Squad formation/placement to combat Template weapons?

Rayza09

I play against Imperial Guard often and find my squads get blown away by Large Blast Battlecannons. Was wondering how others combat this menace, and got to thinking that if you utilise the 2" between each model (unit coherency), you can minimise the number of models that fall under that Large Blast template.

How do you lay down your squads? whats the most effective way to avoid loosing significant numbers from Large Blast weapons?

I have a friend who is a math whiz and literally did the number crunching. It is a straight line with maximum separation. You never risk more than three models that way, and only if a "hit" or if it deviates directly along the axis of the line. Doesn't matter what direction the line is either.

BUT, it's not practical to do that on the advance.

1) Make sure you've got area terrain or LOS blocking terrain on the table. Don't have battles on the moon. The game is far less interesting if you do and dramatically favors guard gunlines over just about every army.

2) If you're advancing, do so quickly (mechanized) or by deep strike/outflank, otherwise you're going to get thumped by S8 AP3 pie plates.

3) Concentrate on killing things that aren't his Leman Russ with your ranged attacks as you advance. The odds of taking one of them down at range compared to a Chimera are pretty slim. Pick your targets wisely, so when you get there, they've got nothing left to stop you from krak-ing open their heavy tanks.

whats the most effective way to avoid loosing significant numbers from Large Blast weapons?

Put them in a rhino and make sure that the rhino gets cover. Whatever the source of that weaponry, it should not last long. That's what you usually run multiple MM attack bikes or Land Speeders with MM/Hf for. The latter can deep strike but only if there is enough oom on the table. The former are lower models and therefore can be hidden more easily.

If you are close to the enemy, you can hide troops in melee combat.

Alex

I usually just place my models so that they look cool, but after my buddy starting bringing those 5-Plasma Cannon tanks i started being more of an Ork Player.

''Just wait a sec, i need to make sure every one of these 30 boyz is exactly 2' apart.''

When at long range, use a line or circle formation using as much of the 2" as possible. When you get closer (ie. your guns are in range), shift into a line formation but keep your guys closer together (about 1") this will still have minimu casualties off of blast (not so good for flamers though) and will mean that you get effective shooting as well. The line means that almost ANY scatter will carry the shot wide.

I've seen some players (with small squads) for tight ranks so that a scatter will take the templae right off, but that is a risk.

Archived