Project-Blood Angels by a colorblind painter

csandvik

Hey all,

I decided to start a log to keep me going as I paint my Blood Angels army. I hope to post on a regular basis, however, grad school may interfere at times

I decided to start small and try to paint most, if not all, before I add to the army. I began with my Death Company as they are my favorite units. I will post pics when I get home tomorrow.

Oh and the fun part of the whole thing is, I'm colorblind! :lol: I have a good idea of which color to use for highlighting and shading. My wife will tell me which color is what I paint. I can see some colors just not the way most people do.

I hope you have fun following my progress.

Any comments or criticism is welcome.

Happy New Year to all!

Dark Apostle:

It really can be a pain :huh: but I still find it relaxing. I do find myself painting some areas over because I can't tell if I painted it or not :tu:

I will now begin my 10 hour trip home from Michigan to Virginia. I will try to get some pics up of my on DC w/a Thunder hammer.

i can imagine it being quite a pain at times... i myself have a really hard time differenciating between yellow and green (and sometimes red, even), knowing its one of those, but not being able to really see which... i can imagine you actually somewhat have an advantage in shading/higligting things, though :tu:

A really good friend of mine, who is color blind, painted multiple armies and painted them very well. Would they qualify for Golden Demon? No, but they looked very nice on the table and in fact his Sisters of Battle, as intricate as they are as figures were awesome looking.

You just go with the flow, focus on the tonal changes while your painting, and lean on your color spotter (i.e. wife) for help.

Real story: I used to work with a guy, who generally wore decent color combinations. One day he showed up with super bright orange pants, a bright blue shirt, yellow socks and black shoes. Initially, no one said anything because the combination was literally painful to look at. Eventually the story got out that his wife had to go to work early and had not laid out his clothes for him so he dressed himself.

After that, everytime he came in looking a bit off, we just asked, "Did your wife have to go in early today?"

Great guy though.

Looking forward to seeing some painted guys!

Cheers,

Real story: I used to work with a guy, who generally wore decent color combinations. One day he showed up with super bright orange pants, a bright blue shirt, yellow socks and black shoes. Initially, no one said anything because the combination was literally painful to look at. Eventually the story got out that his wife had to go to work early and had not laid out his clothes for him so he dressed himself.

After that, everytime he came in looking a bit off, we just asked, "Did your wife have to go in early today?"

Cheers,

I LOL'd! :)

Hope all had a good celebration last night :D

Honda: That is funny. I swear my wife will tell me things match just to mess with me.

I was able to snap of a couple of pics last night.

My DC w/ Thunderhammer

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g201/csandvik/DSC_0364.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g201/csandvik/DSC_0365.jpg

I have some more units to add to the growing list of minis to paint.

I picked up 2 boxes of Assault marines and a Devastator squad.

My immediate plans are to finish off the DC and DC Dred maybe Astorath. Hopefully in the next 2-3 weeks they will be complete. I will update with pics.

I have to order some magnets to swap some arms and backpacks. Anybody know of a good place and which ones to order?

Thanks

ebay is always a good shout for magnets, I use round 3mm x 1mm ones as they're small enough to use on silly things like arms and backpacks, but still strong enough to hold on things like tank guns.

Oh, and a 3mm drill bit will fit into most pin drills.

Hello,

I ordered up some magnets for my assault marines backpacks and for future use. Thanks for the information guys.

Painting is going slow, I have to get all set up for grad school and I got a few games of MW3 in as well as watching some football. ^_^

I twill pick up soon.

I was able to finish up another DC.

Here they are, and again comments/criticisms are welcome. Please let me know what you think or any mistakes you see.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g201/csandvik/DSC_0373.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g201/csandvik/DSC_0371.jpg

Archived