finished off with other parts.

With Finecast nowadays and a dremmel tool you could very feasibly just cut Mephiston down into parts and 're-assemble' him into a more dynamic pose.

I agree with Samagol. You can definitely make a cool Mephiston mini out of the existing sculpt. Here are a couple of my favorites:

Meph1.jpg

Meph2.jpg

I'll post a link to mine as soon as I get a picture of it. Painting wise it isn't close to the above 2 miniatures, but I'm happy with it.

Wow, what a difference just a couple arm-swaps and repositioning the head makes (along with a nice paint-job -- those are both better done than the GW 'Eavy Metal jobs). Hitherto I had no interest in including Mephiston in my collection, but now that I've seen those, I am inspired! Now that Mephiston is Finecast, such a conversion would not be too hard. I don't even want to think about what doing that with a metal version would be like!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived