shooty codicier for a drop pod army

Bismarxist

Hi there everyone I have a question for y'all.

Given this list ODST how would you run a PA librarian?

Right now I am planning on cutting the vanguard down to 5 men and just taking a codicier with avenger and smite to augment the CHQ's shooting. Alternatively I was considering an epistolary with might and quickening but since I have to use them in my turn I don't think that he would survive CQC long enough to fire them off. So any thoughts or suggestions. also how do you guys rate "shooty" PA librarians in general?

P.S. I know that I have some weaker choices in the army but that is pretty much the way I am going to run it.

Yeah, normal librarian and avenger. If going epistolary may want to consider dome or null. Dome gives your attached squad a 5++ till the next turn, which might be warranted. Null of course might be more important if your opponent has lots of ++ saves. Gate might even be more fun if you want to rapidly deploy away the following turn. IF your opponents typically have hoods, may want a backup weapon for the libby because you might not be able to get avenger off when you need it.

On the other hand (w/o codex as I write this) might be a problem with dome as IIRR you might have to cast it at the beginning of your turn (before a pod can come in, so might not be used turn 1...victim of weird wording). Other concept is smite or vortex instead of avenger. Risks with both when in just PA. You must accept that your podded units will likely be assaulted on the opponents turn after arrival by the survivors of your shooting, OR just shot all to crap. On the other hand, if your list is dready (like 3 ironclads), drop the dreads with beacons turn 1, libby pod and separate vanguard come from reserves turn 2 or so when you have the better advantage on their employment.

Regardless, the libby likely needs careful deployment. Bubble wrapped by another unit or something like that, as their best value is to bolster or support rather than get wacked in assault as an IC early.

Yeah I know full well how powerful avenger can be, since it's been dropped on my head a fair number of times, but what I am really interested in hearing about is Smite. since my army is basically built around a 35-40 man 1st Company drop (30 stern 5-10 van) followed up by a 25-35 drop by 3rd company (2-3 tactical squads and the command squad), I can't really trick out the CHQ so was thinking by running Smite/Avenger in the squad it would give them a hefty kick, but looking around most army lists I didnt really see many people running Smite. I can see why it wouldn't really be popular with the libby's BS 4 but with 4 shots at ap2 how much would that be mitigated? also if smite isnt that useful do you have any suggestions on the 2nd power?

Archived