WW I style Land raider

Ch@oZ

Hi everybody! I got me a land raider before Christmas and while test-fitting it i got an idea. I thought the raider could be converted into something resembling a World War I British tank. The perks of such a conversion would be better gun range -moving the assault cannons, hurricane bolters and multimelta all about an inch forwards. Additionally the front ramp will look more realistic- the standard land raider doors make it look as if the terminators have to crawl through. The new gate looks like two termies can fit through at the same time. So what do You guys think? Is it a good idea? Does it look good so far? Isn't it cheating if the gun range is increased?

gallery_63508_6492_365072.jpg

gallery_63508_6492_189854.jpg

gallery_63508_6492_205553.jpg

gallery_63508_6492_543993.jpg

gallery_63508_6492_212429.jpg

Looking good Ch@oZ! I have done something similar and the results I believe look better than the usual GW Land Raider straight from the box. The only comment I would make would be to turn the exhausts 180 degrees otherwise the fumes are being sucked back into the tank. I don't want to thread jack (feel free to delete this post if you wish) but here are some shots of my WW1 style Land Raider (hope you don't mind):

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff118/philmorgan75/P1010200.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff118/philmorgan75/P1010199.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff118/philmorgan75/P1010201.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff118/philmorgan75/P1000908.jpg

Any questions on how I made this can be found on my ongoing LR conversion link:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...howtopic=123132

Regards, Brother Morgan.

Isn't it cheating if the gun range is increased?

I can't really see much difference between yours and a bog-standard GW one in range measuring. You gain what, perhaps an inch? I've seen plenty of people that don;t have guns at all on their tanks, so I certainly wouldn't complain about this one.

And it looks utterly brilliant. Well done sir, well done!

Thanks, Brother Morgan. I am familiar with your Land Raiders- found them while googling images for my conversion. It was in fact your conversions that convinced me to do mine. I have, however decided to take a slightly different approach- i intend to use much less decoration and to scavenge and use as many original parts i can- i don't trust my own plasticard skills enough to feel confident attempting such an extensive job. However- onto the progress i made. I'm considering making a tutorial from this one day- some of the parts have a before/after look:

First of all- the top of the raider. Top- before, bottom- after:

gallery_63508_6492_564552.jpg

The trackguards have been removed in 2 steps each, as you can see. they will be reinserted somewhere along the tracks.

Next- the filing/cutting required to fit the top to the sides, after view:

gallery_63508_6492_9230.jpg

Here you can see how the shortened top fits over the sides:

gallery_63508_6492_105932.jpg

The front weapon housing. Left=before, right=after:

gallery_63508_6492_141529.jpg

Here you can see how the modified front mount fits around the bolts of the new front:

gallery_63508_6492_461470.jpg

Here's the front again, to let you see how the new front fits with the whole bulk of the tank. The gap in the center will be filled with platicard:

gallery_63508_6492_312006.jpg

Another image of the back side- the line dotted with drill holes marks a line along which the vent piece will be cut in two- the gap will be either covered with a flat piece of plasticard or a framed mesh grating. The bottom vents will be moved backwards to the end of the track guards.

gallery_63508_6492_308513.jpg

As you can see the tank will be slightly bulkier and will look more like a battering ram, which is what the plan was all along.

@ Brother Morgan what did you use for the bolts on your raiders? i would like to replicate them if at all possible.

Thanks for your comments everybody. Further criticism is welcome, as always.

The rivets are from a company called tichytraingroup.com and are very reasonable approx £2.00 plus P &P for between 100 and 200 (depending on size). I use 0.4, 0.5, 0.6 and 0.7 depending on what I'm doing. They are the ones Machinator uses on his fell blades. Have a look at those if you want any inspiration for conversions. He also does tank tracks which are fab!!!!!

This is turning into a nice tutorial. Keep up the good work!

Regards, Brother Morgan

Just a quick update on my part- i just wanted to show how the bulk of the model will be shaped- as you can see it's significantly increased in size throughout the conversion:

front view showing the position of the assault cannons:

gallery_63508_6492_150397.jpg

back view showing one of the possible positions of the vents:

gallery_63508_6492_108195.jpg

side view showing increased bulk of the passanger compartment:

gallery_63508_6492_131131.jpg

I was actually considering doing something similar but using 2 sets of Leman Russ tracks to create my own Heresy era Land Raider.

That sounds like a promising idea- how were You planning to go about that?

I was planning on chopping the front third off of one (just in front of the sponson) and the rear third off another and attaching the the 2 larger halves together thus making one extended track section.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice land raider you got there. Looks like a whole lot of work. I like it.

And even if it is cheating to increase the gunrange like this, it´s cheating with style, so it´s no cheating :D . I´m mounting my land raider weapons also into the sidesponsons that are in the front of the tank, looks way better in my opinion.

Keep up the good work ´cause I can´t wait to see this baby finished.

Boo

I've always thought the side sponsons should be mounted in front of the hatch, to do otherwise would mean your access point would block the weapon...

your model looks great, I await further updates. My only suggestion would be to make the engine and exhaust more vertical, it looks "odd" to have it laid so far over.

I like what you have going on here. How were those tank treads to work with? I am thinking of buying some from the same vendor but was not sure about assembly. I want to make a Mk I version of a Landraider(open tread all around)

Ashton

Archived