My Stormraven conversion project

As to those of you who are begging for a tutorial, I'm certainly not speaking on behalf of adeptuscustodus, but in my opinion, this is a complicated and advanced build. If you are a good enough scratch-builder to pull off this type of conversion, then you should be competent enough to look at the pictures he's provided and make your own without a template. If he's kind enough to make a tutorial, he's a much kinder man than I am. ^_^

We ask for a tutorial because it is a fabulous piece or work as stated since the beginning of the thread and wish for the owner to leave a piece of his creativity for future gamers and collectors alike. As some of can create such a thing out of scratch, there are some that lack in the motivation to do so without details and images to boot. As for the competent enough comment, I didn't seem to understand why you seem to put that this was an insult in asking him for a tutorial, more of an honour that people enjoy the work and wish it to be documented for others as I stated above. Let's try to not poke each other on what they are "competent enough" at and just enjoy the work of art and work together on getting this guy cemented in an awesome tutorial for the B&C forum for history.

I'm sorry if my comment came across as somehow offensive or insulting to you. That was not my intention. Nor am I "poking" anyone. It is my honest belief that such a complex build as this is beyond the skill of most modelers out there --even if they had a reasonably detailed tutorial to follow. This is not meant as an insult to the general modeling community, but as praise to the OP whose work is certainly above that of the average forum-goer. Further, it is my belief that if an individual is is advanced enough in his or her modeling skill to attempt such a build in the first place, then they are advanced enough to do so without a tutorial. Disagree if you like, but that is my opinion. It's not meant to be offensive, it's meant to be a fair assessment of the ability required to complete such a build.

As to those of you who are begging for a tutorial, I'm certainly not speaking on behalf of adeptuscustodus, but in my opinion, this is a complicated and advanced build. If you are a good enough scratch-builder to pull off this type of conversion, then you should be competent enough to look at the pictures he's provided and make your own without a template. If he's kind enough to make a tutorial, he's a much kinder man than I am. :)

We ask for a tutorial because it is a fabulous piece or work as stated since the beginning of the thread and wish for the owner to leave a piece of his creativity for future gamers and collectors alike. As some of can create such a thing out of scratch, there are some that lack in the motivation to do so without details and images to boot. As for the competent enough comment, I didn't seem to understand why you seem to put that this was an insult in asking him for a tutorial, more of an honour that people enjoy the work and wish it to be documented for others as I stated above. Let's try to not poke each other on what they are "competent enough" at and just enjoy the work of art and work together on getting this guy cemented in an awesome tutorial for the B&C forum for history.

I'm sorry if my comment came across as somehow offensive or insulting to you. That was not my intention. Nor am I "poking" anyone. It is my honest belief that such a complex build as this is beyond the skill of most modelers out there --even if they had a reasonably detailed tutorial to follow. This is not meant as an insult to the general modeling community, but as praise to the OP whose work is certainly above that of the average forum-goer. Further, it is my belief that if an individual is is advanced enough in his or her modeling skill to attempt such a build in the first place, then they are advanced enough to do so without a tutorial. Disagree if you like, but that is my opinion. It's not meant to be offensive, it's meant to be a fair assessment of the ability required to complete such a build.

So your point is that in order to be able to follow a tutorial and make this, you would have to be good enough to have made it without a tutorial in the first place? I don't agree, while it does take a lot of skill to make something as clean and frankly awesome as this Storm Raven in writing a tutorial AdeptusCustodes could tell others what to do to avoid certain problems he encountered during his build. Perhaps even refine his build process to make it better.

Not only that, I won't buy a Storm Raven til I know I can make it awesome, like this one. So knowing what I need to be able to do to make one like this before I buy the kit would be a massive plus.

So your point is that in order to be able to follow a tutorial and make this, you would have to be good enough to have made it without a tutorial in the first place? I don't agree. . .

Look guys, I can see that I've touched a nerve with a number of you, but I really don't think it's fair to Adeptuscutodus to continue this theoretical discussion in his thread. No doubt he will either agree to give you a template, or he won't --a good conclusion to the discussion either way :rolleyes:

Thanks for the comments everyone, keeps me very motivated. :lol:

If I have some time I will try to do some sort of tutorial with explanations on how I did some things only have to warn that I can move as slow as a glacier especially since I'm not so much of a writer...

Anyways it is possible to make a copy by looking at the photos as many measurements depend and can be taken from the original parts, and if not feel free to ask and I will try to assist any way I can.

@ Brother Xeones, Thanks for you're feedback, thought about doing the nose like you photoshopped only chose to go this route to give it a bit off streamlining (as far as bricks go that is) Canopy will get some treatment as well,

just not sure exactly what.

@ Lexington, Would be nice to go the Chapterhouse route only GW's lawyers are scaring me to do so (Would be nice if Forgeworld themselves would pick up something like this)

First off, bravo on the conversion. It's very impressive and well thought out. It definitely looks like a close cousin to it's big brother, the Thunderhawk.

The only thing that bothers me is that it doesn't appear that you extended the fuselage (like the Chapterhouse kit). This is just my opinion, but the tadpole profile of the original design, is it's single biggest defect. Perhaps it's just the angle of the shots that is confusing me.

Did you extend the entire fuselage or is it just the top bit that is extended?

That doesn't take away from your magnificent effort, but it would be one thing that I would consider if I were taking the same path.

Two thumbs up.

Cheers,

I'll just toss in my $0.02 worth of praise and respect. As someone who works in plasticard quite a bit, I can tell that's a very ambitious conversion, and you've executed it beautifully. It's not for the faint-of-heart to chop up an expensive kit like the Stormraven to make changes of this nature.

My only gripe is that the scope of the changes required that you completely remove the VTL jets on the nose and wings. But I can completely understand why. Making the changes you have, and keeping them, would have added considerably to the complexity of the build. That is, unless you're still going to reincorporate them, in which case I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Note to self: People want more Stormraven conversion kits, along these lines. Might just need to get my hands on a kit someday, and see if I can come up with something. The real trick is coming up with parts that can 'bolt on' to the existing kit without requiring major modification of the original model. Most people are willing to add custom parts, but I suspect that many would be intimidated with cutting up the original model to accommodate said parts. I see that as the major hurdle to making a 3rd party kit of this nature and scope.

...The only thing that bothers me is that it doesn't appear that you extended the fuselage (like the Chapterhouse kit)...

That's actually one of the reasons that I like what he's done. I don't really like the Chapterhouse kit because their extension makes the whole thing look a little too much like a flying bus. You can tell that Adeptuscustodus extended the back at least a little because you can see that the wings are set farther back than they are in the stock kit (compare where the engines are in relation to the "notches" in the fuselage designed to accommodate them). It looks like he then took the extra space created by that rearward move to extend the dreadnought carrying bay. This change is exactly what this kit needed IMO. It extends the rear portion of the model to a more believable degree while keeping it from becoming too bulky and make the dreadnought transport bay appear much less like an afterthought. :lol:

As to those of you who are begging for a tutorial[...]

The hell with a tutorial - I want him to go all Chapterhouse and make this into a mass-produced conversion kit! :eek

seconded! this looks awesome!

Archived