"Counts As" Contemptor Mortis Dreadnought?

Haecon

I used to play Dark Angels and I have some Mortis Dreadnought bits I "cannot" use per-sey...

I am also, not a fan of the FW Contemptor model. Personal opinion.

What would you say if someone fielded this as a Contemptor Motis Dreadnought?

gallery_33_6471_8866.jpg

It is just held together by gravity at the moment. Thoughts?

I like it. Gives the traditional Dreadnought feel but you can clearly see it's armed with TL Autocannons and Cyclone Missile Launcher, and the base size is the same so I can't really see someone saying you couldn't run it as a Contemptor.

You might want to spruce up the front however as they are supposed to be very valuable and special dreadnoughts, something akin to comparing the appearance of a dreadnought to a Venerable dreadnought you know? Give it a little something extra to make it stand out better and I'd throw down with your 'contemptor'.

I personally wouldn't be bothered however I think a lot of people would have an issue with the huge size difference. The contemptors a lot bigger and by using a smaller model isn't a fair wysiwyg representation. You gain a lot of advantages, mainly making your opponant try a lot harder to hit what is already a pretty hard unit. You have a massive unfair advantage over anything shooting at you.

So in answer to your question, unless you are playing a mate in very casual game then yes, I think most people wouldn't be happy playing it.

Also, it can be argued that in recent times wysiwyg/counts as is being badly abused. People save up to buy "special" models such as contemptors. I know everyones hobby is different and each to their own, however, spare a thought for the people who save up for / convert etc their contemptor, then think about how they may react when you roll up with you normal "counts as" dread. I feel that people are already quite often reluctant to play people who have fw models ( for whatever ridiculous reason) and now your talking about using those rules without even buying the model. It may not go down that well in some circles.

It always depends on the people you're playing with. A thousand people on teh interwebz can tell you that it's fair to use your Dread as a Contemptor, yet if you're gaming buddy has an issue with it, you might want to leave it out of your games because his voice is the one that counts.

I'd be leery with the 'height' argument. It's all well and good that the thing is too short for that Longfang squad to lascannon to death, but it also means that it can't fire its autocannons at said Longfangs. The armor argument is also debatable. The only thing I'd personally have a problem with is the weaponry. Those are twin-linked heavy bolters, not autocannons, which FW does make for 'regular' dreadnoughts.

Those are heavy bolters yes and I woudn't use them as Autocannons..

The Contemptor Mortis in FW IA Apoc 2nd Ed can sport twin Heavy Bolters, Multi-Meltas, Linked Autocannons, Plasma Cannons, Assault Cannons or Linked Lascannons.

All can have a Cyclone Missile Launcher.

If you don't have the book it's worth picking up.

The Siege Dreadnought rules have been rewritten to not suck which is a plus.

Archived