How to play DA competitively?

Akaiyou

So I built up a Grey Knights army for Draigowing wanted a 2,000 pts list. And i was going to use my spare space marine terminators to flesh out the list with converted GK termies.

However found a good last minute deal and nagged another box of GK termies and 2 dreadknights, so I decided I still wanted to do something with the spare terminators i have

And suddenly "Deathwing" came to mind.

I want to build a competitive Deathwing army list from the Dark Angels codex. But since I know very little about dark angels except that they have terminators as troops, I thought i'd ask you guys to share your knowledge and enlighten a potential new member to the traitor hunting club.

My question is simple...How do you play Dark Angels competitive? What are the key units to use and why?

also would love to know is Deathwing worth it?

what are good example deathwing army list builds between 1,000 to 2,000 pts?

I have 18 spare terminators with options for 2 chainfist, 2 assault cannons, 2 heavy flamers the rest are a bunch of power fist and storm bolter arms.

I also have 20 spare bolter marines and 1 spare terminator chaplain, all of which I could toss into a DA dedicated army if they would fit well.

Have at it fellas...

First of all you'll need to take Belial, who allows termies to count as troops.

I'd follow the basic template of 5 squads of termies, some fully geared for assault (Thunder Hammers+Storm Shields and Lightning Claws, and a Heavy flamer dude with Chainfist) and some geared tactically (Storm Bolters, Powerfists, Cyclone launcher/assault cannon depending on what you're up against) for protecting tactical locations.

Chaplains are a really great boost to assault termy squads

Land raiders are necessary to move the terminators around, but they're magnets for heavy fire, and can easily end up as an expensive waste of points, although they give you some really helpful anti-tank/infantry weaponry.

Bikes are useful for outmanoeuvring the enemy and safely teleporting reserve termies in nasty positions, they can also be kitted for some often needed anti-mech, and land speeders are very cost effective Heavy weapons platforms that make it into most competitive lists.

A dreadnought or two helps pack a bit more of a punch, and are where most people go to for their supplement of heavy weapons.

You'll find a whole plethora of examples of Deathwing army lists and experienced critiques here

At 1000pts I used to run Belial, 3 x DW (2 shooty, one combat, all cyclones and CFs) and 2 x MM typhoons. I didn't compete but played regularly and won so often it got boring. Other armies just couldn't handle the missile spam and 16 terminators.

1500 is a different story, as the balance of the game changes, and other armies can fit in enough kit to really cripple you towards the end of the game. I'm still struggling to find a really strong 1.5k list.

At 2000pts (which I have very limited experience with) it seems that the balance swings back in our favour. I strongly recommend checking out recent threads in the DA army list section by krewl and VAGABOND on success with DW, and also older topics by Tanhausen and RayJ; loads of discussion there.

One thing I suspect you'll find is that, after taking the kit you want, you'll be about 20pts over or under budget, and it is nigh on impossible to shave/lose that extra! Just one of the quirks of our codex; we lack lots of customisable options. Don't worry; you'll get used to it!! Good luck...

Archived