My Successor Chapter Fluff

Mercy 0f Spades

Howdy B&C!

I know this probably gets brought up a lot but I wanted some advice from those of you who may be steeped in DA lore. Since I've decided to jump head first into Dark Angels I've taken the initiative to create my own fluff. My real concern is that my personal fluff what match what would actually happen in the 40k universe. Now, I haven't written anything out but here's the gist of it:

The chapter is named the Angels of Desolation and have been declared Renegade by the Imperium. They are NOT Fallen Angels or Chaos. Instead they are extremely loyal to the Empire and since their founding have had very close ties to their parent chapter. During a long hunt for the Fallen, the Angels of Desolation had to make the choice between severely crossing the Inquisition or allowing a large group of Fallen to escape; the overzealous marines choose the former. Since then they have become excommunicated from the Empire and hunted by the Inquisition. The Dark Angels refuse to have anything to do with them but fully understand the real reason for their sentence. Though the DA have not and will not help the Renegades they also don't go out of their way to fight them. Instead, coming up with "convenient" reasons to pursue other agendas. However, there have been times where conflict was unavoidable (usually due to the prescience of individuals outside of the Dark Angels chapter) and in which case they exterminated the AoD ruthlessly.

The Angels of Desolation still fervently hunt the Fallen (now with even more zeal) but are forever damned in the eyes of the Imperium.

So what do you think? Please give me some feed back so I can keep working on it. As a former video game designer and story writer I'd rather keep the details obscured and from the view point of the Inqusition and the Inner Circle of the Dark Angels' chapter and successor chapters.

By the way, I'm so naming all of my marines lol. For instance, my plasma gunner's (the AoD have an effinity for plasma weapons) name is Vasquez. You can't don't that within the limits of Tyranid fluff so I'm relishing it now! lol Anyways, hit me back up on which direction I should take this stuff! Oh and I really really really don't want to do a Fallen Angels chapter (that just seems real cliche)

Nathan

Howdy.

I suggest that you keep the relationship with the rest of the Unforgiven stormy, but not of open warfare. If they're at a point where they're exterminating them ruthlessly... well, let's say it'd be easier to just cut off that loose end than pretending it doesn't exist. With that said, the Dark Angels are notorious for their tendency to keep their own council in matters of warfare, and it's not uncommon for them to just pull out of a campaign at a perceived slight or news of a juicier target. Providing a reason for not fighting their Successor down on its luck is not something they really have to do. <_<

There was already a schism in the Legion, let's not make another one.

Perhaps a mixture of protection and being given the more excrementitious assignments would work better, since they're for all purposes an "expendable" chapter that won't raise much more suspicion if caught acting in manners contrary to the benefit of the Imperium (because the Fallen ain't a threat to everyone, hah!). I suggest making them a "black ops" Chapter of sorts. They have access to initiates and armament by virtue of their Unforgiven brethren, but are otherwise on their own in the uncaring universe, for the most part.

Man,

Both of those concepts sound extremely amazing to me. I really wish I didn't like the standard Deathwing Colorscheme so much I would be looking at writing something like this. I just don't have a strong enough grasp on the political structure of the story-setting. Blah.

Paul

For instance, my plasma gunner's name is Vasquez.

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/817/vasquez001a.gif

Amirite?

I like your ideas.. Only thing I can suggest is having some extended communication/interaction with Cypher. :] Maybe you support him? Maybe you provide him travel on his "quests" towards Terra.

Maybe you try to hunt him to look good in the eyes of the Imperium?

Persi

@ TheWatchCaptain

That sounds pretty good. So I guess the Dark Angels don't really have a problem keeping big secrets from the Inquisition? I always figured it was a very strained and tedious relationship between the two groups. I mean, I know that the Space Wolves once openly attacked the Inquisition when they came to Fenris to investigate rumors of heresy... the Inquisition thought it best to "let sleeping dogs lie" lol

Anything ever happen like that to the DA?

The DA are veery good at making nosy people disappear or never come close :teehee:

So, no. Not yet.

This is an interesting concept. I think the old Legion here would be the key to follow. Like the watchcaptin said, the Inner Circle probably would us the AoD as a secret expendable chapter for their own goals. Maybe they also lobby for the return of their successors to the Imperial fold??

@ TheWatchCaptain

That sounds pretty good. So I guess the Dark Angels don't really have a problem keeping big secrets from the Inquisition? I always figured it was a very strained and tedious relationship between the two groups. I mean, I know that the Space Wolves once openly attacked the Inquisition when they came to Fenris to investigate rumors of heresy... the Inquisition thought it best to "let sleeping dogs lie" lol

Anything ever happen like that to the DA?

I'm with WatchCaptainAzrael on that. Unforgiven will not turn on each other and frankly no one can make them. In fact the Imperial authorities usually request the assistance of a Space Marine Chapter - not demand it. And they can be turned down with very little justification, it's just the nature of things...

Archived