Japanese themed BA Chapter..

Morticon

Aside from samurai-esque hairstyles for your helmetless Veteran Sgts and ICs or SCs, I would definitely try to convert all the other helmets into kabuto. Kikou, armor, may be difficult to distinguish on top of power armor. As for standout weapons, the Blessed Bolter, power katanas (long swords) and wakizashis (shorter swords used for death blows).

Good Luck. :D

Sang Priests are possibly the easiest, in my mind, to theme towards something Japanese. Giving them a sashimono helps set them apart visually, and helps provide an object to explain the Grail effect.

Librarians could carry the Japa mala (psychic hood) and the Khakkhara (force weapon), taking the monk role.

Chaplains would be the high ranking "samurai", while all regular marines would be lower level ashigaru. Visually this would mean that Chaplains would have the more regal looking head-gear, much like our current BA "halos".

Whatever you do, though, please make Tachikomas/Fuchikomas for counts-as Dreadnoughts!

well il add my extreme samurai experience (from watching the last samurai and playing shogun total war 2 ;) ) you need a form of cavalary or somesuch. so either bikers or another small elite unit with things that the common rabble dont have (in the samurai (or whatever its called) that was a horse...and shiney armor)

sanguinary guard and/or honour guard fit the bill nicely i think :)

sanguinary guard in particular actually... samurai sometimes wore those masks and samurai folklore basicly put the fear in people because they thought they were demons (or somesuch) sounds like a good excuse as anything to include deathmasks :D

chaplains also fit in because of their masks and extreme zealousry (is that a word and/or is it spelled that way?) as samurai were basicly kill or be killed...come to think about most things were back in those days (and in 40K) but enough derailling B)

sound like our gruff chaplains to me!

the preffered weapon for a samurai was actually the bow (or so shogun tells me..) but they were no slouches with katana and the like either. so troops tactical marines? add 1 or 2 sanguinary guard units with character seasoning and add some attack bikes or such to deal with vehicles and youve got a pretty viable list i think :)

sorry that my knowledge from history comes from a hollywood movie and a video game btw :(

I'm not really going for historical accuracy here, just a cool looking army. I know that they favoured to bow but bows are foo foo poopy!

On the mask thing, I have been toying with that. Maybe shave the halo off a death mask and paint it White and red like a kabuki actor? Think that'll look pretty striking with black/dark armour.

Good idea for the dreads but I don't want to go too far from standard look of marines. Also as much as I love the Tachikoma the dreads will probably be more cc oriented so won't really look right. Want to do something with them though, perhaps using the dreadknight?

I'm pretty sure that the GW painting guide "How To Paint Space Marines" had some examples of somebody's Samurai-esq marines on the back page.

As for the dreads, it would have to be a FW Contemptor Dread with the Nemesis Dread Knight sword in a suitable slashy Samurai pose! (They are just so posable)

Hmmm...

You could give each warrior, instead of a Chainsword, a two handed blade (I would suggest Glaives Encarmines, that look a like Katanas in some way).

In aspect, I would not give them Kabutos or other famous japanese helmets. Mostly, because I always thought they looked weird in Space Marines. However, I think you should give them robes from the Dark Angels Upgrade. Most of the time, Japanese warriors trained with a Hakama, and the robes if well painted, could completely look like one.

Ran

Archived