Khorne mural

Melekharn

Greetings all!

Joined up here purely because my fiance wants feedback on the following vindicator.

Firstly, some background story behind this...

We were in the process of entering a tank painting competition at our local GW store, so she picked out the Chaos Vindicator as it has a nice big dozer blade that offered a nice flat surface for a desired mural, and it was the only "useable" model for either of our armies. So, paint burhs in hand, she decided to follow Khorne because she wwanted to paint a particularly bloody scene, and Khorne was really the only fitting god.

It's here that we run into our first issue; Khorne and mural don't go well together... If at all.

Upon showing her 24 hours of solid painting to the staff at our local GW, they commented on how well everything was painted, but quickly pointed out the mural "wasn't suited to the army."

"Khorne worshippers don't have the time to paint pretty things on their vehicles. And the machine spirit, as corrupted as it is, would sooner roll over the artist in its thirst for blood."

Now, I know most of you will be shaking your heads thinking "Its not about what other people think, its not about what suits the army, but whether you are happy with the end results."

Lets face it, we've all seen the Hello Kitty army. Does it follow the norm? Emperor, no! Is it well put together? Well, it is a very strong theme. It doesn't take my fancy, but I can appreciate the effort put into it.

The issue is, my fiance takes things to heart. She is now thinking of re-painting the mural and possibly the whole tank simply because "it doesn't fit."

Myself? I fall in the "If you're happy with it, who cares whether it fits or not" catagory. I think she has done an incredible job on this piece and I beleive it deserves to stay.

You can judge for yourself below.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll54/Digitaliss/my%20models/DSCF1465.jpg

My reasoning for this post is two-fold.

A> Do you think a Khorne Tank should have a mural at all, or is the idea too far fetched?

B> If you think a mural is suited, does this one fit? If not, what would you suggest?

Thank you all for your time, and we appreciate your C&C.

~Melekharn & Digitaliss

I recall reading stories that Blood Angels often use art as a way of keeping the Red Thirst at bay. It keeps their minds occupied and away from stray thoughts of their dying Primarch.

I see no reason why a Berzerker couldn't do the same, as a way to keep his mind under control between battles.

Very artistic indeed. Gives me warm welcome to the blood god, to take skulls for the skull throne. Opinions are just that, I think they mural is fantastic. A Raven is a nice addition to picking the bones clean type of feel. I see it as a "there isnt anything left to add to the throne mural.

I would tell her to keep it. It is a fantastic piece of work. As you said, it goes by "if you're happy with it" keep it mentality. Whether or not it fits is your own decision. I think just because khorne doesn't have time to paint, doesn't mean their servants can't do it for them. The corrupted machine can deal with it, it is just a pawn to the gods anyway.

I still stand by she should keep it, I really like it.

Very well done and it's not a mural, it's a "mobile alter". you cannot sit in front if it looking down that huge barrel and not be moved. So if they bulk about it some more, that is so that Khorne worshippers can worship their deity no matter how far or buried in the foe they are.

If you want to disprove what was said, have a look at the Sabbat Worlds Crusade source book. It's based around Dan Abnett's fiction, and part of it includes the report of an Imperial recapture of a Khorne-held city. There's a painting that was apparently found on a wall as propoganda, and it is a fantastic rendition of a Khorne Berserker.

Not all Khorne worshippers are batsh*t insane. The Khorne warlord in the Sabbat worlds is a fantastic strategist and also an expert at psychological warfare. People find it too easy just to take extremes of something, but it's not always the case. I'm sure in the galaxy populated with trillions of humans there will be an artist dedicated to the God of Slaughter.

I'm sure in the galaxy populated with trillions of humans there will be an artist dedicated to the God of Slaughter.

And I'm sure he would mix his paint with real blood! :cuss

Hey all.

Thank you for the swift replies, they are greatly appreciated.

The other half is still not sure if she is happy with the tank or not, but she is now looking at the tank itself. She's relatively happy with the mural thanks to your kind words, she just would like to make the tank look more dedicated.

From the little fluff I've read, just about every army will decorate its vehicles and buildings in some sort of artistic fashion, so I failed to see why this wouldn't be suitable.

I'll keep you updated on the process of her paintings, and I'll probably start my own thread for my CSM once I get things unpacked and back in order.

~Melekharn

More skulls for the throne!!! You could always use a splatter effect. Grab a tank brush and thin out some dark red and either flick or blow on the tip of the brush to add splatter on the armour then add a bit of contrast to it. I think it would look excellent in the ways of "I ran people over and still wanted more."

The staff are talking rot mate, there is nothing to say that khorne worshippers don't paint murals on their vehicles and that is just their blinkered opinion. It looks very good in my opinion. :)

Khorne is also the god of martial pride and honour which is something that is often over looked in all the established beserker screaming about skulls and blood which is a shame. The scene reminds me of something from the first world war.

Maybe she could work a few subtle Khorne icons onto the piece, maybe even shape the clouds in the top right so that it looks like they are forming the classic khorne icon.

Archived