Using the Marine Codex

Stuart

So as a quick gaming army, I'm throwing together a 2nd Edition style Dark Angels force, and for the time being I'm limiting myself to a Captain, Scouts, Tacticals, and Devastators.

I don't own the Dark Angel book but do own the Marine book. Are there enough differences between the two books that I should shell out for the Dark Angel book, given the units that I'm running? I don't wanna short change myself or my opponent, but I also don't wanna pay $33 for a Codex that's essentially identical to own that I already own.

*Edit: crap, posted this in the army lists section, which only somewhat makes sense. Sorry, mod squad!*

There is a significant difference given the units that you are running.

DA could actually make a higher points army using the standard FOC and the units in question. That is not to say that the DA force would be better/worse. I would recomend at least looking at the DA book to see if it has options you would find useful.(not sure if your LGS let you page through books)

Been away for a long time. Slowly coming back into 40K. So I could be wrong, but if you are not having any Termies or Bikes, then I can't see why you can't play the Fallen (just kidding there) and just use the Space Marine codex.

With the DA codex you can run DW and RW. You can use the C:SM do run RW if you wanted as well. Many people use the C:SM as their DA force, so you shouldn't have any worries there.

Again, been away for a long while so I can be wrong. I say look at a store copy if possible or borrow someone's elses copy to see what you really need in the DA codex. Alot of people complain that the DA codex is over priced and you will need to look at the DA FAQ to see what changes were made. I have a feeling you will not like the changes in the DA codex, so look before you buy. Remember we should be updated in the next 2 years sometime. (unless SW get updated before us.)

Rumour is BT is next, then with 6th edition in 2012 summer, that would mean SM get an update soon after. Rumour is SM maybe after BT and DA are updated, but you never know. So say after SM get updated that would leave DA next, unless as I said before SW get updated before us.

Space Wolves have been recently updated and will probs be left for quite sometime given to how many builds you can do with it, BT and Tau are the oldest Dexs out there as they still have the older 4th Layout with Wargear Lists (Ah nostalgia ;)) which means they will be strong contendors for a new dex.

Dark Angels, even though they have a few faults, are still a good army to collect and play, sure it maybe hard and you will defo have a few up hill struggles against those with fancy new toys, but you can still pull a victory out of the hat, besides we are the 1st legion, no one else can claim that.

Archived