chainsword injuries

Ratboy1664

Is a chainsword designed to cut or tear? E.g if an orc had its arm choppped off above the elbow would the would be straight and clean or raggedy and torn? Was it designed to rip open the central body mass of an oppponenent? I ask as I want to model some flesh tearers victims and to make them look good I wondered how the weapon is considered to work. Thanks in advance

You must think two things before deciding on that:Normal physics and w40k physics.

In normal physics it would work exactly like a chainsaw.It would hack an unarmored opponent apart,but to me its primary use of the chainteeth is to bust open the armor and then pulverize the interior.It is possible to have hacked and severed limps as chainsword 'wounds' but in the case of lets say Ogrins or Chaos marines a gory mangled mess would be more realistic.

But ofc most people think that chain in the teeth is there for the fun and that is absolutely logical to have chainsword duels...

So my verdict is do it whatever you wish,nobody would place much thought to it.I want to see those too if you can model the wounds on that scale it would be awesome.

When I think of chainswords and what they do I dont think so much of the actual wood cutting chainsaws, I think of a combination of the carbide tipped spinning discs used on saws and reciprocating saw to cut metal and composite plate with sparks flying everywhere as the blade contacts armour or deflects off it as the case may be. Armour damage would show these glancing scrapes as well as clean cut lines and torn armour edges but you would still have semi clean cuts, the marines direct their blows right ? an orc would hack wildly.

Archived