9 Man HQ+ Twinked-Sargent Tac Squad in Rhino

ImperialGuardian

I really have trouble finding a spot to put a power armored captain/HQ in an army list. (Keep in mind my drop pod is only half put together)

I was wondering what your guys thoughts were on the 9 man tactical squad with HQ load out. This is a very broad question so I would like to break it down into 3 point tiers...

How good would this be in 750 pts games?

How good would this be in 1000 pts games?

How good would this be in 1250+ pts games?

I tried it out in my 750 pts list and it seemed like a great way to deal with the difficulty of finding a spot for my HQ. I actually liked it better than the Razorback + 5 man squad because the tactical squad was not simply useless.

The weapons I used were:

(140 + 234 points)

Captain w/ combi plasma + relic blade

Sargent w/ power fist + combi flamer

8 bolter squad

1 Rhino w/ hunter killer

For reference the rest of my army was:

(100 pts) 5 man scout snipers + rocket launcher + camo

(140 pts) Rifleman dread with extra armor to fill in the points

(135 pts) Vindicator w/ siege shield and hunter killer missile

In a larger game, I'd consider a 8 or so man assault squad in a rhino for the captain. Better in combat, and can still take a flamer or plasma pistol on one guy. Loses access to the combi weapon on the sergeant though.

Doesn't sound too shabby in games at or below the 1500 point mark.

You've got a Rhino to tool around in, and enough bolters to pull of a nice little 12" driveby shooting. Old school Rhino Rush tactics. Neat.

I'd probably change up the Captain's wargear though. I'd drop that combiplasma for hellfire rounds. Same points, but can be used repeatedly. Hit on 2+, wound on 2+. The ony problem is the armor save it allows. But, it matches the damage of the bolters in the rest of the squad.

Speaking of hellfire...why not a 9-man Sternguard unit instead? I've seen that used before, and to good effect.

I pull some tricks with one list at 1000, but it works well here just fine. If you plan on assaulting anyway, why not take packless assault marines and get the rhino for free? They're not scoring, granted, but it's a net gain in attacks and the rhino is a freebie.

Can always pick up a flamer/ power fist for the packless assault squad too.

Keep in mind that you'll hardly be a death dealing machine; 5 marines and a captain won't scare the pants off many things ;)

This is partly why I never really take standard captains, it's just so hard to find a place for them beyond biker armies which need them.

If you don't intend to combat squad Sternguard then they as others have mentioned make a great place to put a HQ as they don't lose the ability to take weapons below 10 members. A librarian will probably do better in this situation though, GoI with Sternguard can be a lot of fun!

I usually run my captain with a combat squad sporting a meltagun and a powerfist. My captain is all maxed out in Artificier's Armor, with Storm Shield and Relic Blade. This means a really medicore unit becomes really dangerous once it unloads. And with a fist and a relic blades there are few things they can't handle.

True they won't do much damage to dedicated CC units, but it can take out most other things. Cleans up another combat squad without much trouble, for instance. Keep in mind that it is more of a counter-charge unit.

why the extra armor on the rifleman dread? to move while stunned? What for?

It allows him to reposition it. He may need to clear another unit's line of fire, or duck out of the line of fire of whatever it was that shot at and stunned it. Maybe both arms got blown off and now he's just going to run into combat and kick things to death just to maintain a measure of utility.

Archived