DC Dread ( A quick question)

Sir Blayse

Ok I finally decided to add a DC dread to my army. I'm never happy with dreads either getting stuck in close combat ( killing maybe one model a turn) or getting stunned and then just sitting there while the opponent flanks to it's rear.

A DC dread with both Talons and NSmW should be able to get around both of these problems. I'm certainly taking the Heavy flamer over the Stormbolter, knowing that I plan to use him to deal with hordes of Orks and bugs. But, should I add on a Magna-grapple? For 15 points I get another 12" str 8 shot. It adds a bit of anti-vehicle power as well. Now first off is it worth it? Anyone had a chance to really try it out? Being able to possibly bring an enemy vehicle closer is appealing, can it be combined with the melta for getting melta range or do they happen simultaneously, etc?

I'm going to use a drop pod to bring him to battle, so he will get started pretty early. Hopefully he will be a big enough distraction to get my forces into range for attack.

Agreed. A Magna-Grapple is most useful for helping you get in charge range of a tank in case the Melta/Grapple fail to kill it- with Talons instead of Fists, you're going to be hard-pressed to hurt a tank, so I see little point in charging it. Moreover, as Morticon says, you're going to want to take advantage of Fleet more often, as it can get you into charge range of your chosen targets more easily.

The Heavy Flamer is not a terrible idea, but I wouldn't take it as a high priority, either. It adds to your anti-infantry role, but more often than not I find I have other things to spend my points on.

(And to be clear: I think the Blood Fists are almost always a superior option to Talons, but that Talons can be more hilarious. If only a Librarian Dread could get a pair of Talons...)

With my legendary bad dice rolls, I'll stick with the Talons ( being able to reroll my 'ones' to wound will be nice). Of course last nights kill team was pretty epic. I ran 8 tacs and a priest. Priest was hit by 3 pathfinders, no cover available he dives for cover. To my ( and everyone else) surprise, he makes all three. Of course later in close combat I manage to roll 2's and one's on every CC attack or wound roll. Spending the next 3 turns locked in with pointy-eared jawas...

Plus, str 7 on the charge against rear armor shouldn't be too bad should I need to attack a vehicle, ( though not planning to do much of that). I'd rather rip up warriors and swarms of hormagaunts. I'll sideboard that grapple though. I don't see myself using it, flamer might not be bad though, in case I'm stuck dealing with enemies in a bunker or if I get close enough to use it. ( I already put it on him, so don't see myself dropping it until I do a furioso...)

Thanks, for the help guys.

My Death Company dread has always been great to run I take a flamer and talons usually or just blood fists but be careful you will only use the flamer half the time when wound allocation comes around you may have the closest models removed and find the dread short on the charge. The dread from a pod or raven is awesome I have watched that dread chop a whole khornezerker squad on his own or mow through Shrike and his 10 man squad.

My Death Company dread has always been great to run I take a flamer and talons usually or just blood fists but be careful you will only use the flamer half the time when wound allocation comes around you may have the closest models removed and find the dread short on the charge. The dread from a pod or raven is awesome I have watched that dread chop a whole khornezerker squad on his own or mow through Shrike and his 10 man squad.

I'm hoping to use it for those occasions when the pod drops in close and I can't charge anyway. Plus, it helps with it's fear factor. I can only hope that mine will be as successful as that. I'm not very fond of my opponents 'zerkers' and Khârn. Though Khârn will probably still just rip through it also.

Archived