A Noob's Question on Dark Angels

Mercy 0f Spades

Howdy B&C!

I've been playing Tyranids for a long while now and have decided to take a break and work on my original army- Dark Angels.

My question is which codex to the majority of "Dark Angels" players use? The SM or the 4th edition DA? I have some Death Wing and in the future hope to have a large force of Raven Wing but for right now I primarily use Tac and Vet squads. Would it be better for me to use the SM codex and just call my army Dark Angels or would it be more competitive to stick with the DA codex and focus on Raven Wing and Death Wing? Or do most players try to mix the rules of the two codexes because it's quite obvious of the old 4th edition limitations

Either way I'm fine. I'm just curious as to what the status quo currently is for the good ol' DA.

Thanks Again

Nathan

personally if it ant using the DA codex it ant DA... as for competitiveness CML DW with a side of 3 typhoons(all 3 FA choices) is a good start.

if you dont have the DW/RW then the C:DA sill does some things the C:SM cant, if you find those things dont match your play style then C:SM might be a better bet for you but dot just jump ship on "general" opinion.

To be honest I really don't care for the C:SM; the DA have always been way cooler. Years ago, when I was first looking into starting a Space Marine army it was the Dark Angels' affinity for plasma weapons (at least fluff wise) that first caught my eye. Sadly, when I checked the codex out I didn't really find a lot of love for the weapons. It's probably the reason I stopped collecting DA and went Tyranid.

The only unit from the C:SM that I'd really miss are the Sternguard Veterans. However, I know that the C:DA will be coming soon (5 years is soon to me lol) and that when it does it will have just as many options as the rest of the SM codexes. I'll be content with the 4th edition dex for now. Besides, I just did a pretty sick paint job on my old marine models. Can't just stop a good thing while it's still going.

As far as style goes... I'd play these guys for the sole reason of how stink'n cool they are.

Competive I'd say a greenwing (Meaning mainly power armoured units) you'd be better off playing codex SM. Nothing will keep you from using the codex you prefer though, so invent your own colour scheme and swap to your hearts content!

SM bike lists are a lotally different army from Ravenwing, but RW looks way cooler so I'd advise you to buy the RW boxed set anyways ( best buy for number of bikes for the price anyways and you get 3 supercool bits sprues as a bonus).

If you plan on DW heavy codex DA is a given,. we do the best terminator army in the game.

Greenwing has some minor benefits you can use so you don't handiap yourself to much, if built propperly it won't matter much when compaired to codex SM. But you will miss things like the twin autocannon dread and usefull techmarines for example.

Best advice I could give would to be that you build the lists with the units that you would like to play with, and see from there what gives you the best bang for the buck.

Well if you wana field and all termie army go for C:DA,

otherwise if you wana go for a bike army, go for C:SM with khan, youle have way more models on the table, but ul have lost the scout special rule, so u wont be able to turbo boost 1st turn. The outflanking tho will still stay!

Once i had allowed my bitterness to to consume me and i played them with the marine codex.

After that a brother lead me to the interrogator chaplain,i had a small time lapse and after that a little pain in the head,but ever since i use the DA codex.

otherwise if you wana go for a bike army,go for C:SM with khan,

Also after said lapse i have a tendency to scream:HERESYYYYYYYYYYY,and point with accusation at posts like that.

It's all style. The DA codex is measurably inferior/more expensive in most things, including Ravenwing/bikes compared to Codex Space Marine bike armies.

But if you're looking to play with Deathwing or Ravenwing (far older fluff than that plasma affinity bit), you can get a very strong list assembled but it requires finesse to play well with. These sorts of lists are NOT forgiving of play mistakes and suffer more from bad dice than most other lists.

Dark Angels may not have Sternguard or Vanguard Vets, but the company vets are strong in their own way and they run five man squads more efficiently than C:SM (but not C:SW) armies.

DA also has some of the coolest looking stuff on the table.

he brings Rites of Battle. For GW that means Ld tests for all Marines are always taken on 10 as long as he is alive.

This means you will rarely break when you take morale checks. A very handy advantage. Oh, and a fairly cheap HQ that can take a banner in a CS. However, Azrael is actually better, though very expensive in comparison. Depends on what your looking for. A CnC monster the C-M is not, hes a leader, someone to stick in a squad and lead them to victory as well as the whole army.

Belial is also a good one for a greenwing based army.

He is a master set of stats, the Ld 10 Rites of batte rule and TH&SS + terminator armour for a bargain price.

Then you could play with just command squad of Apothecary and banner boosted termies and since you have greenwing you could also go for the 2nd command squad he allows (very flexible unit just forgo the temptation to overload them for EVERYTHING (including the kitchen sink..)) can also be used as a form of tougher vets.

Bonus beeing that you have the termies scoring aswell, acting as a great bullet soak and cc deterent which keeps the rest of your army allive.

Other things Greenwing does well (Matching with this play) would be 5 men squads with a special (meltagun would usually be prefferred) in razors.

Then take the supercheap typhoon speeders to ad up your ranged potential and maybe take 2 dreads (venerable) and/or autocannon/heavy bolter preds. (Yes these are 10 pts more expensive then vanilla, still good for the points).

A very hard to budge (All Ld 10 remember) army with a lot of armour and a lot of shooting and some nice cc counter units so running up and charging you will not be a pleasent sensation.

Will this be the super best army ever? Probable not. But I'd take something like this with me to a tournament and feel confident I'd able to do well with it.

Feel free to play around the basic list dropping dreads for Ezekiel (Yeah fearless around him + unlimited range psychic hood) or no dreads but 3 dakapreds or mixing in a RW RAS squd, hatever you feel like using and it would be a solid showing of how a mixed DA army can operate and do well on the field.

Oh ... the day when our veterans have special ammunition will be a joyous day indeed...

Oh ... the day when our veterans have special ammunition will be a joyous day indeed...

And jump packs,just imagine sternguard vets with jump packs and hit and run.

:Goes to change pants...

OH please do not tell me you guys need the "easy" button to play with. That is another thing I love about Dark Angels. They do not have the "easy button" to play with. I guess being a Tyranid player as well seeing how SM armies keep getting easier, cheaper with more options just makes me roll my eyes. I don't know why, but I don't want to see the Dark Angels go that way.

I say use what ever codex, that will make you have the most fun. For me, I just can't use the SM codex. Call me stuborn, but I will never use the SM codex. I never even bought it. Any player I see, using the SM codex, I call them Fallen, in fun and jest. Just use what you like the most rules in, don't worry what anyone else says.

So what do you really want to do in your army? CC, assaulty, mech?

Just because we want a codex with options that doesnt handicap us we want an easy button?Do you think the marine codex has buttons too?I think you pass us for Grey knights.We want a workable codex not a single build codex.Been a tyranid player surely you understand the 'joy' of not been able to use half your list entries.

Just because we want a codex with options that doesnt handicap us we want an easy button?Do you think the marine codex has buttons too?I think you pass us for Grey knights.We want a workable codex not a single build codex.Been a tyranid player surely you understand the 'joy' of not been able to use half your list entries.

Maybe I shouldn't have used "the easy button" but was on Warseer and DakkaDakka before I came here and was reading alot of SM comments on how they needed things easier. It was stuck in my head when I came to the DA forums here.

Sorry wrong choice of words.

Archived