Storm Raven

Atlantic

I'm on the fence concerning the Storm Raven.

While it has amazing transport potential, it bothers me that it cannot be taken as a dedicated transport.

From what I understand, since it is not a dedicated transport, you cannot begin the game with units inside of it, but rather have to waste a turn loading them up.

Am I mistaken in my interpretation of the rules?

The point I was referring to was that Mephiston is not an IC so cannot join another unit and therefore cannot start in any dedicated transport. The Stormraven is the only vehicle in the codex that has a transport capacity and is not a dedicated transport.

But yes, it's also the only vehicle that can carry jump infantry.

How do people overcome the fact that it's much harder to get cover for something so high up? Isn't it an instant target for every missile launcher, lascannon and auto cannon from the first turn. Unless I go and buy/make some terrain high enough to hide it?

Usually by play style. If you're playing a raven type list, you've usually designed it to be able to go fully into reserve if you get second turn, or if you get first turn, to boost up and hope for the best!!

(See my most recent batreps for how that works out!!)

There are some simpler things you can do to reduce the model's profile as well, such as mounting the top turret elsewhere (like the undercarriage or splitting the guns to the wings.)

Really, you won't ever get cover with a Stormraven from terrain, but since you can get 4+ on the first turn of your rush and 5+ from a Librarian (either as an HQ or a Furioso), it's less of a problem than it could be. Usually, the plan with a Stormraven is to turbo turn 1, move 12" and drop cargo turn 2, and stare in bewilderment if the unit is still alive turn 3 and on.

I luv my Storm Raven. Played correctly, it almost never gets shot down. I use it to deliver the DC with a dread. By the time those boys hit the field, the SR is usually ignored. Keep it moving flat out and fire that one gun, or put it at max range and unleash the blood strike.

It is probably the best thing in the Blood angels armory. Beats the LR hands down. Good firepower, great speed and good surviability, it give the BA player options, something every commander needs.

How do people overcome the fact that it's much harder to get cover for something so high up? Isn't it an instant target for every missile launcher, lascannon and auto cannon from the first turn. Unless I go and buy/make some terrain high enough to hide it?

I don't start mine on the table. I bring it in from reserves and move it flat out to get the cover save and fire with Power of the Machine Spirit. True, it gets blown up a lot, but those are shots that my opponents are using on the Storm Raven while my Las/Plas Razorbacks fire away and get into position. One it drops off the Dreadnought and Death Company, it's all over.

You just have to play some games to figure how to make it work for you. It can do amazing things with a little luck. Generally it's best to start with the Stormraven in reserve as has been stated already. I have lots of tactical articles on using a Stormraven over on my blog (follow the link in my signature if you're interested). We are one of the only two armies that can take one for what that's worth. :D It's actually quite survivable - especially since you don't see lots of lascannons nowadays plus you want to play an army that can present more immediate threats to your opponent and target enemy units that are a threat to your armored bird of prey. I've found that Vanguard veterans have a lot of synergy with a Stormraven as you have a good opportunity to eliminate an enemy heavy weapons team such as Long Fangs or Devastators.

G :)

It's also the only transport that Mephiston can start the game in.

Wait, you mean Mephiston can not begin the game in a Rhino or Razorback if he's by himself?

Its one of the quirks in our army list. Mephiston is not an IC. He can't join a squad. He doesn't have any dedicated Transports, thus no razorbacks or rhinos or landraiders.

It's also the only transport that Mephiston can start the game in.

Wait, you mean Mephiston can not begin the game in a Rhino or Razorback if he's by himself?

Nope. A dedicated transport can only hold the unit dedicated to it (and any attached characters) at the start of the game. So no Mephiston starting in any transport other than a Raven.

Another reason to have stormravens is their pretty good in apocalypse as well just finished a 16,000pt apoc game with some buddies today and it lasted till we ran out of time turn 5 and did some good damage and managed to drop of its assault terminators and furiso dreadnought flawlessly and contested an objective last turn and didn't wither with all the fire thanks to going flat out to get there ;)

Another reason to have stormravens is their pretty good in apocalypse as well just finished a 16,000pt apoc game with some buddies today and it lasted till we ran out of time turn 5 and did some good damage and managed to drop of its assault terminators and furiso dreadnought flawlessly and contested an objective last turn and didn't wither with all the fire thanks to going flat out to get there :P

Yes, I agree. I have played a couple of Apoc games and my Stormraven has performed admirably.

Another reason to have stormravens is their pretty good in apocalypse as well just finished a 16,000pt apoc game with some buddies today and it lasted till we ran out of time turn 5 and did some good damage and managed to drop of its assault terminators and furiso dreadnought flawlessly and contested an objective last turn and didn't wither with all the fire thanks to going flat out to get there :)

Yes, I agree. I have played a couple of Apoc games and my Stormraven has performed admirably.

Yeah it actually survived better than the Thunderhawk that was in the game too they gave up shooting the SR and focused on the Thunderhawk I'm really considering building the Apoc formation with the three ravens :)

Archived