TDA & Melta-Bombs

AngryJohnny

Sad, but true. Just make sure he's part of a squad that has at least one Power Fist/Thunder Hammer in it and you'll have little trouble with vehicles. Failing that, remember that, in an assault you always strike the rear armour of any vehicle that doesn't have a Weapon Skill, so your Captain can still damage most vehicles if you're in a tight spot.

Sad, but true. Just make sure he's part of a squad that has at least one Power Fist/Thunder Hammer in it and you'll have little trouble with vehicles. Failing that, remember that, in an assault you always strike the rear armour of any vehicle that doesn't have a Weapon Skill, so your Captain can still damage most vehicles if you're in a tight spot.

I wouldn't rely on the ability to glance (on a 6) against only the weakest vehicle armour. If he's up against a vehicle, especially a walker, then the captain will need some help.

I wouldn't rely on the ability to glance (on a 6) against only the weakest vehicle armour. If he's up against a vehicle, especially a walker, then the captain will need some help.

Very true, which is why i mentioned it in tight spots only. Most definitely the best option would be to have him accompanied by a unit that includes tank busting kit, but i'm just trying to offer some advice. I used to run a Company Master with Twin Lightning Claws in Power Armour and although i could've given him Meltabombs, i just made sure his Command Squad included a Power Fist instead. Never needed to use the Krak Grenades that the squad come with.

Terminators don't have any grenades at all.

Also, Krak's are str 6, so they glance most on 4's. Frag's are strength 4, but no one would use those to bust armor.

Not sure if it makes it legal, but Army builder let's you buy Melta bombs for special characters, like chaplains, captains, and priests... even those in TDA. But, I usually don't waste the points buying those for units that will either have powerfist or Thunderhammers attached. Or libby with Sanguine Sword.

I think I'll have to disagree.

I know that fluffwise models in Terminator armour don't use grenades of any type, but current codex entry makes it possible.

Characters are given a list of Wargear that they replace for terminator armour, but melta bombs are outside of this list.

I think I'll have to disagree.

I know that fluffwise models in Terminator armour don't use grenades of any type, but current codex entry makes it possible.

Characters are given a list of Wargear that they replace for terminator armour, but melta bombs are outside of this list.

Now I could easily be wrong here but i believe the armoury lists are set up in such a manner that, when you pick Terminator Armour for a character, you're only then able to select wargear for that character if it is in the list that follows the option for Terminator Armour. Melta Bombs and equipment such as pistols are all available before the option for Terminator armour, are they not?

Melta bombs are listed before Termy armour, but:

- You take Melta Bombs

- You Replace PA, boltgun, frags and kraks for Terminator Armour

It says nowhere that You loose Melta Bombs While doing so ;)

I see your point. This must be a Rules As Written vs. Rules As Intended moment :huh:

I personally wouldn't do it but as you say, nowhere does it say that you can't.

It says nowhere that You loose Melta Bombs While doing so ;)

I see your point. This must be a Rules As Written vs. Rules As Intended moment B)

I personally wouldn't do it but as you say, nowhere does it say that you can't.

RAI went out the window with the GK codex when Mat Ward let models in TDA use grenades (Techmarine?)

Terminators in the Daemonhunter codex were allowed to use grenades as well. The only "precedent" that Terminators couldn't was the fact that GW rarely, if ever, gave Terminators grenades as part of their basic equipment. It has never been stated or implied that they were unable to use them.

Terminators in the Daemonhunter codex were allowed to use grenades as well. The only "precedent" that Terminators couldn't was the fact that GW rarely, if ever, gave Terminators grenades as part of their basic equipment. It has never been stated or implied that they were unable to use them.

Sorry AP: The precedent lies in 3rd ed marine codexes of all flavours - Models in TDA were only allowed to purchase items from the armoury marked with an asterisk. Grenades, pistols etc were not asterisked, so expressly forbidden for use by those in TDA ;)

Archived